• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Destiny

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
It's so hard to choose.

Not with destiny. Destiny makes any choice super simple. See if it is your destiny to choose A then you will choose A, but if it is your destiny to not choose A they you will not choose A. This way you can remove all responsibility from decision making and make decisions with little to no thought, rest assured that no matter what you choose destiny is sending you down the right path.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
Not with destiny. Destiny makes any choice super simple. See if it is your destiny to choose A then you will choose A, but if it is your destiny to not choose A they you will not choose A. This way you can remove all responsibility from decision making and make decisions with little to no thought, rest assured that no matter what you choose destiny is sending you down the right path.

No, you see . . . *I* get a choice because the god/universe thinks I'm special.

But every other person in *my* life is only a bit player in *my* destiny. Otherwise, how could god/universe put anyone in *my* path? Remember, he/it circumvents everyone's else's free will, just so *I* can learn a lesson or grow closer to him/it. . .

It may seem narcissistic to you, but that's because you were only put in *my* path (like an unthinking automaton with no free will) by a god/universe just to ask *me* this question.

That's how destiny works. It's all about *me* *me* *me* . . .

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
George-McFly-1.jpg

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Is the concept of destiny a way to dodge responsibly for one's actions or/and choices?
I see what you are saying, but I am not sure. Maybe some things that seem like coincidences are actually related in a way that we don't grasp. For example you are talking about responsibility. Is the concept of responsibility merely a way to express dislike for our destinies? What if responsibility and irresponsibility are merely the explanations we invent to explain our destinies? :D

idav

Being
Premium Member
Is the concept of destiny a way to dodge responsibly for one's actions or/and choices?
I don't know that anyone is able to make use of destiny. Can someone know their destiny or they think they know? Some might even think the universe is deterministic but it seems people mostly act as if the choices we make are our own.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It can be. Or it be a motivating force to avoid the action of karma, aka destiny, sometime in the future.

Destiny will decide which way you choose this time. ;)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I don't buy into the destiny thingy. I try not to feed my messiah complex too much red meat.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
If it is, then you are an automaton, and all rewards and punishments are 100% unfair, unjustified and unwarranted.

And besides, in a world in which we all seem to be so desperately seeking "meaning," that one idea instantly strips all meaning away permanently and irretrievably. It makes you the most meaningless thing possible.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
If it is, then you are an automaton, and all rewards and punishments are 100% unfair, unjustified and unwarranted.

And besides, in a world in which we all seem to be so desperately seeking "meaning," that one idea instantly strips all meaning away permanently and irretrievably. It makes you the most meaningless thing possible.

InShaAllah
:(:oops:o_O:rolleyes:

Father

Devourer of Truth
does it exist? yes. Humans are just computers that act based on programming (genetics) and outside environmental variables. they are quite predictable and if one knew all variables than nothing would truly be random. does it hold meaning? No. at least if it does it's so far above us it does not matter. as for a way to dodge responsibility? No. society cannot function if we assume everyone is just a puppet. while they are. we can only function on the Lie that we have control.
though it does not matter either way. what will happen will happen. any avoidance of destiny is apart of it. your opinion and agreement or disagreement with my entire statement is not of your weighing Truth. your position is based on upbringing, Intelligence, Genetics, and 1000s of variables outside your control. your emotions and subconscious are not within your conscious control either. so whether a person accepts their lack of control or not. does not grant them freedom either way.
4cfc45da1689bd1d707ea5b07143a9c7.jpg

my posting of this meme itself was due to many variables outside my control.
Taste. Upbringing. many different variables seemingly having no connection to this choice still influenced and caused the choice. as an example.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
does it exist? yes. Humans are just computers that act based on programming (genetics) and outside environmental variables. they are quite predictable and if one knew all variables than nothing would truly be random. does it hold meaning? No. at least if it does it's so far above us it does not matter. as for a way to dodge responsibility? No. society cannot function if we assume everyone is just a puppet. while they are. we can only function on the Lie that we have control.
though it does not matter either way. what will happen will happen. any avoidance of destiny is apart of it. your opinion and agreement or disagreement with my entire statement is not of your weighing Truth. your position is based on upbringing, Intelligence, Genetics, and 1000s of variables outside your control. your emotions and subconscious are not within your conscious control either. so whether a person accepts their lack of control or not. does not grant them freedom either way.
4cfc45da1689bd1d707ea5b07143a9c7.jpg

my posting of this meme itself was due to many variables outside my control.
Taste. Upbringing. many different variables seemingly having no connection to this choice still influenced and caused the choice. as an example.
Can you prove this theory with evidence or it is something you take on faith?

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
I am destined to be responsible! For prophecy!

Joking. Honestly I don’t really believe in destiny in the first place, and I have observed that a belief in destiny does more harm than not. I don’t like the idea of prophecy either for the same reasons (except in the context of an exhilarating literary riddle).

Father

Devourer of Truth
Can you prove this theory with evidence or it is something you take on faith?
its already fact that humans are just computers that run on genetics and environmental influence. the entire branch of the science of psychology would not work otherwise. the business world would not work if people were not predictable. predictability is done through the acknowledgment of variables and acting upon them. the subconscious itself is proven to make a decision before the conscious even has time to react or decide. it's how if I poke you with a needle you jolt back before having to think about it. or how you can trail off and stare at a women's cleavage without even realizing you're doing it. it's an impossible theory to ever fully prove as one would need to know every possible variable. you would need Omniscience. however its easily assumable if you see even 1% of the variables. every cause has an effect. the first cause was the big bang if it can be assumed that was the starting point of everything. then everything after that point is a runaway effect of dominoes. we are no exception. we are complex and unique but still bound by our nature and a reflection of the environment.

any control you have is simply a result of that, so it's not really "Free will" has its greatly if not fully influenced by everything besides your conscious thought. again though society can not function if it bases itself off that Truth. Humans are stupid after all. it only works if we base it on the Lie we have control and "Free will". so it does not really matter if you buy it or not. it just is.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
its already fact that humans are just computers that run on genetics and environmental influence. the entire branch of the science of psychology would not work otherwise. the business world would not work if people were not predictable. predictability is done through the acknowledgment of variables and acting upon them. the subconscious itself is proven to make a decision before the conscious even has time to react or decide. it's how if I poke you with a needle you jolt back before having to think about it. or how you can trail off and stare at a women's cleavage without even realizing you're doing it. it's an impossible theory to ever fully prove as one would need to know every possible variable. you would need Omniscience. however its easily assumable if you see even 1% of the variables. every cause has an effect. the first cause was the big bang if it can be assumed that was the starting point of everything. then everything after that point is a runaway effect of dominoes. we are no exception. we are complex and unique but still bound by our nature and a reflection of the environment.

any control you have is simply a result of that, so it's not really "Free will" has its greatly if not fully influenced by everything besides your conscious thought. again though society can not function if it bases itself off that Truth. Humans are stupid after all. it only works if we base it on the Lie we have control and "Free will". so it does not really matter if you buy it or not. it just is.
You don't know what a fact is.