• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we still need organized religion?

Rolling_Stone

Do we still need organized religion? What does it do for us that we still need it?
That's a good question, and I don't know the answer. I have an aversion toward organized religion, but for many it has a central role in their lives and I can understand why.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I've never seen a reason for it. One can find spirituality and faith and religious practice without any organization directing them.

Surya Deva

I think Yes, but we need an organized religion that is suitable for our times. It must compliment our scientific and rational world, our humanistic thinking and promote universal harmony. It should be a religion of wisdom and noble thoughts that can create wise and noble people to take humanity further in its evolution.

rojse

RF Addict
I think Yes, but we need an organized religion that is suitable for our times. It must compliment our scientific and rational world, our humanistic thinking and promote universal harmony. It should be a religion of wisdom and noble thoughts that can create wise and noble people to take humanity further in its evolution.

And why does this need to be an organised religion? Can you not come up with this religious doctrine that conforms to all of these standards without the help of a centralised organisation?

UnityNow101

I don't believe that there is any sensible reason for organized religion, although I am not completetely sure. I will wait until I see 'Religulous' on October 3rd before I make up my mind on this matter....

Rolling_Stone

Why it's central.

My apologies for the lack of clarification.
When I go to my wife's church (Catholic), there's real sense of the sacred that I never got from the church I grew up in (LDS). This contrast in experience very dramatic. While most people in both churches probably go there for other reasons, because it's something they were taught, or for the social interaction, or whatever, there is for others this sense of connection with something greater than themselves--and this connection may not even be conscious--but it is very real and very powerful.

Jeremy Mason

Unfortunately, today organized religion is an oxymoron. I believe understanding one's past should prevent mistakes in the present which is the embodiment of intuition.

Jeremiah

that can create wise and noble people to take humanity further in its evolution.

I do see why we need any organized religion to accomplish this task. We have schools now. Why do we still need religion to educated people?

Specifically what does organized religion do that we can not do without it?

Jehonadab

If there is no need for organized religion what does this sripture mean

Hebrews 10:24,25 "and let us consider one another to provoke unto love and good works; not forsaking oue own assembling together, as the custom of some is, but exhorting one another; and so much the more, as ye see the day drawing nigh."

Jeremy Mason

Hebrews 10:24,25 "and let us consider one another to provoke unto love and good works; not forsaking oue own assembling together, as the custom of some is, but exhorting one another; and so much the more, as ye see the day drawing nigh."

It's that organized religion has once again and sadly become a market place and not a place of worship.

Draka

Wonder Woman
People can gather together for religious functions such as holy day celebrations and special purposes without there being any organization telling them when and how to do it. There need not be leaders, ranks, or anything along those lines. People can have their own faith and spirituality and religion unto themselves and be able to share it with others who are like-minded without it being organized. In fact, once a religion is "organized" is when it has a tendency to become almost dangerous to those who are not in it. It is when there are leaders and organized groups leading others that we end up with demonstrators, involvment in politcs, terrorism, evangelism and so much more.

cardero

Citizen Mod

With the exception of "the day drawing nigh" this describes Religious Forums.

Rolling_Stone

And why does this need to be an organised religion? Can you not come up with this religious doctrine that conforms to all of these standards without the help of a centralised organisation?
Such religion would be central to the primary unit of civilization: the family. This is fine, but I think there sould still be refuges where people can gather and share their religious experiences.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Between the human propensities for believing in God and forming communities, I think organized religion is inevitable. It does satisfy certain needs. I'm not saying that those needs can't be met elsewhere, but still.

we need organized religion because (no offence) but there are alot of morons out there and you seen what happens when morons all start doing there own thing (example see internet)