• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did You Choose Your Truth?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
In another thread, it was suggested the people choose their truth. Choice implies that can select other options.

Are your truths a result of choice?

Did you choose your worldview, your core values, or what you believe? Can you just flip a switch and change your worldview, core values, or beliefs?

Discuss.

PureX

Veteran Member
It's only a choice if you are aware of it being a choice. Options that you are not aware of as being options are not optional, TO YOU. Which leaves us in a bit of a 'pickle' a lot of the time, as we have to choose our truth, in ignorance.

I have a friend who sees the world as a very Darwinian, dystopian, kind of place. This is his truth and he has lived his whole life via that trtuh. And given his experiences of life growing up I can see why he would have reached that conclusion. The "facts" as he experienced them clearly would logically lead him to think this. And once he reached this conclusion, he “believed in it". It became 'what is' in his mind. And was never really questioned again. He simply assessed all future experiences by the measure of that conclusion. And he is now an old man still fully convinced of this truth.

I could tell him that there are other ways of seeing the truth of life, but they are not options that ever had any reality to him. So they are simply not a choice he could choose. They are a choice I can choose. But he cannot. They aren't real via his experience of the world. Even though they are another option that anyone could theoretically choose.

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
In another thread, it was suggested the people choose their truth. Choice implies that can select other options.

Did you choose your worldview, your core values, or what you believe? Can you just flip a switch and change your worldview, core values, or beliefs?

Discuss.
one can choose to ignore as much as recognize. one can choose believe and not question

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Discuss.
What do you mean by 'truth'?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Discuss.

My "things" are science and love.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Discuss.
Truth is too broad of a term because it could be experiential , or mental, or a mix of the two. It all depends on how people align themselves.

McBell

Admiral Obvious

Discuss.
"My" truths?
Does this not imply there is more than one truth?

Thus I needs ask what you mean by "truth".

vulcanlogician

Discuss.

You are seriously good at asking questions, man. Those are really important questions.

But imo, you can't fit the answer on a fortune cookie.

And a readable-size post here would have to cut some serious corners. I think each of those questions requires at least a 30 page essay you coherently argue for one option over the other.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Discuss.
Good or bad thing, humans can deceive themselves and pretend they know something they don't and trick themselves about it.

I went through a period in my life where I argued against Muslims about God being benevolent, no hell, didn't believe in reincarnation either, just that everyone goes to paradise. I would also argue for similar reasons as @Bird123 as to why God would not reveal books. I had further arguments, that books could not be proofs or miracles.

I was unbalanced, but couldn't see it then. @Bird123 and the old me would've agreed on most things.

I know humans can believe what they desire. And the heart mixes truth and falsehood.

It's harder to submit to truth when it's not what you wish or desire.

I came back to Islam not that I wanted to, I wanted a life free of responsibility.

Truthfulness is God's sword. It cuts off falsehood and it's a radiation source in itself.

It hurts the ego when we are wrong and it's hard to be truthful sometimes to ourselves, but it gives us strength if we cling to the truth to follow the truth.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Absolutely not. I don't get to choose my own truth. I am able to choose my own philosophy, but not truth. The vast unknown leaves a lot of room for beliefs, but I can't choose beliefs either. Truth isn't truth if you get to choose it.

For me what constitutes truth is facts of existence and nature, character traits, moral virtues, and logical deductions from those three things. Some beliefs are as strong as truth, but not in the same category.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for the clarification. In that case I did not choose it. It was there, and I became aware of it, but it wasn't a choice. If you're walking through a forest, and see a deer bouncing ahead of you, was that a choice?
Or a better analogy (or at least to expand on it), do you get to choose if what is you saw is a deer, a moose, or an elk?

Treasure Hunter

I’ve tried to point this out in other threads. Reality checks give you choice. They signal to you that you are not yet aligned with ultimate reality. Most people deny the reality check and so they pretend like there was no choice.