• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus say he was God???

Mark2020

You don't know what "implied" means? If it says "he answered" then it's blatant, not implied. Why don't you explain how its used in the "Absolute sense" in 8:58 using a non-trinitarian scholar to back your claim.
That's poor again.
I already said the predicate "Asahel" is implied or understood from the context. It doesn't refer to eternal existence.

Shermana

Heretic
It says "He answered", that's not implied, that's blatant. And the issue isn't really about "Eternal Existence" as much as it is about past-tense existence, and not future existence, which is implied with Theodotion's and Aquila's Septuagint rendition of the Name being "I shall be". So I see that's a refusal to explain what you mean by "Absolute sense" and a refusal to get a non-Trinitarian scholar who agrees.

Shermana

Heretic
im·plied

  Show IPA
adjective involved, indicated, or suggested without being directly or explicitly stated; tacitly understood: an implied rebuke; an implied compliment.
If it says "He answered", then it's not "implied". Now prove this grammatical concept of "Absolute sense" with a non-Trinitarian scholar and how it differs from Asahel's usage here.

Also, explain why a name is the same as a statement.

Mark2020

If it says "He answered", then it's not "implied"...
As poor as the rest of your arguments.

(John 8:58 [NA26]) εἶπεν αὐτοῖς Ἰησοῦς, Ἀμὴν ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν, πρὶν Ἀβραὰμ γενέσθαι ἐγὼ εἰμί.
(John 8:58 [KJV]) Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Not that it means anything really

Mark2020

Now to sum up:
First you claimed genesthai was a present verb that is translated in past (which is obviously wrong, since it is infinite), to try to justify translating "ego eimi" as "I was"

Next, you said it is "I am"

Your contradicting arguments have already defeated you.

Shermana

Heretic
Seriously? I'm using your OWN DEFINITION of "I am" to prove you wrong. I already believe that "I am" in the sense of 8:58 means "I have been", that's nothing to do with the point of proving to you that "Ego Eimi" doesn't mean "I am" in the same sense that you are trying to make it say. Not only that, but you're dodging the subject of why a statement is the same as a given name. It appears you are unable to provide a non-Trinitarian scholar to back your claim.

And I really don't see the difference between "Jesus said" and "he answered".

Mark2020

Seriously? I'm using your OWN DEFINITION of "I am" to prove you wrong...
And I guess claiming an infinitive to be present is using my definition too.

It appears you are unable to provide a non-Trinitarian scholar to back your claim.
I'll leave this to you. I've already given my references.
But obviously what your left with is attacking the authors of references now.

And I really don't see the difference between "Jesus said" and "he answered".
haha
After you're proven wrong you're trying to throw useless words.
Wasn't it your argument that "answered" means there is no implications in the sentence? (which is ridiculous to say the least).
I guess your next argument will be:
"said" means there are no implications!
Such poor arguments only show how poor your case is.

Mark2020

Actually the contrast between gensthai and eimi is as important as the absolute use of "Ego eimi"
[FONT=&quot] The contrast between [/FONT]γενεσθαι[FONT=&quot] [genesthai] (entrance into existence of Abraham) and [/FONT]εἰμι[FONT=&quot] [eimi] (timeless being) is complete. See the same contrast between [/FONT]ἐν[FONT=&quot] [en] in 1:1 and [/FONT]ἐγενετο[FONT=&quot] [egeneto] in 1:14. See the contrast also in Psa. 90:2 between God ([/FONT]εἰ[FONT=&quot] [ei], art) and the mountains ([/FONT]γενηθηναι[FONT=&quot] [genēthēnai]). See the same use of [/FONT]εἰμι[FONT=&quot] [eimi] in John 6:20; 9:9; 8:24, 28; 18:6.[/FONT]

Shermana

Heretic
And I guess claiming an infinitive to be present is using my definition too.
Right, that explains why Genesthai is used 20x for "will be" or "comes to be" or "will become" in the future present tense.

I'll leave this to you. I've already given my references.
But obviously what your left with is attacking the authors of references now.
Trinitarian references that seem to outright ignore what the other side is saying and don't bother to address their arguments? What I'm left with is attacking their actual lack of basis for their claims, as well as their dodging of critical facts.

haha
After you're proven wrong you're trying to throw useless words.
Wasn't it your argument that "answered" means there is no implications in the sentence? (which is ridiculous to say the least).
I guess your next argument will be:
"said" means there are no implications!
Such poor arguments only show how poor your case is.
The irony here is so much there are magnets flying to the screen. Would you care to actually explain why "he answered" is so different than "Jesus said" or do you want to use more useless words that don't actually address anything?

Mark2020

Right, that explains why Genesthai is used 20x for "will be" or "comes to be" or "will become" in the future present tense.
That's just your poor Greek.
If you check the whole sentence where it's used, you'll see why it is thus translated.
It is still infinitive.

Trinitarian references...
Keep attacking references.
Actually it's funny coming from someone who can't tell an infinitive from a present verb.
Well done!

Would you care to actually explain why "he answered" is so different than "Jesus said" or do you want to use more useless words that don't actually address anything?

My previous answer is clear enough.
You're just throwing useless words.
Hard to admit defeat yet again I guess.

Shermana

Heretic
You really have to resort to cutting out my responses don't you. Why don't you actually address what I said in its fullness. I said WHY the references were wrong, and this might be why you snipped my answer. I also can guess why you've refused more than twice to get a non-Trinitarian scholar who agrees with your position.

And no, your previous answer is not clear whatsoever, what it IS clear about is that you completely avoided the very concept itself. Your answer was basically "I am" means "Eternal", even though Jesus was referring to past tense only, just as how Genesthai was used as past tense. Do you know the difference with "Aorist Active infinitive"? Do you know what "Aorist active' Means?

Also, unless you're willing to get into why Genesthai is used in past tense in 8:58 as an "infinitive", feel free to spout the same baseless thing while avoiding the Aorist Active component. "I am" clearly means past tense by the indication of the Aorist Active tense.

Hard to admit defeat yet again I guess.
You are ultimate proof. Have a good night.

Last edited:

Mark2020

And no, your previous answer...
I said there is no predicate implied, which means "Ego eimi" is used absolutely.
You gave your silly argument of "answered", which is irrelevant, yet I replied to it.

Also, unless you're willing to get into why Genesthai is used in past tense in 8:58 as an "infinitive", feel free to spout the same baseless thing.
Get its morphology.
I suspect you already got it, since it isn't hard to find, but you just don't dare admit it since it proves you wrong.
γενέσθαι genesthai 1096V-2ADN (Aorist middle infinitve) came to be
You are ultimate proof. Have a good night.
Sorry, you're the one giving the poorest arguments which tells your position. Yet again, what's new?

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
Last edited by Shermana; Today at 06:54 AM..

Your post:
post_old.gif
Today, 06:56 AM

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Try to find an "ܐܢܐ ܐܝܬܼܝ" translated "I was" not "I am" in the Pe****ta.

Pe****ta Aramaic/English Interlinear New Testament
I apologize for not being able to paste the rendering but RF doesn't allow this image format to be pasted.

At Pe****ta Aramaic/English Interlinear New Testament (Interlinear NT, Yukhanan Ch. 8)

Mark2020

Pe****ta Aramaic/English Interlinear New Testament
I apologize for not being able to paste the rendering but RF doesn't allow this image format to be pasted.

At Pe****ta Aramaic/English Interlinear New Testament (Interlinear NT, Yukhanan Ch. 8)

I was referring to other occurrences of "ܐܢܐ ܐܝܬܼܝ" in the Pe****ta. It is used in locations like [FONT=&quot]John 7:34 and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Revelation 1:17 where it can only be present.
I have another interlinear that renders it I AM.
unledryu.jpg

For An Answer: John 8:58 in the Pe****ta - "I was" or "I am?"
[/FONT]
Yes, John 8:47 [8:58] can also mean "I AM". It's just a different way of saying it than what is used in 8:13 [8:24]. The second word, Yty0 comes from the Aramaic root ty0, which means "is, are."
Ethridge and Bausher rendered it "I AM":
(John 8:58 [Etheridge]) Jeshu saith to them, Amen, amen, I say to you, Before Abraham was, I AM.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
58Yeshua said to them: “Timeless truth I speak to you: Before Abraham would exist, I AM THE LIVING GOD.”