• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Atheists go to hell?

Tristesse

If your belief in a god entails a hell, do you think that atheists are going there? If so, why? If not, why? If you think that atheists are going to hell, do you think that this is a just and moral system?

And if you also claim that your god is moral and just, and he sends atheists to hell, how do you justify his morality?

Tristesse

I would be willing to agree that atheists go to Hell if we are defining Hell as Sheol.

It's my understanding that Sheol is different from heaven or hell, so, I don't think it counts. According to the bible doesn't everyone go there when they die, regardless of their moral choices?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
It's my understanding that Sheol is different from heaven or hell, so, I don't think it counts. According to the bible doesn't everyone go there when they die, regardless of their moral choices?
Well, I've heard several Christians spout "Hell is the grave"...does that count? :p

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Friendly tip from someone who's made the same mistake: if you're limiting damnation to the typical, fire & brimstone concept, edit the op to reflect that. :)

Tristesse

Friendly tip from someone who's made the same mistake: if you're limiting damnation to the typical, fire & brimstone concept, edit the op to reflect that. :)

Thanks storm, but I'm not limiting anyone's concept of hell, I don't count sheol mainly because thats the place in the bible where all dead go, and I'm asking specifically about atheists.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Thanks storm, but I'm not limiting anyone's concept of hell, I don't count sheol mainly because thats the place in the bible where all dead go, and I'm asking specifically about atheists.
OK, just a thought. :)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
What about other people's religions who have non-eternal Hells, or annihilation?
Are you after these as well?

Tristesse

What about other people's religions who have non-eternal Hells, or annihilation?
Are you after these as well?

The length of hell doesn't matter to me. What I'm most concerned with, is the idea that when you're dead, some people are whisked off to a place of bliss, while some are sent to a different place based on what they believe. Whether it's a place of torture, annihilation or whatever.

rusra02

Premium Member
If your belief in a god entails a hell, do you think that atheists are going there? If so, why? If not, why? If you think that atheists are going to hell, do you think that this is a just and moral system?

And if you also claim that your god is moral and just, and he sends atheists to hell, how do you justify his morality?

The Bible does not teach eternal torment in a burning hell. So, the answer must be no, God does not send atheists to hell. I suspect many people are atheists because they see the hypocrisy and evil done in the name of religion. Others may be enbittered by the injustices and terrible conditions they see on earth, reasoning that if there were a God, he would surely do something. The theory of evolution has caused many to conclude that there is no God.
The one true religion based on the Bible has helped many former atheists establish a strong faith in the true God. As Jeremiah 29:11,12 reveals, God is interesed in helping us, not condemning us: "For I myself well know the thoughts that I am thinking toward you', is the utterence of Jehovah. 'thoughts of peace, and not of calamity, to give you a future and a hope. And you will certainly call me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.'"

InChrist

Free4ever

Atheists who choose to remain in their sin and reject God's provision for forgiveness and eternal life in heaven through Christ will face an eternity of damnation as any other sinner. It is God's judicial system where the consequence of sin is death or separation from Him the source of life, light , beauty, and goodness for anyone who will not give up their sin. God is love and He is patient. He has taken every measure to make it possible for a person to turn away from sin and selfishness. God would be truly unloving, unkind and unjust were He to let his creatures continue to perpetuate sin and evil forever, but that is not the case because He is just, moral, and holy. There will come a point when all sin is judged and all who choose to keep their sin will be damned along with it.

Me Myself

Back to my username
The Bible does not teach eternal torment in a burning hell. So, the answer must be no, God does not send atheists to hell. I suspect many people are atheists because they see the hypocrisy and evil done in the name of religion. Others may be enbittered by the injustices and terrible conditions they see on earth, reasoning that if there were a God, he would surely do something.

You forgot those who don´t believe in God just because they haven´t feel it has been appropiatly proved.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

If, by hell, you mean the grave, then everyone dies. If you mean eternal torment, I don't believe in any eternal torment. I believe that spirits are immortal, but how, why, etc they exist I don't know. Who is reconciled to God and who is separated from God, then only God knows that.

Last edited:

Tristesse

Atheists who choose to remain in their sin and reject God's provision for forgiveness and eternal life in heaven through Christ will face an eternity of damnation as any other sinner.

Belief in this god is just as important as not murdering? Do you think that the atheist by not believing has done the same wrong as a murderer?

It is God's judicial system where the consequence of sin is death or separation from Him the source of life, light , beauty, and goodness for anyone who will not give up their sin. God is love and He is patient. He has taken every measure to make it possible for a person to turn away from sin and selfishness. God would be truly unloving, unkind and unjust were He to let his creatures continue to perpetuate sin and evil forever, but that is not the case because He is just, moral, and holy. There will come a point when all sin is judged and all who choose to keep their sin will be damned along with it.

And you think the simple act of not believing is deserving of eternal torture?

I just have a few more questions.

Did your god create the universe? Did your god set up the rules by which souls are judged? Is there anything that does not go according your gods will? If you answered yes to these questions, then your god is ultimately resposible for who he sends to hell. And there's no one to blame but this god.

Last edited:

cablescavenger

and if you believe god to be trifle? what then?

cablescavenger

Atheists who choose to remain in their sin and reject God's provision for forgiveness and eternal life in heaven through Christ will face an eternity of damnation as any other sinner. It is God's judicial system where the consequence of sin is death or separation from Him the source of life, light , beauty, and goodness for anyone who will not give up their sin. God is love and He is patient. He has taken every measure to make it possible for a person to turn away from sin and selfishness. God would be truly unloving, unkind and unjust were He to let his creatures continue to perpetuate sin and evil forever, but that is not the case because He is just, moral, and holy. There will come a point when all sin is judged and all who choose to keep their sin will be damned along with it.

I have a view on that contrary to yours.
Someone of faith, who chooses the notion of an afterlife, are saved from what would undoubtedly be their ultimate disappointment, by death.