• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe it is possible to experience death?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

I have no idea of how that can be.

I'm not asking if you believe in an after life.

In practice you are. You are asking whether there is some part of me that can be aware of the death of my own body. How could that possibly happen without a soul?

I'm asking if you believe it is possible to experience the cessation of existence - to experience what it is like to not exist.

Either you mean whether it is possible to die (which of course you know to be the case) or whether one can be conscious of one's very moment of death (which I guess no one truly knows, but probably not if the brain is disfunctional enough).

Gambit

Either you mean whether it is possible to die (which of course you know to be the case) or whether one can be conscious of one's very moment of death (which I guess no one truly knows, but probably not if the brain is disfunctional enough).

I'm going to repeat this just one more time: I'm asking if you believe it is possible to experience what it is like to not exist.

I expect a "yes" or "no" answer:

"Yes," I believe it is possible to experience what it is like to not exist.. .here's why....

"No," I do not believe it is possible to experience what it is like to not exist...here's why...

Heck, I will even accept a "yes" and "no" answer.

"Yes" and "No,",...here's why....

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Okay. You believe that it is not possible to experience cessation of existence.

No, you can experience the cessation, just not anything past the cessation. At the moment you die, you can no longer experience anything.

Do you have a point?

pearl

Do you believe it is possible to experience death (i.e. the cessation of existence)

Not to live and talk about it. Are you referring to a near experience of death. There has been many. But I don't think one can
experience death on this side of death.

Gambit

Not to live and talk about it. Are you referring to a near experience of death. There has been many. But I don't think one can
experience death on this side of death.

I am asking if you can experience death as it is commonly envisioned - as nonexistence. Can you experience nonexistence?

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
I am asking if you can experience death as it is commonly envisioned - as nonexistence. Can you experience nonexistence?

If you put it that way, no. The OP was poorly stated if that was what you intended. You can experience death but you can experience nothing beyond death. If you want to define your question as experiencing what comes beyond death, then no, there's no reason to think that's possible,

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I'm going to repeat this just one more time: I'm asking if you believe it is possible to experience what it is like to not exist.

I expect a "yes" or "no" answer:

"Yes," I believe it is possible to experience what it is like to not exist.. .here's why....

"No," I do not believe it is possible to experience what it is like to not exist...here's why...

Heck, I will even accept a "yes" and "no" answer.

"Yes" and "No,",...here's why....

Your question, in those terms, is meaningless.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Crap! I thought you meant is it possible to be dead or possible to die.
It's a very good likelyhood we will all die one day.
"Experience" death? I don't see how one could experience anything when dead.
The Bible says the "dead are conscious of nothing", depending upon which translation you read. If you read the Christian Bible.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Do you believe it is possible to experience death (i.e. the cessation of existence)?

There's always the Tibetan Book of the Dead. Don't know if it works that way but it is interesting. I recall dying, not death. Death is a cessation of self. At least of the identity we possessed in life.

Death and cessation of existence, I'm not sure they are the same. I've experience the beginnings of a cessation of self. I believe a "self" needs to manifest to experience anything. There has to be a something/entity to allow experiencing.

Gambit

Death is a cessation of self. At least of the identity we possessed in life.

Death and cessation of existence, I'm not sure they are the same.

These are interesting points you raise. I will have to reflect deeply on them.