• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe it is possible to experience death?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
In Advaita thought true cessation of consciousness is impossible. If you are talking about cessation of consciousness through a physical brain then that happens even during deep sleep.

Gambit

In Advaita thought true cessation of consciousness is impossible. If you are talking about cessation of consciousness through a physical brain then that happens even during deep sleep.

You're contradicting yourself. Which one is it? Is cessation of consciousness possible or not?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Okay. Then why did you say? "If you are talking about cessation of consciousness through a physical brain then that happens even during deep sleep."
I believe during deep sleep the astral double body separates from the physical body and consciousness is then experienced through the astral body and not the physical body/brain.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Let me clarify. Do you believe it is possible to experience your own death (i.e. cessation of existence).
During my very first out-of-body experience I was almost immediately struck by the idea that "This is what it is like to be dead!" It was a fairly triumphant realization, let me tell you. But, yes, via advanced meditation techniques the individual can peel away the layers of fabrication in order to experience the "substance" of formlessness. :) (Sorry, it really is one of those "you have to be there" thingies.)

However, if you are literally meaning the demise of your current physical form, one may be able to glean tidbits, but overall it will remain unknown till it is fairly imminent.

Gambit

I believe during deep sleep the astral double body separates from the physical body and consciousness is then experienced through the astral body and not the physical body/brain.

Okay. So, you really don't believe it is possible to experience death in the sense that death is the cessation of existence. Right?

Gambit

During my very first out-of-body experience I was almost immediately struck by the idea that "This is what it is like to be dead!" It was a fairly triumphant realization, let me tell you.

I'm not referring to the OBEs or NDEs. I'm asking if it is possible to experience your own cessation of existence

But, yes, via advanced meditation techniques the individual can peel away the layers of fabrication in order to experience the "substance" of formlessness. :) (Sorry, it really is one of those "you have to be there" thingies.).

So, are you affirming that it is possible to experience the cessation (not sensation) of existence?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Let me clarify. Do you believe it is possible to experience your own death (i.e. cessation of existence).

This doesn't really change my answer. Philosophically, I don't even believe in death/birth. There's no such thing; death is birth, birth is death; it's all just change and transformation. For something to be created, something else is destroyed and vice versa. And, given everything is constantly changing, all things are always experiencing both of these. There need not be an ego identity for experiences to be happening, much less consciousness... which is where I suspect you're going with this.

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
Do you believe it is possible to experience death (i.e. the cessation of existence)?
Of course not. "Experience" is a property of life. Your question is similar to asking is it possible to breath once dead? Is it possible to think once dead? Is it possible to experience anything after (in your words) "the cessation of existence?" How can something that does not exist experience anything?

Indira

Please explain, I'm no good with these Zen thingies. ;)
Like moving from one room to another. A fearless death is beneficial for moving towards the light of understanding. We do not or can not hide in Bardo, our energy is what it is, it's a karmic process, imo of course.