• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do All The Atoms In Your Brains Neurons Replenish Overtime?

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I read an article that said most atoms in your body are replaced throughout your life, with the exception of a few very stable cells like certain neurons in the brain. I also read another article that said all the atoms in your brains neurons are eventually replaced. Anyone know the truth?

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Well I just read this so it seems there’s disagreement within the scientific community.

Neurogenesis. Many neuroscientists disagree about how many and how often new neurons are created in the brain. Most of the brain's neurons are already created by the time we're born, but there is evidence to support the theory that neurogenesis is a lifelong process.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I read an article that said most atoms in your body are replaced throughout your life, with the exception of a few very stable cells like certain neurons in the brain. I also read another article that said all the atoms in your brains neurons are eventually replaced. Anyone know the truth?
I wouldn't say atoms are replaced because they bond and unbind all the time, so I guess you could say they cycle throughout your body, but I get what you're trying to say here.

That your initial self is now non-existent because all the atoms and molecules have rearranged, essentially replacing the entirety of your being, and it is said to occur around I think every 7-8 years incrementally, but there are a few things that stay with you throughout your lifetime and don't rearrange or fall apart , which makes it interesting.

I would start studying with a really cool thing called bio scaffolding that goes on in the brain.

wellwisher

I read that the body replaces all its atoms, about every seven years. The body is constantly breaking things down, and replacing them, with the food we eat, being the main source of replacement atoms. In a sense we are what we eat in terms of atoms.

If a mother cell replicates, to form two daughter cells, she has to first pull in fresh materials from the blood supply, until there are enough material stored to make two daughter cells. Each cell cycle replaces half the atoms, with fresh atoms, that originated from our food and drink. Skin cells defoliate constantly, so each time new ones appear, half the atoms are replaced; exponential replacement. Hair gets cut and we need new atoms to make more hair.

But even cells like neuron, many of which never replicate, will still go through internal recycle, that takes down and rebuilds, adding new atoms as old atoms get flushed as waste.

Interestingly, the body's water molecules are replaced each millisecond, due to hydrogen bonding. The Oxygen will swap hydrogen atoms very frequently, so although H2O still appears, the H and O partners, for any given H2O molecule, are not the same for very long. This is connected to entropy. We drink water all the time and this enters the body and old water is expelled.