• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe all psychic powers are real?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Depends on what you mean by "psychic powers" and what you mean by "real" but on the whole "believe in" is just a very odd way to frame acceptance of things that are not matters of value or endorsement.

Yazata

While I agree that it depends on what we mean by "psychic powers", I think that generally speaking my answer is No.

ajay0

I have personally seen, read and heard of exhibitions of psychic abilities.

In the east and India at least, psychic abilities are considered to stem from yogic practices. However, these abilities are usually practiced by enlightened sages or saints authorised by the sages.

Generally, these abilities arise in the spiritual aspirant during the course of practice, and the scriptures and sages advise is to ignore them due to their spiritually detrimental effect on enlarging the attention seeking ego.

Buddha had excommunicated a monk who used such powers and Ramakrishna just took away the psychic abilities of an aspirant who was prone to showing off.

These abilities however can be seen as pointers though that one is on the right track and helps to create faith in the practices, and move forward.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe one's perception of reality can differ from that of another. Whether you want to call that "psychic powers" is entirely up to you.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Do you believe all psychic powers are real?I do.:)
For me psychic powers are just mental powers. We don't understand the mind fully and it can do more in extreme circumstances stances. Just like a person can lift a car if a loved one is underneath but not normally. When a power does work, then as humans we exaggerate and romanticize these happenings. Just like lifting the car, they are rare circumstances that only happen when certain parameters are achieved and because of our understanding of the mind these powers are not actions we have the ability to call on when we want. Maybe with more scientific understanding in the future we will.