• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Plants Feel?

tomspug

Absorbant
Sounds silly... right?

Plants have no receptors, no central nervous system. Until I saw a Mythbusters episode about this, I figured it was a stupid idea. That's when I got freaked out. The polygraph showed reactions from the plant even when the person was simply THINKING about hurting it (the results were indeed REPEATED, even when the guy was outside the room, looking through a window).

Ultimately, they labeled it "busted", but I was still freaked out by what I saw. They would probably be a laughing-stock amongst scientists if they labeled it "plausible", and they couldn't explain how they achieved the results they'd previously found.

What do you think? Are all living creatures psychically inter-connected?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Obviously, they don't feel in the same way we do, but I think they do.

I also believe that we're all "psychically interconnected," as you put it. Every life form we know of (and a few we probably don't) from microbes to deities (don't ask) is an aspect of the World Mother, including her consciousness. The same is true of God, but that's a whole 'nother order of magnitude.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I tried an experiment in my biology class last semester. My professor just gave us some beans, and told us to design any experiment at all.

So I planted four beans which I kept in my room with classical music playing loudly at least 6 hours a day, and I planted 4 which I kept in my younger sister's room with no music or sound as much as I could manage. Only two of the beans grew at all, one in each room, and the one in the room with the music got eaten by my cat, so I really couldn't find anything conclusive about the experiment. I was hoping maybe one group would grow better, but I guess not.

Wait... what was the question? Do plants feel? I don't know. Probably on some level, but not the same as animals. I was actually thinking about that today in my botany class, because we were talking about the reproduction of plants, and it's so similar to animal reproduction, in a way, so I was wondering if they might have any sort of feeling... I don't know.

plants lack the skill to process feelings since in there line of evolution they don't need it.
animals however move and are best in large groups so having feeling's would be benificial to them.

hybrid plants like bug eating plants im not sure of

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Plants know what season it is, they know when it is day or night, they know when they are injured, they know when something is trying to hurt it, etc... Do they feel? Perhaps not like you or I "feel", but I think they do on some level we don't understand.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Knowing" and "feeling" are terms that apply to creatures with brains and nervous systems. Plants have neither of these. This is not to say that plants don't react to stimuli, but trying to transpose terms like "feel" on so different an organism implies a consciousness and "likeness" that probably don't apply.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Philosphy pushes the boundry of science. What are feelings are they just simple reactions to a stimulus or are they more do they require an intelligence and do plants have an intelligence.

I would say yes on both counts.

Plants respond to voice, light, touch and I would argue taste and smell(they know some how what to take from the ground for nurisement).

They have some form of intelligence and they respond to stimulus how could they not feel.

But what does that mean to the scheme of things.

Stellify

StarChild
One thing I always found interesting...

When one tree gets a disease, it releases some sort of chemical into the air that alerts all the other nearby trees. The trees that have been "alerted" then start producing chemicals that protect them from the disease, thus making it harder to spread.

As for the OP...I supposed we would have to define what constitutes a feeling.
Although I do believe all things are interconnected.
They've done experiments that show that when two people are paying very close attention to each other and feel "connected", their brain-waves and heartbeats can actually sync up.
It reminded me of your plant polygraph test :D

Just_me_Mike

leaf.jpg

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I think in honor of this thread we should all vow to eat more meat. I mean yea the animal has to die, but one animal can provide so many meals where many plants have to suffer to make just one meal. It is only common sense at this point to agree that meat is the more humane solution to this overwhelming problem. :yes:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I think in honor of this thread we should all vow to eat more meat. I mean yea the animal has to die, but one animal can provide so many meals where many plants have to suffer to make just one meal. It is only common sense at this point to agree that meat is the more humane solution to this overwhelming problem. :yes:
Pass the bacon....