• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Russia and the USA behave differently when it comes to their geopolitical interests?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I was listening to a program on the radio yesterday about the overthrow of Allende, the coup in Chile, and the subsequent terror under Pinochet. The conversation then spread out into a wider discussion of US backed tyrants in South America.
It made me think of Russia and the Ukraine. It seems that large powers are ruthless in protecting their own interests and that if it comes to it, there is little difference between Russia protecting its interests and the USA doing the same.

What do you think?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The elites on both sides don't appear to have much left in the way of ideological differences.

I think at times during the Cold War, there was more of an ideological difference for some elites on both sides. There were some elites who really believed in Communism on the Russian side, and some elites who really believed in Capitalism and Democracy (and that the two were compatible) on the American side. Of course, I wouldn't include Nixon and Kissinger in that group.

Today, I wouldn't be surprised to discover that the differences had narrowed considerably. American corpocracy and Russian nationalism seem to be the dominant ideologies these days.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I was listening to a program on the radio yesterday about the overthrow of Allende, the coup in Chile, and the subsequent terror under Pinochet. The conversation then spread out into a wider discussion of US backed tyrants in South America.
It made me think of Russia and the Ukraine. It seems that large powers are ruthless in protecting their own interests and that if it comes to it, there is little difference between Russia protecting its interests and the USA doing the same.

What do you think?

Hi.....
We in the UK don't have a very good record in connection with human righteousness. I have not mentioned it until now, but I have some sympathies with the people of Eastern Ukraine. It seems as if a majority of these people favour Mother Russia as their main political connection, so, forgetting sea access, natural resources, strategic position blah blah..... the wishes of the people should be heard and listened to. If Ukraine needs to split.... so.....
Scotland may well split from the UK in the next few days, so the idea of 'split', 'partition', 'devolution' is right here, anyway.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
By the way, I'd say -- on the whole -- the US and Russia don't behave that much differently today when it comes to their interests. However, there may still be some significant differences. I just don't expect there to be many these days.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

What do you think?

If anything, Russia has a better case to defend these days.