• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
In my opinion devotion to the Blessed Virgin is one of the most beautiful aspects of the Catholic faith. I personally maintain a devotion to her as an indispensable part of my own Christian journey, as even in my current spiritual state (which at the moment is poor) I still feel a sense of consolation whenever I invoke her in prayer.

I find it to be poetic that next to Our Lord Himself the Church venerates a woman as the greatest and most powerful of all creatures. As the Queen of Heaven, Mary surpasses even the Seraphim in honour. And this woman, who surpasses the angels in beauty and power, has been given to us by Christ as our mother. (John 19:27). This is why, even if you do not venerate her as the Catholics and Orthodox do, you should at the very least have the decency to in no way denigrate her. If you honour Christ, then you ought to at least respect his mother.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Totally agree.

TRUE STORY TIME: As many people know, I am a convert to Catholicism. I was a Protestant for many years prior to converting to Catholicism. One time, I was the music director for a Presbyterian church. AT CHRISTMAS TIME, I thought it would be appropriate to sing Ave Maria but I was immediately shot down by the minister. I am not a big Mary fanatic even now, and I certainly wasn't then. But it did sort of stick in my craw.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
In my opinion devotion to the Blessed Virgin is one of the most beautiful aspects of the Catholic faith. I personally maintain a devotion to her as an indispensable part of my own Christian journey, as even in my current spiritual state (which at the moment is poor) I still feel a sense of consolation whenever I invoke her in prayer.

I find it to be poetic that next to Our Lord Himself the Church venerates a woman as the greatest and most powerful of all creatures. As the Queen of Heaven, Mary surpasses even the Seraphim in honour. And this woman, who surpasses the angels in beauty and power, has been given to us by Christ as our mother. (John 19:27). This is why, even if you do not venerate her as the Catholics and Orthodox do, you should at the very least have the decency to in no way denigrate her. If you honour Christ, then you ought to at least respect his mother.

Most holy Theotokos, pray for us and save your unworthy and sinful servants.