• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DNGAF about Atheist Problem of Evil?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Do you care about the atheist argument against God known as the problem of evil? Essentially it asserts that their can’t be an all knowing, all benevolent, and all loving God you if He allows suffering and evil to exist?

I find that atheist generally use this argument but don’t really seek an answer. Obviously there are some who really want to see other answers.

As a Christian, i have no problem reconciling the differences that being that the earth was man’s as a gift and that it was man who opened the proverbial Pandora's box.

IMV, love requires a choice.

Imo as a theist I don’t have to care if I can move onto endless bliss and salvation. I am perfectly satisfied enough, I would be a gluten when it comes time to help people with the maximally, and I just need to be happy.

Nice.

Kenny

Premium Member
To ask 'Why does God allow the innocent to suffer?' is to ask the wrong question, imo. After all is said and done, not all questions have answers.

Those are pretty good statements and, indeed, not all questions have answers, Although asking questions is still good. :)
A better question might be, 'What can I do to alleviate the suffering of others?'

Nice. Isn’t that the fast that God asked for? Alleviate the burdens and correct the wrongs. (Isaiah 58:6)

To ask that and to act on it, is I believe, to do the will of God
Sounds good to me.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The suffering of the innocent is the most powerful argument against the existence of God. Incredible acts of love are the greatest argument in favor of the existence of God.
Both can be simply a natural expression of the nature of being human regardless of whether God exists or not. Though it is a good argument against ancient tribal religion's belief in the nature of evil. The problem is compounded by the belief Adam and Eve caused the sin, suffering and evil in the world by very fallible human First Sin.

From the view that the nature of human spiritual reality is not physical suffering in Creation.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I find that atheist generally use this argument but don’t really seek an answer. Obviously there are some who really want to see other answers.
I believe it is justified by atheists that the Christian Theist arguments for the justification of evil as in Fall and First Sin in the mythical explanation of evil, pain and suffering on the world
As a Christian, i have no problem reconciling the differences that being that the earth was man’s as a gift and that it was man who opened the proverbial Pandora's box.
True that you justify your beliefs, but your argument is very circular.

Kenny

Premium Member
I believe it is justified by atheists that the Christian Theist arguments for the justification of evil as in Fall and First Sin in the mythical explanation of evil, pain and suffering on the world
Yes.. .I have no problem with other viewpoints - everyone feels justified in their own minds… that is understandable and includes me. You probably feel justified since your position is “mythical”.
True that you justify your beliefs, but your argument is very circular.
I think this statement is circular in that you equally justify your beliefs.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Yes.. .I have no problem with other viewpoints - everyone feels justified in their own minds… that is understandable and includes me. You probably feel justified since your position is “mythical”.

I think this statement is circular in that you equally justify your beliefs.
This has nothing to with my beliefs. The problem is the justification of evil . . .

I believe it is justified by atheists that the Christian Theist arguments for the justification of evil as in Fall and First Sin in the mythical explanation of evil, pain and suffering on the world.

Myth: Myth - Google Search

a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.

Last edited:

Kenny

Premium Member
This has nothing to with my beliefs. The problem is the justification of evil . . .

I believe it is justified by atheists that the Christian Theist arguments for the justification of evil as in Fall and First Sin in the mythical explanation of evil, pain and suffering on the world.

Myth: Myth - Google Search

A site isn’t evidence for me nor is a definition as presented by another person in as much as definitions change over time.

Myth - General sense of "untrue story, rumor, imaginary or fictitious object or individual" is from 1840.

zach-harris

Imo as a theist I don’t have to care if I can move onto endless bliss and salvation.
This is why YOU are evil. You and people like you, make earth the living hell that it is. So you will never get to heaven.
If you worship a god that forgives/saves/lets you into heaven, just for kissing his ***, then HE is evil.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
A site isn’t evidence for me nor is a definition as presented by another person in as much as definitions change over time.

Myth - General sense of "untrue story, rumor, imaginary or fictitious object or individual" is from 1840.
OK definition it id a bit incomplete. The mid-19th century is the time the Pentateuch was a later compilation containing ancient mythology, and not a literal historical record, Yes, the Creation myth of Genesis evolved From Sumerian, Babylonian, and Canaanite/ Phoenician myths, The Hebrew culture, language and Creation myths reflect they evolved as a Canaanite tribe, these myths are common to all the ancient cultures of the world. Today they are replaced by our knowledge of science and history.