• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus say he was God???

Mark2020

And you've failed to address the Aorist Active tense several times, writing it off as "useless words".
Do you insist on looking that desperate?
You claimed it was present (like eimi). Though it has nothing to do with the topic.
Again, throwing useless words.
(Try not to look that desperate)

Mark2020

So here's an answer to the OP.
Jesus said He is God:

The same contrast is very clear here:
Psalm 90:2
Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God.
πρὸ τοῦ ὄρη γενηθῆναι καὶ πλασθῆναι τὴν γῆν καὶ τὴν οἰκουμένην καὶ ἀπὸ τοῦ αἰῶνος ἕως τοῦ αἰῶνος σὺ εἶ

Note how "eimi" is used absolutely here too: σὺ εἶ (You are God)

It's actually similar to:
John 8:58

I tell you the truth, Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"
εἶπεν αὐτοῖς Ἰησοῦς· ἀμὴν ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν, πρὶν Ἀβραὰμ γενέσθαι ἐγὼ εἰμί

σὺ εἶ: you are (You are God)
ἐγὼ εἰμί:
I am
The same verb ειμι, Present active indicative.

So by comparison, not only does it mean "I am", it means "I am God"

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
Huh? I said that its used as Present tense with Asahel's "He answered: I am", and that its past tense when indicated by the use of Genesthai for "Was". The point of the Aorist tense is that its consistent with the indicator's tense.

And once again, if Jesus said "I am G-d", that makes no sense whatsoever to the context of the accusation or the response. Not only that but its more Modalist than Trinitarian.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Huh? I said that its used as Present tense with Asahel's "He answered: I am", and that its past tense when indicated by the use of Genesthai for "Was". The point of the Aorist tense is that its consistent with the indicator's tense.

And once again, if Jesus said "I am G-d", that makes no sense whatsoever to the context of the accusation or the response. Not only that but its more Modalist than Trinitarian.

Context is king....;)

not nom

Talk about useless posts.

what? you snipped of the point, and offered *nothing* in your reply. or are you referring to the post I'm just quoting? it is devoid of anything, it just serves to dismiss something without dealing with it. it's an expression of forfeit, are you aware of that?

"go learn to read greek", lol. your argument is that because they used to translate "you are" as "you are god" from the greek version of the psalms (who cares about those, anyway? aren't there hebrew manuscripts?), that it also has to mean the same in john.

that's not an argument, that's hilarious.

not nom

Try to read the context of the posts before replying...

I did. now, if you can't answer anything to the points made, why answer at all?

being silent means you have no argument. what you do instead, means you have no argument and suck. so how does that help?

outhouse

Atheistically
Talk about useless posts.

why? because you cannot begin to refute it?

How could we ever know what jesus said if her never wrote a single word and those that did never knew or met him or heard a word pass the mans lips.

The man was so unimportand while he was alive not a single historian or scholar of the time jotted down a sentance or word about the man.

Mark2020

I did. now, if you can't answer anything to the points made, why answer at all?
One argument was off topic and baseless and the other was replied to before.
It would be better to read the context before jumping in a discussion and attacking people.

not nom

One argument was off topic and baseless and the other was replied to before.
It would be better to read the context before jumping in a discussion and attacking people.

"go learn to read greek", lol. your argument is that because they used to translate "you are" as "you are god" from the greek version of the psalms (who cares about those, anyway? aren't there hebrew manuscripts?), that it also has to mean the same in john.

that's not an argument, that's hilarious.

you didn't deal with that. the way you deal with things, by "it's been dealt with" might just mean "that has already been ignored before by claiming it's been dealt with".