• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Christians hate us

payak

So what I have read here,the bible is written in a way that is not fully understood yet people still follow it,strange.
The verses were cherry picked yet I am yet to see an response to any individual verse.

The ot and nt are opposites yet both are followed somehow,if you pick out the pieces that are pleasing and almost straight out deny the nasty pieces.

This thread is showing much confusion.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So what I have read here,the bible is written in a way that is not fully understood yet people still follow it,strange.
And in Buddhism you have many schools of thought with different approaches and understandings. How strange?

I keep coming back to your thought patterns seem very Western, Christian-like for the most part. Hence why I asked if you are an ExChristian.

The verses were cherry picked yet I am yet to see an response to any individual verse.
Why, when I covered all of them in one fell swoop. Perhaps you didn't read what I posted?

The ot and nt are opposites yet both are followed somehow,if you pick out the pieces that are pleasing and almost straight out deny the nasty pieces.

Only on your part.

captainbryce

well that's just not TRUE at all,many of the verses are straight forward,the part about witches and homosexuals is there,in black and white.
The part about witches and homosexuals that you quoted does not relate to Christianity in any way. You're asking Christians about a Mosaic law. This is a quote from the OT, not Jesus Christ. That is something that relates to Jews of the Old Covenant. So why are you asking Christians this question?

lets look at them one at a time, all of them,christians here may regret asking for that however I don't believe any christian will do it,lets look at each verse.
Give me a verse that pertains to "Christianity" (any verse of your choice) and I'll tell you WHY YOU ARE WRONG about it okay. Go! :)

Wherenextcolumbus

The part about witches and homosexuals that you quoted does not relate to Christianity in any way. You're asking Christians about a Mosaic law. This is a quote from the OT, not Jesus Christ. That is something that relates to Jews of the Old Covenant. So why are you asking Christians this question?

Give me a verse that pertains to "Christianity" (any verse of your choice) and I'll tell you WHY YOU ARE WRONG about it okay. Go! :)

Was Jesus not a Jew? Obviously Jesus would have known why his father made those laws...so what is the answer?

captainbryce

Was Jesus not a Jew? Obviously Jesus would have known why his father made those laws...so what is the answer?
I've already given the answer. The answer was no, Christian do not HATE people of other religious. If they do, then they are false Christians because that would defy the teachings of Jesus Christ. Yes, jesus was a Jew, but he was also the promised messiah who died for the sins of all mankind (not just Jews), and established a new covenant through baptism! Therefore, mosaic laws were no longer applicable. If mosaic laws were still in effect, then Christ did not die for all mankind, he only died for the Jews. But this contradicts everything that is taught in the New Testament.

This becomes particularly relevant if you interpret mosaic laws as contradicting the message of Christ. If you accept the teachings of Christ, then you'd know that the question of whether or not Christians should "hate" anybody is already answered. :)

FranklinMichaelV.3

I've already given the answer. The answer was no, Christian do not HATE people of other religious. If they do, then they are false Christians because that would defy the teachings of Jesus Christ. Yes, jesus was a Jew, but he was also the promised messiah who died for the sins of all mankind (not just Jews), and established a new covenant through baptism! Therefore, mosaic laws were no longer applicable. If mosaic laws were still in effect, then Christ did not die for all mankind, he only died for the Jews. But this contradicts everything that is taught in the New Testament.

This becomes particularly relevant if you interpret mosaic laws as contradicting the message of Christ. If you accept the teachings of Christ, then you'd know that the question of whether or not Christians should "hate" anybody is already answered. :)

The Jews were never told to hate anyone of a different religion, just not be a part of them, or kill them (though I wonder if that translates well), Christians are effectively told to do the former, with hell being the punishment for the latter.

Wherenextcolumbus

Ok cool I get that.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Nice try you say,like most here you assume things,you assume I'm doing what exactly.

I have seen numerous websites with the quotes i posted,so with my limited knowledge i saught answers here regarding these verses.

People being defensive and even worse assuming have not given a single answer except for a few posters.

I came with a question not a claim.
I answered your questions. This post makes no sense.

You also did not attribute your sources for the various verses.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
lets look at them one at a time, all of them,christians here may regret asking for that however I don't believe any christian will do it,lets look at each verse.
Perhaps it's because of your lack of understanding of the Bible, but I will say once again: The Old Testament verses you gave apply to those of the Jewish faith. The new Testament verses in no way point to Christians "hating" non-Christians. You've made no case for your assertion.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
This is something I'm a bit confused on, as well. It's supposedly the same god, who "does not change", yet we see a drastic disconnect between the OT and the NT. The OT says that the law would stand forever, yet the NT nullifies it (or, Paul nullifies it, Jesus upheld and taught it).
It's not nullified. It just that it applies to something different than a New Testament Christian.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
But in the reality the bible does have a list of laws, why does god permit certain laws at certain times and other laws at other times. I would think that would be a point of study as a Christian
Salvation and condemnation are ruled by separate laws. The Mosaic Law was given to define sin and condemns mankind not redeems it. The law of faith and the atonement of Christ redeems mankind. The Mosaic Law pertains to sin and the flesh where as the law of faith pertains to the new man born again under Christ and servant to the mind which is guided by Christ and the Holy Spirit. The old man, servant to the flesh, is crucified with Christ and is dead to sin and the rules which govern sin, the Mosaic Law. We are ressurected (figuratively now until we recieve a new body after resurrection) in newness of life by the law of faith.

captainbryce

I think the only person who is confused here is you. But I will admit that nobody yet has tried to break down the source of your confusion, or correct some of the fallacious logic you are using. Therefore, let me try to give you a response that is more commensurate with what you are looking for. Let me preface my response to everyone of the Old Testament passages you are quoting by saying this: the commandments of the Old Testament were part of a covenant between God and the Israelites. The Jews were his chosen people, and given specific laws that applied to them alone. He gave no such laws to the Gentiles. So on that basis alone, you cannot hold Gentiles accountable under the Old Covenant (to which they were never part of). Secondly, anyone who calls themselves a Christian is under the New Covenant, established by Jesus Christ. It is HIS commandments and his interpretation of the Old commandments that were are held accountable to, not the laws of Moses or Abraham.

Having said that:
Woman with “familiar spirits” must be stoned to death. Leviticus 20:27

“Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.” Exodus 22:18

You must kill those who worship another god. Exodus 22:20

Kill any friends or family that worship a god that is different than your own. Deuteronomy 13:6-10

Kill all the inhabitants of any city where you find people that worship differently than you. Deuteronomy 13:12-16

Kill everyone who has religious views that are different than your own. Deuteronomy 17:2-7

Kill anyone who refuses to listen to a priest. Deuteronomy 17:12-13

Kill any false prophets. Deuteronomy 18:20
All of the passages here are taken out of context. I'll give you several examples of where you went from what the text actually says and ignored the context, and came up with a false interpretation of it.

Kill all the inhabitants of any city where you find people that worship differently than you. Deuteronomy 13:12-16

Here's what the text ACTUALLY says:

Deuteronomy 13:12-16
12 If you hear it said about one of the towns the Lord your God is giving you to live in 13 that troublemakers have arisen among you and have led the people of their town astray, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods you have not known), 14 then you must inquire, probe and investigate it thoroughly. And if it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done among you, 15 you must certainly put to the sword all who live in that town. You must destroy it completely, both its people and its livestock. 16 You are to gather all the plunder of the town into the middle of the public square and completely burn the town and all its plunder as a whole burnt offering to the Lord your God. That town is to remain a ruin forever, never to be rebuilt

So what is this passage actually saying and why? First of all, does it say what you initially implied? To kill inhabitants of ANY CITY? NO. It says to destroy their own city (a Jewish city) where the people have gone astray and turned away from God. Why does it say that? Because allowing such a city and it's inhabitants to prosper would eventually lead to the corruption and destruction of ALL Jewish people.

Kill everyone who has religious views that are different than your own. Deuteronomy 17:2-7

Here is what the text actually says:

Deuteronomy 17:2-7
2 If a man or woman living among you in one of the towns the Lord gives you is found doing evil in the eyes of the Lord your God in violation of his covenant, 3 and contrary to my command has worshiped other gods, bowing down to them or to the sun or the moon or the stars in the sky, 4 and this has been brought to your attention, then you must investigate it thoroughly. If it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, 5 take the man or woman who has done this evil deed to your city gate and stone that person to death. 6 On the testimony of two or three witnesses a person is to be put to death, but no one is to be put to death on the testimony of only one witness. 7 The hands of the witnesses must be the first in putting that person to death, and then the hands of all the people. You must purge the evil from among you.

Does this say to kill anyone who has religious view different from yours? NO. It says to kill people living among you (ie: the Jewish people, in the Jewish nation) who are VIOLATING THE COVENANT! Can Gentiles violate a covenant they were never pat of? NO. Does the scripture say to go out and kill people who have different religions? NO. The scripture is talking about Jews, living among other Jews, who disgrace their own God, and compel others to follow them.

Really? Let's see:

Deuteronomy 17:12-13
12 Anyone who shows contempt for the judge or for the priest who stands ministering there to the Lord your God is to be put to death. You must purge the evil from Israel. 13 All the people will hear and be afraid, and will not be contemptuous again.

So apparently, it has nothing to do with failure to "listen to a priest", but of actually showing contempt for the priest in public while that priest is ministering to the Lord. Seems like a very different charge doesn't it? And why? Well, this passage actually tells you why this commandment was given! :)

But for aforementioned reasons, none of these passages have any relevance for any Christian living today, because A) we are not Jews, and B) we are under a new Covenant.

Hebrews 8:6-13
6 But in fact the ministry Jesus has received is as superior to theirs as the covenant of which he is mediator is superior to the old one, since the new covenant is established on better promises.
7 For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another.
8 :“The days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and with the people of Judah.
9 It will not be like the covenant I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt, because they did not remain faithful to my covenant, and I turned away from them, declares the Lord.
10 This is the covenant I will establish with the people of Israel after that time, declares the Lord. I will put my laws in their minds and write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.
11 No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’ because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest.
12 For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.”
13 By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

How do we know that this new covenant is also one established with Gentiles?

Romans 2:14-15
14 Even Gentiles, who do not have God’s written law, show that they know his law when they instinctively obey it, even without having heard it. 15 They demonstrate that God’s law is written in their hearts, for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right.

captainbryce

Regarding your New Testament quotes:

Any city that doesn’t receive the followers of Jesus will be destroyed in a manner even more savage than that of Sodom and Gomorrah. Mark 6:11
Here is what Mark 6:11 ACTUALLY says:

Mark 6:11
But if any place refuses to welcome you or listen to you, shake its dust from your feet as you leave to show that you have abandoned those people to their fate.”

How exactly did you equate this to Sodom and Gomorrah, or the destruction of cities? :confused:

Jude reminds us that God destroys those who don’t believe in him. Jude 5
What's your point? All Christians believe that salvation only comes through faith in Christ. All men are sinners (Romans 3:23), and the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23). But Jude 5 in no way advocates that WE (Christians) should destroy cities that do not practice Christianity. It is saying that those people who do not profess faith in Christ and live according to God's word are on a path to destruction. So this is where you went from taking a passage out of context, and applying whatever meaning you wanted to apply to it.

Don’t associate with non-Christians. Don’t receive them into your house or even exchange greeting with them. 2 John 1:10
Let's provide some context to this out of context passage by looking at the preceding and proceeding verses.

2 John 1:7-11
7 I say this because many deceivers have gone out into the world. They deny that Jesus Christ came in a real body. Such a person is a deceiver and an antichrist. 8 Watch out that you do not lose what we have worked so hard to achieve. Be diligent so that you receive your full reward. 9 Anyone who wanders away from this teaching has no relationship with God. But anyone who remains in the teaching of Christ has a relationship with both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to your meeting and does not teach the truth about Christ, don’t invite that person into your home or give any kind of encouragement. 11 Anyone who encourages such people becomes a partner in their evil work.

Looks like this verse is talking specifically about deceivers who intend to infiltrate Christian churches with anti-Christian messages. Looks like is has NOTHING to do with typical "non-Christians" at all. DOES IT? :yes:

Shun those who disagree with your religious views. Romans 16:17
Actually,

Romans 16:17-18
17 And now I make one more appeal, my dear brothers and sisters. Watch out for people who cause divisions and upset people’s faith by teaching things contrary to what you have been taught. Stay away from them. 18 Such people are not serving Christ our Lord; they are serving their own personal interests. By smooth talk and glowing words they deceive innocent people.

Looks like this passage isn't talking about people who disagree with our religious views at all, but alleged Christians who cause division (within the church) and mislead other Christians away from the teachings of Jesus. DOESN'T IT? ;)

Paul, knowing that their faith would crumble if subjected to free and critical inquiry, tells his followers to avoid philosophy. Colossians 2:8
Really? Wow, it requires some major distorting, manipulation and flat out ignoring scripture to come to this conclusion.

Colossians 2:8
Don’t let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and from the spiritual powers of this world, rather than from Christ.

Guess what else the bible says --

1 Thessalonians 5:20-22
20 Do not treat prophecies with contempt 21 but test them all; hold on to what is good, 22 reject every kind of evil.

...and...

1 John 4:1
Dear friends, do not believe everyone who claims to speak by the Spirit. You must test them to see if the spirit they have comes from God. For there are many false prophets in the world.

So clearly, the bible isn't telling anyone to avoid philosophy! It's telling Christians to TEST everything that is said, and keep the good, while rejecting the bad. It tells people to avoid EMPTY philosophy that amounts to nothing beneficial in the end.

Whoever denies “that Jesus is the Christ” is a liar and an anti-Christ. 1 John 2:22
And that's EXACTLY what they are. This is an opinion that all Christians share in common. You're entitled to disagree: otherwise, what's your point? The passage is talking to Christians, not unbelievers. :confused:

Christians are “of God;” everyone else is wicked. 1 John 5:19
Here's what it ACTUALLY says:

1 John 5:19
19 We know that we are children of God and that the world around us is under the control of the evil one.

Is that the same thing as what you just said? I think not!

Anyone who doesn’t share Paul’s beliefs has “an evil heart.” Hebrews 3:12
What it actually says:

Hebrew 3:12
See to it, brothers and sisters, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God.

Who's it talking to here? Christians! What kind of Christians? The kind who are sinful and TURN AWAY from God. Are you a Christian with a sinful heart? If not, then how does this in any way apply to you?

Everyone will have to worship Jesus -- whether they want to or not. Philippians 2:10
Read Philippians 2:1-11 first, followed by Romans 8:31-34. Use the New Living Translation if you need it dumbed down to the most basic, contemporary English. Then come back and tell me if they say what you are claiming they! :no:

the last 2 are amusing
Your interpretation of them (or the interpretation of the source where you copied and pasted this misinformation from) is what's amusing.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Woman with “familiar spirits” must be stoned to death. Leviticus 20:27
“Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.” Exodus 22:18

You must kill those who worship another god. Exodus 22:20

Kill any friends or family that worship a god that is different than your own. Deuteronomy 13:6-10

Kill any false prophets. Deuteronomy 18:20

Any city that doesn’t receive the followers of Jesus will be destroyed in a manner even more savage than that of Sodom and Gomorrah. Mark 6:11

Jude reminds us that God destroys those who don’t believe in him. Jude 5

Don’t associate with non-Christians. Don’t receive them into your house or even exchange greeting with them. 2 John 1:10

Shun those who disagree with your religious views. Romans 16:17

Paul, knowing that their faith would crumble if subjected to free and critical inquiry, tells his followers to avoid philosophy. Colossians 2:8

Whoever denies “that Jesus is the Christ” is a liar and an anti-Christ. 1 John 2:22

Christians are “of God;” everyone else is wicked. 1 John 5:19

The non-Christian is “a deceiver and an anti-Christ” 2 John 1:7

Anyone who doesn’t share Paul’s beliefs has “an evil heart.” Hebrews 3:12

False Jews are members of “the synagogue of Satan.” Revelations 2:9, 3:9

Everyone will have to worship Jesus -- whether they want to or not. Philippians 2:10

A Christian can not be accused of any wrongdoing. Romans 8:33

the last 2 are amusing
Thank you for taking passages completely out of context, twisting them into some kind of elitist, discriminatory directives, and using them to ask a ridiculous question, for which you really expect no answer, asked purely as provocation and/or dismissal.

Karl R

Philippians 2:5-11
5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
6 Who, being in very nature[a] God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
7 rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.
8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death — even death on a cross!
9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

A Christian can not be accused of any wrongdoing. Romans 8:33

the last 2 are amusing
Romans 8:31-34
31 What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? 33 Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. 34 Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.

You're amused by flagrant misquotes?

payak

I think the only person who is confused here is you. But I will admit that nobody yet has tried to break down the source of your confusion, or correct some of the fallacious logic you are using. Therefore, let me try to give you a response that is more commensurate with what you are looking for. Let me preface my response to everyone of the Old Testament passages you are quoting by saying this: the commandments of the Old Testament were part of a covenant between God and the Israelites. The Jews were his chosen people, and given specific laws that applied to them alone. He gave no such laws to the Gentiles. So on that basis alone, you cannot hold Gentiles accountable under the Old Covenant (to which they were never part of). Secondly, anyone who calls themselves a Christian is under the New Covenant, established by Jesus Christ. It is HIS commandments and his interpretation of the Old commandments that were are held accountable to, not the laws of Moses or Abraham.

Having said that:
All of the passages here are taken out of context. I'll give you several examples of where you went from what the text actually says and ignored the context, and came up with a false interpretation of it.

Here's what the text ACTUALLY says:

Deuteronomy 13:12-16
12 If you hear it said about one of the towns the Lord your God is giving you to live in 13 that troublemakers have arisen among you and have led the people of their town astray, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods you have not known), 14 then you must inquire, probe and investigate it thoroughly. And if it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done among you, 15 you must certainly put to the sword all who live in that town. You must destroy it completely, both its people and its livestock. 16 You are to gather all the plunder of the town into the middle of the public square and completely burn the town and all its plunder as a whole burnt offering to the Lord your God. That town is to remain a ruin forever, never to be rebuilt

So what is this passage actually saying and why? First of all, does it say what you initially implied? To kill inhabitants of ANY CITY? NO. It says to destroy their own city (a Jewish city) where the people have gone astray and turned away from God. Why does it say that? Because allowing such a city and it's inhabitants to prosper would eventually lead to the corruption and destruction of ALL Jewish people.

Here is what the text actually says:

Deuteronomy 17:2-7
2 If a man or woman living among you in one of the towns the Lord gives you is found doing evil in the eyes of the Lord your God in violation of his covenant, 3 and contrary to my command has worshiped other gods, bowing down to them or to the sun or the moon or the stars in the sky, 4 and this has been brought to your attention, then you must investigate it thoroughly. If it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, 5 take the man or woman who has done this evil deed to your city gate and stone that person to death. 6 On the testimony of two or three witnesses a person is to be put to death, but no one is to be put to death on the testimony of only one witness. 7 The hands of the witnesses must be the first in putting that person to death, and then the hands of all the people. You must purge the evil from among you.

Does this say to kill anyone who has religious view different from yours? NO. It says to kill people living among you (ie: the Jewish people, in the Jewish nation) who are VIOLATING THE COVENANT! Can Gentiles violate a covenant they were never pat of? NO. Does the scripture say to go out and kill people who have different religions? NO. The scripture is talking about Jews, living among other Jews, who disgrace their own God, and compel others to follow them.

Really? Let's see:

Deuteronomy 17:12-13
12 Anyone who shows contempt for the judge or for the priest who stands ministering there to the Lord your God is to be put to death. You must purge the evil from Israel. 13 All the people will hear and be afraid, and will not be contemptuous again.

So apparently, it has nothing to do with failure to "listen to a priest", but of actually showing contempt for the priest in public while that priest is ministering to the Lord. Seems like a very different charge doesn't it? And why? Well, this passage actually tells you why this commandment was given! :)

But for aforementioned reasons, none of these passages have any relevance for any Christian living today, because A) we are not Jews, and B) we are under a new Covenant.

Hebrews 8:6-13
6 But in fact the ministry Jesus has received is as superior to theirs as the covenant of which he is mediator is superior to the old one, since the new covenant is established on better promises.
7 For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another.
8 :“The days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and with the people of Judah.
9 It will not be like the covenant I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt, because they did not remain faithful to my covenant, and I turned away from them, declares the Lord.
10 This is the covenant I will establish with the people of Israel after that time, declares the Lord. I will put my laws in their minds and write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.
11 No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’ because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest.
12 For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.”
13 By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

How do we know that this new covenant is also one established with Gentiles?

Romans 2:14-15
14 Even Gentiles, who do not have God’s written law, show that they know his law when they instinctively obey it, even without having heard it. 15 They demonstrate that God’s law is written in their hearts, for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right.

if you all continue to take the thread as an attack that's ok,i will just accept this is a result of your insecurities and ignore that.

As i said,my knowledge is limited and i posted a question about the verses i found,not an attack,only seeking the facts.

Now it seems they were not violent,they could only slaughter and destroy their own people and cities who for some reason were unable to exercise their god given free will and turn away from their worship.

You at least confirmed the disgusting violence expected of them.

Now can you address the parts about witches and gays, a man who lays with a man who is not a woman should be put to death, though should not suffer a witch to live.

Can you tap dance around that,excuse me i mean can you explain that one.

ZenMonkey

St. James VII
if you all continue to take the thread as an attack that's ok,i will just accept this is a result of your insecurities and ignore that.

As i said,my knowledge is limited and i posted a question about the verses i found,not an attack,only seeking the facts.

Now it seems they were not violent,they could only slaughter and destroy their own people and cities who for some reason were unable to exercise their god given free will and turn away from their worship.

You at least confirmed the disgusting violence expected of them.

Now can you address the parts about witches and gays, a man who lays with a man who is not a woman should be put to death, though should not suffer a witch to live.

Can you tap dance around that,excuse me i mean can you explain that one.

The bible is more of a history book illustrating the way mankind has viewed God throughout the ages. It just proves that no one truly knew God before Jesus. No one has ever seen God. However, Jesus revealed the truth of God to us. Mankind has been using God to justify their evil deeds for ages. Some still do. This doesn't mean that there is no truth in the OT. It only means that no one (including the Jewish people) truly knew his will for man. Jesus did. He was God's son and he revealed the truth of God to us, making God known.

John 1:18 - No one has ever seen God; the only Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he has made him known.