• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do We Have A Right Not To Be Offended?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do people have a right not to be offended? This is, do people have a right to prohibit others from saying things about their religion or beliefs that offend them? Do people have right to expect an apology from others who say things about their religion or beliefs that offend them? Do they have a right to attack others who say things about their religion or beliefs that offend them? Why or why not?

Bonus Question: Is Midnight Blue really so hot bottles of Tabasco explode in the grocery store when he walks past them? Or is that just another silly RF rumor no one knows how it got started?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Do people have a right not to be offended?
No. Being offended is part of living withother humans.

This is, do people have a right to prohibit others from saying things about their religion or beliefs that offend them?
Absolutely not. Freedom of speech, baby.

Do people have right to expect an apology from others who say things about their religion or beliefs that offend them?
Hmmm. Depending on what was said, maybe.

Do they have a right to attack others who say things about their religion or beliefs that offend them? Why or why not?
Absolutely not. Freedom of expression (of which freedom of religion is only part) means you can express yourself without fear of reprisal. (With the obvious exceptions of not yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theater and the like.)

Bonus Question: Is Midnight Blue really so hot bottles of Tabasco explode in the grocery store when he walks past them? Or is that just another silly RF rumor no one knows how it got started?
I believe it.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Do people have a right not to be offended? This is, do people have a right to prohibit others from saying things about their religion or beliefs that offend them? Do people have right to expect an apology from others who say things about their religion or beliefs that offend them? Do they have a right to attack others who say things about their religion or beliefs that offend them? Why or why not?

I don't think there should be rules... I am all for some joking around and stuff; I mean, I'm not a nazi... But I do think that sometimes people need to try not to be too much of jerks, you know??

As for this one, it's just a rumour. It's the ketchup that explodes... Doesn't make much sense, but that's just the way it is...

Nessa Nenharma

Goddess of my Domain

Anyone can say anything they want about anyone's religion, it is their opinion only, if you don't choose to believe it then so be it.

I don't expect an appology from anyone saying anything about my religion, nor do I plan on giving any appology for my belief on their religion. It's a dog eat dog world, live with it.

If someone said something about my religion I would chalk it up as either ignorance or just no faith in what I hold dear to me, I wouldn't attack them for it. On the other hand, I wouldn't really care what they thought, I can always close the door, walk away, hang up the phone, or drive off... I have that ability :).

:bb:

Nessa

Charity

Let's go racing boys !

I don't think that someone needs to make a snide remark about every post that someone makes. I know people don't agree on a lot of things but we could be nicer in our choice of remarks. I think we have the right to respond when someone says something critical about our belief, but remarks should end within a reasonable amount of time....No reason to go on an endless rant....

Bonus Question Answer: I think that the Tabasco does explode OH YEAH!

Zephyr

Moved on

No, No, No, No, Yes.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
No. Being offended is part of living withother humans.

This is, do people have a right to prohibit others from saying things about their religion or beliefs that offend them?
Absolutely not. Freedom of speech, baby.

Do they have a right to attack others who say things about their religion or beliefs that offend them? Why or why not?
Absolutely not. Freedom of expression (of which freedom of religion is only part) means you can express yourself without fear of reprisal. (With the obvious exceptions of not yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theater and the like.)

And lets not forget the freedom to choose to be offended.

cardero

Citizen Mod

Beliefs do not become offended, people do. This is how we can tell if people are just merely securing faith or actively encouraging and concluding belief.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Sure who am I to tell someone they can or can't be offended.

No

Do people have right to expect an apology from others who say things about their religion or beliefs that offend them?
Yes the have the right to expect an apology, doesn't mean they'll get one.

No they have no right to attack someone for making fan of there Religion. Way? I would like to think we're better then that and not barbaric animals.

Could be, I'm going to have to do more research.

gnostic

The Lost One
Do people have a right not to be offended? This is, do people have a right to prohibit others from saying things about their religion or beliefs that offend them?
For what people believe or don't believe?

Then I would say "no".

And it also depends on if the person is being critical or insulting.

If a person is being critical, then I would says, "no".

If a person is being insulting then "yes" or "no". If a person insults either a religion or any dead prophet, then "no", because these have no feeling to be offended. On the other hand, if the person personally insulting just another person, then "yes" because this is different, and can expect an apology.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Why cant people just say..Hey you know what?..That hurts my feelings..I feel offended by it...Period..Sometimes people can be hateful..If they are just say "that was mean"..goodbye..

And why is it so super offensive when involving religion?...If we put limitations on that what next?..I have the right NOT to be offended that some people will call me a "breeder" because I have kids..Some people cut down women..Some people joke and cut down men..old people..different races...sexual preference...rednecks.. blonds.and on and on ...

Unless I want to be stifled myself and prohibited and restricted in speech..then I have no right to tell someone else they have to be..

If I can dish it out I better be ready to take it..

Especially in the humor or comedy realm..I LOVE a good laugh..and sometimes that means I have to laugh at myself too...

We all hve our personal "bounderies"...Know what those are and avoid getting around what really hurts..but if you do encounter someone who is intentionally trying to be mean to you..then just say so...THAT hurt my feelings..End of story..They may feel convicted and regret hurting you and apologize ...they may not...Then just forgive them and /or just drop it..

Having said all that..I do think we should try and avoid hurting someone else just for the satisfaction of knowing you hurt them...I've been guilty of that and I will eat humble pie when I have used my tongue as a weapon..

Love

Dallas

gnostic

The Lost One
Respect are earned.

I will respect a person that I have never met before as a person and as a individual.

I can respect person to believe "what they believe". In another word, I can respect a person is entitle to his or her belief. I can respect the person to choose his religion.

However, don't expect me to respect what a person believe in. Don't expect me to respect the teachings that I don't share. And don't expect me to respect the religion or your scriptures or your prophets.

The best I can do is not vandalize or destroy your properties. And I would never burn any book, no matter how much I may disagree with them. That's about far my respect for in-animated objects or places.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I would like to think so; the obvious answer has already been given - the average human is perhaps not conscious of the beauty of the desire not to offend others........
It ought to be a given right.
Again, it would be good to answer "Yes", but that would be if our world was a perfect one.
I remember once being laughed at by a Muslim member on this forum (who, I can assure you is no longer posting), with whom I became upset in a thread which was somewhat heated.

At one moment I decided to call time; neither of us would budge from our standpoint; I sent the member a P.M which was one in whci I apologised for some of the things I had said, and suggested that we stopped "sparring".

The member replied "You being a Christian, offered me the other cheek, I, being a Muslim, would cut off your head"..........

The trouble was, to this day, I am not sure if that was supposed to be funny, or serious......
Bonus Question: Is Midnight Blue really so hot bottles of Tabasco explode in the grocery store when he walks past them? Or is that just another silly RF rumor no one knows how it got started?[/quote]

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
The member replied "You being a Christian, offered me the other cheek, I, being a Muslim, would cut off your head"..........

Im sorry..but in light of recent events thats not even funny..Its creepy..

Love

Dallas

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
But, Michel, some people take offense at the drop of a hat. The only way to have a "right" not to be offended is to do away with the right to freedom of expression.