• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democracy, political parties, and lobbyists

anotherneil

There are those out there who say that we're a democracy, yet policy is determined by political party platforms and lobbyists.

I don't see how lobbyists have any business existing at all, because legislators are supposed to be setting policy based on their constituents who put them in office, which is not compatible or consistent with the concept of lobbying; before they're even elected to public office, they should already have their goals/mission/agenda or whatever you want to call it established.

By even entertaining the idea of taking lobbyists' interests into consideration, they're already deciding that rather than listening to their constituents, they're going to listen to special interest groups instead. Lobbyists are thus the adversaries of democracy.

Political parties are also adversaries of democracy; the reason I say this is because when a politician belongs to a political party, they've established that their loyalty is to the political party rather than their constituents. Political parties are inherently dominated by their vanguards, which means that loyalty to a political party is loyalty to its vanguards, and loyalty to political parties conflicts with loyalty to constituents.

There is one potential practical advantage to having a two-party system, which is that serves as a means of process of elimination, as long as there aren't popular enough spoiler 3rd candidates in a general election, but I'm not referring to that & it's beside the point.

The point is that when politicians are part of a political party, their loyalty isn't to their constituents; it's to the political party itself and its vanguards, and that isn't democracy.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Welcome to the poison that is Citizens United and the absence of ranked choice voting systems.

That said, I would be careful faulting lobbyists in general. That's not really the problem, it's now campaign finance is now permitted to operate. The typical overworked citizen of my country doesn't have the time in the day to be that politically active. So, we might donate to certain special interest groups to help forward interests we support. As a Druid, when I donate to naturalist non-profit organizations, I do so in part because they keep an eye on anti-nature bills going through the legislature and work to put a stop to them. Which I want. They're representing my interests when I don't have time to track all this stuff myself (which I don't).

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Welcome to the poison that is Citizens United and the absence of ranked choice voting systems.

That said, I would be careful faulting lobbyists in general. That's not really the problem, it's now campaign finance is now permitted to operate. The typical overworked citizen of my country doesn't have the time in the day to be that politically active. So, we might donate to certain special interest groups to help forward interests we support. As a Druid, when I donate to naturalist non-profit organizations, I do so in part because they keep an eye on anti-nature bills going through the legislature and work to put a stop to them. Which I want. They're representing my interests when I don't have time to track all this stuff myself (which I don't).
@anotherneil
And I'd like to add that democracy is all about negotiations and lobbyists are professional negotiators. I have been very impressed with the work of lobbyists retained by such organizations as AARP. Yes, there is precedence of mis-conduct, and we know this because of the check and balances placed in our system of democracy. Not all are the same -- that's "democracy."

You see, in a democracy, how that democracy is run, how it works, is decided my the elected representatives. If the majority of Americans want lobbyists banned, then they'll need to elect lawmakers to attempt to make that happen.

Political parties are what "we the people" make them. At this current time we have two major parties where both appear to be trying to work on the far edges of their platforms. This is an established ebb and flow that has occurred throughout our history. It's amazing that we made it through the 20th century without a party collapse. That doesn't mean the 21st century will hold.

The Whig party, and the Free Soilers, morphed into the Republican party in the mid-19th century, and the Know Nothing party was absorbed by the Democratic party around the same time. . .pre-Civil War time.

The democracy of the U.S. government was known as the Big Experiment. It was expected to collapse quickly and convert to a monarchy. It continues to survive. Bruised and battered, but in tact.

The way our country continues to allow division, how long will it be before one of the two majors fall off their platform? And who will take it's place in dominance? Change is bound to happen, but we continue to be an example to the world that democracy can and does work. Even when what it allows is cringe-worthy.

Wandering Monk

We need a Constitutional amendment prohibiting political contributions from anyone but an individual citizen. There would have to be a reasonable cap.

Political action committees will probably never be outlawed because of 1st Amendment concerns, but their sources of income should be made public by law. Their incomes should be taxable.

Politicians also need to be banned from 'consulting' jobs for a decade after the end of their term.