• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deism - a prospect

Gemma Cusack

A free spirit
I would like to put forward this question. I studied philosophy at A-level and became intrigued by the deist theory. But I never really came to understand deism in depth. Rather I know the basics. Anyway, my question is.

Is deism a more complex representation of an agnostic trying to accept the possibility of there being a God, or is deism a representation that we feel alone, and are trying to find a way of making ourselves feel better?

I am :sorry1: if this question either sounds completely idiotic or makes no sense, but then, you will come to understand how confused I am by deism itself. I know this is probably hypocritical of me, but surely, there is either a yes or a no answer to the existence of God, and not a in-between measurment.

I :bow: anyone who can put it into context for me.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Deism is a philosophical belief in the existence of a God (or Prime Mover) on the basis of reason, and observation of the natural world alone. Deist believe this God is intrapersonal and is not involved directly in its creation.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]The Deist looks at the natural world and infers that this could not have been an accident. Admittedly, we also desire a sense of astonishment and connection to something greater than ourselves and define that “something” as God. Deists also believe that Reason is one our most important gifts and that we should use our own Reason to develop our beliefs regarding God.[/SIZE][/FONT]
I do believe that "God", to a Modern Deist, is truly a speculative idea. Since we know we did not create the creation or ourselves, yet we and the creation do exist, it is reasonable to assume that God exists.
This is not "dogmatic". With advancements in our understanding of the Laws of Nature, we may learn more about God, or the First Cause, or we may logically find another answer that is more reasonable.
In physics, many times an idea of a particle is assumed to exist merely because one can see the reactions of other observable matter around the unseen particle. Sometimes this "unseen particle" is finally observed. Other times a more reasonable explanation is found.
Such is the Deists reasonable assumption of God.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif]Are You A Deist? You Might Be If: [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Garamond, serif][FONT=Georgia, Garamond, serif]1. You believe in a God but are not accepting of the authoritarian creeds of any particular religion.

2. You believe that God's word is the universe (nature), not human-written holy books.

3. You like to reason or speculate what God might be like rather than be taught about it.

4. You think that religious ideas should reconcile with and not contradict science.

5. You believe God can be best found outside rather than inside a church building.

6. You enjoy the freedom of seeking spirituality on your own.

7. You are morally guided by ethics and conscience rather than by scriptures or reveled revelations.

8. You are an individual thinker whose religious beliefs are not formed from tradition or authority.

9. You like to call yourself rational or spiritual before you call yourself religious.

10. You believe that religion and government (church and state) should be separate.
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Garamond, serif][FONT=Georgia, Garamond, serif]Copyright 2002 Jay Boswell [/FONT][/FONT]

Daemon Sophic

.....snip....
In physics, many times an idea of a particle is assumed to exist merely because one can see the reactions of other observable matter around the unseen particle. Sometimes this "unseen particle" is finally observed. Other times a more reasonable explanation is found.
Such is the Deists reasonable assumption of God.
[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif]Are You A Deist? You Might Be If: [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Garamond, serif][FONT=Georgia, Garamond, serif]1. You believe in a God but are not accepting of the authoritarian creeds of any particular religion.[/FONT]

2. You believe that God's word is the universe (nature), not human-written holy books.

3. You like to reason or speculate what God might be like rather than be taught about it.

4. You think that religious ideas should reconcile with and not contradict science.

5. You believe God can be best found outside rather than inside a church building.

6. You enjoy the freedom of seeking spirituality on your own.

7. You are morally guided by ethics and conscience rather than by scriptures or reveled revelations.

8. You are an individual thinker whose religious beliefs are not formed from tradition or authority.

9. You like to call yourself rational or spiritual before you call yourself religious.

10. You believe that religion and government (church and state) should be separate.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Garamond, serif][FONT=Georgia, Garamond, serif]Copyright 2002 Jay Boswell [/FONT][/FONT]
:eek: :eek: :cool:

Tumbleweed41? I would like to thank you (and this 'Jay Boswell' person). That last conceptualization of Deist thought in your first post, and this series of statements in the second is perhaps the best, and most concise summation of deist ideology I've seen.
This is the sort of thing I came to this forum for in the first place.
:clap: :shout: :bow:

P.S. - I however, remain agnostic, since per Boswell's first line:
[FONT=Georgia, Garamond, serif][FONT=Georgia, Garamond, serif]"1. You believe in a God but are not accepting of the authoritarian creeds of any particular religion."[/FONT][/FONT]
I do not accept the teachings of any particular religion, but I also do not capitulate to the starting position that a God must exist. :shrug: But your thought is truly intriguing.

Thank you again.