• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Depart from me Lord for I am a sinful man?

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
[Luk 5:8 NIV] 8 When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus' knees and said, "Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!"​

Who says this? It is entirely alien to me.

I might quietly leave if I didn't belong. Its uncomfortable to be the least educated in the room, but this seems strange: Get away from me, because I am sinful?

Perhaps the text of the verse overstates the emotion? Maybe Peter is filthy from fishing and doesn't want to cause Jesus to have to purify himself at the temple or something like that?

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
[Luk 5:8 NIV] 8 When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus' knees and said, "Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!"​

I might quietly leave if I didn't belong. Its uncomfortable to be the least educated in the room, but this seems strange: Get away from me, because I am sinful?

Perhaps the text of the verse overstates the emotion? Maybe Peter is filthy from fishing and doesn't want to cause Jesus to have to purify himself at the temple or something like that?
My take on Peter’s behaviour was that he felt remorse for having left off of his leadership role as ‘Stone’ in the new faith under Jesus’ leadership.

Last edited by a moderator:

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Now here is an even more important point: If, as Trinitarians say, Thomas had, in that upper room encounter, ‘SEEN GOD’ and ‘Touched God’ (‘My lord and my God’), DESPITE Jesus saying, ‘I am not a Spirit; touch me and see I have first and bone which a spirit does not have’ (and we know that God is Spirit and does not change - does not acquire flesh and bone!):
  • WHY DID THE DISCIPLES SIMPLY RETURN to THEUR DAY JOBS!??
And now for an even more important point: What on earth does this have to do with the OP?

Muffled

Jesus in me
My take on Peter’s behaviour was that he felt remorse for having left off of his leadership role as ‘Stone’ in the new faith under Jesus’ leadership.
I believe your statement is out of context and thereby false.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe it is more likely that Peter has already been told that Jesus is a holy man.

John 1:40 One of the two who heard John speak and followed Jesus was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. 41 He first found his own brother Simon and said to him, “We have found the Messiah” (which means Christ)

Soapy

I believe your statement is out of context and thereby false.
Lovely to see you provide no context in your response. Always a good sign that you don’t really have a valid response!

Soapy

I believe it is more likely that Peter has already been told that Jesus is a holy man.

John 1:40 One of the two who heard John speak and followed Jesus was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. 41 He first found his own brother Simon and said to him, “We have found the Messiah” (which means Christ)
After seeing the risen Christ in the upper chamber a short time back, Peter and the others had gone back to their day jobs. They had, in effect, abandoned the belief that Jesus had been resurrected by God.

This, of course, brings into question the incident concerning the disciples seeing Christ Jesus in the upper room: Why? How? … You and ten others see the risen Christ (and the eleventh claiming he had seen almighty God!!) they LEAVE OFF THE TASK JESUS SET THEM AND GO BACK TO FISHING….(or whatever their day job was).

On seeing Jesus on the beach and realising the great miracle of catching so many fish after they had failed, Peter instantly realised he had done something very sinful in going back to their day jobs and no doubt encouraged the others to do the same.

Imagine, … of course he would be filled with remorse and claim himself as unworthy!

I think that is simple enough!

DNB

Christian

I'm sorry if I state this in a rather obvious fashion, but clearly it reveals the sentiments of any devout, but frail, human when confronted with sublimity - your defilement is exposed. We all feel intimidated, or concerned about ourselves, in the presence of exemplary people.

Peter, after witnessing the miracle, recognized that Jesus was empowered by God and was therefore a holy man. Consequently, causing Peter to both become cognizant, and feel ashamed, of his lack of approbation from God.

Soapy

I'm sorry if I state this in a rather obvious fashion, but clearly it reveals the sentiments of any devout, but frail, human when confronted with sublimity - your defilement is exposed. We all feel intimidated, or concerned about ourselves, in the presence of exemplary people.

Peter, after witnessing the miracle, recognized that Jesus was empowered by God and was therefore a holy man. Consequently, causing Peter to both become cognizant, and feel ashamed, of his lack of approbation from God.
When you say that Peter recognises that Jesus was empowered by God because he saw the miracle [of the placement and amount of fish captured] and he believed only then - what of the earlier episode of Jesus appearing miraculously in the upper room and Thomas [apparently!!] declaring (in trinitarian claims) that he had witnessed GOD and had in fact even touched GOD?

It’s a distraction from the thread topic but does it sound like Peter didn’t remember nor acknowledge that event? In fact, did the apostle John make up the upper room event to try to (but failing, in my mind) to declare that the glorified man, Jesus Christ, was actually Almighty God in a damaged human body even discrediting the words of the glorified man that he was ‘Not a Spirit’, yet God is spirit (and spirit only!).

DNB

Christian
When you say that Peter recognises that Jesus was empowered by God because he saw the miracle [of the placement and amount of fish captured] and he believed only then - what of the earlier episode of Jesus appearing miraculously in the upper room and Thomas [apparently!!] declaring (in trinitarian claims) that he had witnessed GOD and had in fact even touched GOD?

It’s a distraction from the thread topic but does it sound like Peter didn’t remember nor acknowledge that event? In fact, did the apostle John make up the upper room event to try to (but failing, in my mind) to declare that the glorified man, Jesus Christ, was actually Almighty God in a damaged human body even discrediting the words of the glorified man that he was ‘Not a Spirit’, yet God is spirit (and spirit only!).
Yes, it's a digression from the thread, and Soapy, you appear to absolutely obsessed with undermining the doctrine of the trinity - you have started countless threads on this forum, and 99% of them are refutations of the trinity.

I'm with you, that I absolutely despise and repudiate the doctrine, and am convinced that it is the most diabolical and blasphemous tenet in all of Christendom - one cannot be saved believing in the trinity, as far as I am concerned

As far as your question goes: I don't quite understand what you're asking. Man can be called gods, as Jesus himself pointed out using the OT Scriptures, and, even more so, the context was that he was dispelling any beliefs that he was claiming to be God. Thus, Thomas called him god in the manner that Moses, the angels, and the judges of old were called gods. Anyone with bestowed authority and power may be considered a god in the eyes of men who are of lesser stature.

Uzzah died for putting his hands on the ark, how much more did Thomas deserve to die by putting his finger inside God's body (as you seemed to imply) - trinitarianism is absurd and utterly deranged.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)

Peter might have felt very depressed or bad at that point and so was really putting himself down figuring he could never live up to what Jesus wanted. But just think how Jesus answered him in such an encouarging way!! Jesus did not depart from him and he did not condemn Peter for any sin. Instead Jesus kindly answered him and said, “Stop being afraid.” He encouraged Peter to become a fisher of men for Jesus. Which he did. Thanks for bringing it up. :) It's an encouraging account.

Soapy

Yes, it's a digression from the thread, and Soapy, you appear to absolutely obsessed with undermining the doctrine of the trinity - you have started countless threads on this forum, and 99% of them are refutations of the trinity.

I'm with you, that I absolutely despise and repudiate the doctrine, and am convinced that it is the most diabolical and blasphemous tenet in all of Christendom - one cannot be saved believing in the trinity, as far as I am concerned

As far as your question goes: I don't quite understand what you're asking. Man can be called gods, as Jesus himself pointed out using the OT Scriptures, and, even more so, the context was that he was dispelling any beliefs that he was claiming to be God. Thus, Thomas called him god in the manner that Moses, the angels, and the judges of old were called gods. Anyone with bestowed authority and power may be considered a god in the eyes of men who are of lesser stature.

Uzzah died for putting his hands on the ark, how much more did Thomas deserve to die by putting his finger inside God's body (as you seemed to imply) - trinitarianism is absurd and utterly deranged.
Yes, you are right. I am obsessed with distressing the claim of Trinitarians whenever and where ever I can. It’s my calling.

It’s always the satanic way that when a revelation against false belief is presented, that someone should attempt to quash it before it causes damage to the trinitarian fallacy.

My point is maybe something you missed. I said it but you don’t perceive it: If Thomas had ‘seen and touched’ GOD, and there is no commentary about the reactions of the other ten disciples, there are two questions that must be brought to attention concerning the PROOF by Trinitarians that Jesus is… YHWH, in effect, GOD, in fact!
  1. Only Thomas claimed he had seen and touched ‘Almighty God’. That’s not the ‘god’ that you seem to be insinuating - ‘god’ that I’ve written about many times and asked about definitions that only you seem to have answered to. Why did only Thomas exclaim as he did despite there being ten other disciples being in the same arena? And this only reported in the gospel of John, the most trinitarian-based book in the Bible scriptures?
  2. How could the eleven disciples, especially Peter, (and Thomas!!) simply go back to their ‘day jobs’ if they had recently witnessed and been in the presence of the one almighty God of the Jews?
No!, Thomas had not witnessed ‘almighty God’ confined in flesh as a man, Jesus. This truth should be used to dispel that explicit trinity claim. I am to understand that you desire that it should not be presented even though it impinges on a valid reason for the reaction of the then disciple, Peter: to wit, he had seen the risen Christ (not God in flesh) and, despite that, had led the other disciples into going back to lack of belief. The fishing incident sharply drew him back to the task Jesus had set him as leader, for.

It is therefore a simple answer to his reaction / and it flummox me as to how there are so many other opinions on the matter. Peter was set by Jesus Christ as a leader; what other conceivable reason could there be for his reaction when he realises that he has misled himself and those under his charge - is this not another example of ‘Jonah’: ‘I have sinned and am unworthy of the glory as leader that you set upon me!’.
But Jesus knew that if was a hard thing for Peter to endure and simply showed him the way back, that though he, Jesus, was no longer there to guide them, he would send them the gift that God had promised them, a gift that would remain with them eternally, would never leave them as he had to, and would continue to teach them, uphold them, guide them, remind them, empower them, strengthen them in all things they were to encounter going forward.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member

Later on, the Pharasees wagged their tongues quite a bit about Jesus and his hanging out with sinners and tax collectors. It seems like such gossip was quite the thing back in the day, and Peter must have been well aware of it.

Soapy

Later on, the Pharasees wagged their tongues quite a bit about Jesus and his hanging out with sinners and tax collectors. It seems like such gossip was quite the thing back in the day, and Peter must have been well aware of it.
There were/are factions of Jews who held to different interpretations of the law and of other aspects of belief.

There was non-believe in an afterlife (a resurrection and a new world) and there is belief in full cleanliness as per their ancestral patterns. Washing the hands before eating was one such strict belief. Tax collectors were heavily despised because they had no compassion on the poor and could be heavy handed on those who couldn’t pay up, even to bringing a charge that would land the person and his family in jail.

It is no hard thing then to see that if someone calling himself the messiah, the saviour of the Jews, were to be seen eating without first washing his hands classed as defiling themselves), to be seen in friendly company with tax collectors (classed as collaborating with criminals) that puritanical Jews would ‘wag their tongues’.

But Jesus was sent by God to reveal the Father to all people (but firstly, the Jews and therefore all people of every human slanting was open to the revelation. However, no matter how hard Jesus tried, there were still those of staunch hardness of rituals and disbeliefs that Jesus’ revelation totally went over their heads.

Elihoenai

Matthew 13:13

13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

It's Not Easy as it appears to Really Acknowledge that you are a Sinful Man. In the Presence of Pure/Clean Yeshua/Jesus one Is and Feels Dirty/Filthy.

An Oxbridge or Harvard Degree does not help in anyway to understand anything in Holy Scripture/Bible. In Fact an Oxbridge or Harvard Degree makes you Blind and Deaf to the Truths contained in Holy Scripture/Bible.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Lovely to see you provide no context in your response. Always a good sign that you don’t really have a valid response!
I believe it is simple. Peter could not feel remorse because of being left out of leadership because he had not received notice of such leadership at the time.

Muffled

Jesus in me
After seeing the risen Christ in the upper chamber a short time back, Peter and the others had gone back to their day jobs. They had, in effect, abandoned the belief that Jesus had been resurrected by God.

This, of course, brings into question the incident concerning the disciples seeing Christ Jesus in the upper room: Why? How? … You and ten others see the risen Christ (and the eleventh claiming he had seen almighty God!!) they LEAVE OFF THE TASK JESUS SET THEM AND GO BACK TO FISHING….(or whatever their day job was).

On seeing Jesus on the beach and realising the great miracle of catching so many fish after they had failed, Peter instantly realised he had done something very sinful in going back to their day jobs and no doubt encouraged the others to do the same.

Imagine, … of course he would be filled with remorse and claim himself as unworthy!

I think that is simple enough!
I believe again this is out of context. Those events didn't happen until well after Peter encountered Jesus for the first time.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I doubt Peter had that kind of awareness. He would have been aware of the holiness of God.

Soapy

I believe again this is out of context. Those events didn't happen until well after Peter encountered Jesus for the first time.
What???

Please explain…

The topic is whg Peter cried out in distress for Jesus to depart from him because he saw himself as a sinful man. To me, it’s quite clear that Peter, knowing he should be doing the Lord’s work, had gone back to doing his day job, thinking Jesus was dead and gone and the cause was hopeless without Jesus’ leadership.

But seeing the miraculous catch of fish, Peter realised that Jesus was indeed still living and was there on the beach still doing what Jesus did / miracles! Peter therefore did what all pious persons would do in that situation: Cry out for the Lord to pity him -which is an utterance of ‘Look not upon a sinful man’!

There’s nothing more to it… Jesus knew that the disciples would be lost without him (Like sheep without a shepherd) so he wasn’t angry at him (and them) but spike softly that now their real mission is to begin - and he analogised it to being ‘Fishers of Men’… a bit of Lord Irony!!

By this, Jesus showed hd was a true leader of men and afterwards appointed Peter as the leader of these men.

I’m not sure why the question was asked not why it’s taking so long to agree an answer.

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me
What???

Please explain…

The topic is whg Peter cried out in distress for Jesus to depart from him because he saw himself as a sinful man. To me, it’s quite clear that Peter, knowing he should be doing the Lord’s work, had gone back to doing his day job, thinking Jesus was dead and gone and the cause was hopeless without Jesus’ leadership.

But seeing the miraculous catch of fish, Peter realised that Jesus was indeed still living and was there on the beach still doing what Jesus did / miracles! Peter therefore did what all pious persons would do in that situation: Cry out for the Lord to pity him -which is an utterance of ‘Look not upon a sinful man’!

There’s nothing more to it… Jesus knew that the disciples would be lost without him (Like sheep without a shepherd) so he wasn’t angry at him (and them) but spike softly that now their real mission is to begin - and he analogised it to being ‘Fishers of Men’… a bit of Lord Irony!!

By this, Jesus showed hd was a true leader of men and afterwards appointed Peter as the leader of these men.

I’m not sure why the question was asked not why it’s taking so long to agree an answer.
i believe you are out of context and that is why you are in error. Peter did not return to fishing until after the resurrection, He stated he was a sinner before that,