• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Destruction of Dam in Ukraine Will Have Long-Term Effects Similar to Chernobyl, Expert Warns

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The UN and an environmental safety expert have warned about disastrous consequences from the destruction of the Nova Kakhovka dam in Ukraine:

The Nova Kakhovka dam collapse will have long-term effects akin to the Chernobyl nuclear disaster, an environmental expert has warned.

Ukraine says Russia blew up the dam, most likely as an attempt to slow down Kyiv’s military counteroffensive. Russia has denied responsibility.

Maksym Soroka, an environmental safety expert at the Dovkola Network NGO, told FT.com that she compares the massive attack with “the Chernobyl disaster”.

“Yes, the consequences are different, but the long-term effect on the population and the territory is the same,” she said.

Further context on the situation:

At least three people have drowned in floods in southern Ukraine’s Kherson, local media reports have said in the first such confirmation of casualties from the dam’s destruction.

Ukrainian officials have warned locals of the danger posed by dislodged landmines exploding or releasing chemicals into the floodwater.

The critical soviet-era Nova Kakhovka dam, which lies along the Dnipro river in Russia-held Kherson, was blown up on Tuesday and collapsed soon after, sending water gushing into nearby villages and towns in the region with a 42,000-strong population.

The UN said the collapse will have “catastrophic” and “far-reaching consequences” for thousands of people with the loss of homes, food, safe water and livelihoods even as Russia and Ukraine traded accusations over the incident.

Putin's forces are killing innocent people, committing war crimes, and destroying Ukrainian cities and infrastructure. For what? Imperialist and egotistical ambitions. Any claims that Putin's regime waged this war to "fight Nazism in Ukraine" go out of the window the moment something like this dam attack and its effects on civilians come to the fore. It's quite clear that this is an imperialist war unfazed by any ethical, legal, or diplomatic concerns.

One of my most deeply held convictions is that imperialism is a plague on humanity. It always has been and still is.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
How about trying to get Russia expelled from the UN Security Council if it can be proven that Russia did this?

I don't know what the mechanisms would be for doing so, nor what the ramifications would be. I think it is wise of the US and Europe to proceed relatively prudently, as they have done so far, considering that Putin has shown instability and is at the helm of the world's largest nuclear power. A nuclear war would benefit no one and save no lives.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I don't know what the mechanisms would be for doing so, nor what the ramifications would be. I think it is wise of the US and Europe to proceed relatively prudently, as they have done so far, considering that Putin has shown instability and is at the helm of the world's largest nuclear power. A nuclear war would benefit no one and save no lives.
Yes, it is still difficult to see the outcome of this war, or as to what might be the right actions to end it.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Yes, it is still difficult to see the outcome of this war, or as to what might be the right actions to end it.

Well, right now, it is in effect a limited war of attrition. But it can escalate beyond a limited war, but on the other hand it doesn't have to end any time soon as long as both side can cope.
As for how it ends, it is not given it is a straight binary outcome of win or lose.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Well, right now, it is in effect a limited war of attrition. But it can escalate beyond a limited war, but on the other hand it doesn't have to end any time soon as long as both side can cope.
As for how it ends, it is not given it is a straight binary outcome of win or lose.
Well I suspect that most will believe it will just go on to an inevitable conclusion, whatever that is, but I also suspect that Putin has done the exact opposite of his initial intentions, so decrying his supposed intelligence, unless he plans on the long game even after he is dead. :skull:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Well I suspect that most will believe it will just go on to an inevitable conclusion, whatever that is, but I also suspect that Putin has done the exact opposite of his initial intentions, so decrying his supposed intelligence, unless he plans on the long game even after he is dead. :skull:

It is not a given that the war ends, just because Putin dies. It is more complicated than just Putin as a single individual.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
It is not a given that the war ends, just because Putin dies. It is more complicated than just Putin as a single individual.
Didn't say it would end if he died, and I assume that unless there is an uprising of some sort, his regime will still continue. It's the Russian way it seems. Given that they are more enamoured with authoritarianism than democracy apparently.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Didn't say it would end if he died, and I assume that unless there is an uprising of some sort, his regime will still continue. It's the Russian way it seems. Given that they are more enamoured with authoritarianism than democracy apparently.

Yeah, that is subjective in you. The reality is a bit more complex than that word.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
It's the Russian way it seems. Given that they are more enamoured with authoritarianism than democracy apparently.

I definitely wouldn't assume such a thing about a country of over 140 million people. It's quite possible—and I would say likely, going by the history of many other dictatorships—that many in Russia desire democracy but are simply unable to voice their views or push for that change.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I definitely wouldn't assume such a thing about a country of over 140 million people. It's quite possible—and I would say likely, going by the history of many other dictatorships—that many in Russia desire democracy but are simply unable to voice their views or push for that change.
They managed it in 1917.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
That's not how the Russian government works. It's an iron-clad dictatorship, so the people don't put the leaders in charge.
Hey, Putin got voted in - as he always tells us - even if he simply destroys the opposition. So why don't the population notice this?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey, Putin got voted in - as he always tells us - even if he simply destroys the opposition. So why don't the population notice this?

Many almost surely do notice it; the question is whether they can do much or anything about it.

And of course, the "voting" in such dictatorships is almost always rigged and riddled with corruption.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Yeah, the game of we are the good ones and they are the bad ones. If that gets to entrenched it can only get worse.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Are the population not responsible for the leaders they put in authority over them?

No, not really in any meaningful way. It is the standard Western belief of in the end lone individual who is in effect metaphysically responsible as per free will, because we believe that. But that is a belief and religion in the end.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
No, not really in any meaningful way. It is the standard Western belief of in the end lone individual who is in effect metaphysically responsible as per free will, because we believe that. But that is a belief and religion in the end.
Ideology perhaps but not religion.