• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do beliefs really matter?

idav

Being
Premium Member
I didn't believe that the earth existed; it just was. It was extant fact that earth existed because I sensed it.
Yeah we sense things fine we just don't actually know anything about it until further examination. You could have believed the earth was flat and it wouldn't change it's existence.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I think people tend to be more lenient on themselves minus the guilt afterward. Our standards are always higher for others until we try and step into their shoes.
indeed. no one is perfect...

for those who have the courage of their convictions, guilt is the direction they tend to avoid.

quickdraw

The absurdity of your example invalidates the point you're trying to make. IRL, beliefs always shape actions.
Not all actions. Our beliefs shape who we are and our actions, but even the best of us will do actions that do not line up with our beliefs.

St Giordano Bruno

Religious beliefs don't really matter other than a means of keeping in harmony with a shared social belief. It is much harder to disbelieve in a God if the price of it is being socially ostracised for it. They don't really matter if you believe you can take them with you when you die or make any difference to the fate of your soul. Other secular beliefs such a political beliefs could have some practical benefits and beliefs in health and wellbeing such as a belief smoking is hazardous to your health is also a belief that can pay off.