• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do dogs believe in us?

Tomef

I have three dogs. When I’m not at home, or somewhere out of sight in the garden, they still believe I exist. My proof of this consists in:

- Observations of them waiting, e.g. on the windowsill, at times they expect me to get home.
- They look for me if I’m in the garden or orchard (etc).
- When I’m away for periods of weeks or more, the least demonstrative gives me a good licking when I get back (she never does that if I’ve just been to the shops), which I think demonstrates that she has awareness both of my absence and the fact that I still exist, despite being absent.

So, what does that all add up to? A doggy belief in a person who is not present? If so, what is it about? A kind of imprinted memory + expectation? Or something more?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I have three dogs. When I’m not at home, or somewhere out of sight in the garden, they still believe I exist. My proof of this consists in:

- Observations of them waiting, e.g. on the windowsill, at times they expect me to get home.
- When I’m away for periods of weeks or more, the least demonstrative gives me a good licking when I get back (she never does that if I’ve just been to the shops), which I think demonstrates that she has awareness both of my absence and the fact that I still exist, despite being absent.

So, what does that all add up to? A doggy belief in a person who is not present? If so, what is it about? A kind of imprinted memory + expectation? Or something more?

You're leader of the pack.

Tomef

You're leader of the pack.
Hey don’t put that kind of responsibility on me. What if I can’t come up with the bones/sausages? I’d rather be a deity, deities can do mysterious **** then someone will write a book to explain it away as ineffable. Ineffable means they still like you when there are no sausages.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hey don’t put that kind of responsibility on me. What if I can’t come up with the bones/sausages? I’d rather be a deity, deities can do mysterious **** then someone will write a book to explain it away as ineffable. Ineffable means they still like you when there are no sausages.

Maybe pack leader is a deity to a dog, who knows how they see things...
When the magic runs out and you don't come up with the goodies they'll pick a new deity who can ;-)

Secret Chief

Degrow!

It adds up to being that dogs are an intelligent species of mammal. Like humans are, but they're not destroying the biosphere.

Tomef

It adds up to being that dogs are an intelligent species of mammal. Like humans are, but they're not destroying the biosphere.
I think the idea that humans started imagining invisible beings via being able to think about and picture people who weren’t present makes some sense. I find it interesting that dogs seem to have a similar ability.