• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you feel out of place?

Bishka

Veteran Member
In your geographical location, does your religious persuasion ever feel out of choice?

(Ex. Being a member of the LDS Church in Alabama, being a Pagan in Nebraska, being a Quaker in England)

Did you grow up there? Or was it a conscious choice to move to that area? What struggles/accomplishments have you experienced? Would you suggest that others of your religious persuasion move to that area?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Not really. Most parts of New York are very diverse.

Paganism certainly isn't a popular choice, but there are plenty of community groups, and shops.

Zephyr

Moved on
Eh not really. We have a kindred here, so it's pretty alright. Besides, I can't speak Icelandic.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Yes have been battered and bruised by everyone…….
1)Religious education at school existed as Christianity and a paragraph of the rest (Which I questioned the teacher on and was silenced), so I had to study my self outside of school…..
2)My Auntie Christine is an over-zealous evangelic Jehovah witness Baptist messianic Jew, who has been through most major denominations and now owns her own Christian book shop (which I did work at).
3)My Dad is like Rasputin (looks the same also), he studies most religions and is very demanding that the current one he studies, is always right.
4)My now X-God father (Died last year) was a physic healer with his own establish spiritual fairs across the UK.
5)The Mosques for Islamic beliefs is falling to pieces in Nottingham and plus they didn’t really seem workers or servants of Allah, yet them self’s. plus in comparison to Morocco, the Quran wasn’t sung….
6)The Sikh temple I went too, asked me “what Guru I would like to choose? just like Christianity is” I was heart broken and walked out privately as it made me cry and sat and chatted to the birds in the near by garden instead, who knew about Oneness (well some of them).
7)Next is that slowly beginning to believe this whole world is gradually becoming more Babylon (major city type of life), so for me this feels like Oneness is dying within me, and being trapped watching this…..

All I ever wanted was one God and a place we could all worship One God, why is there so much separation of ideology that basically match?

Christianity is stopping it, and why?
Not due to Yeshua, yet the Pharisees (Simon, Paul, John)
who have so blatantly robbed billions of any sort of inheritance, I believe this is so wrong and unfair…..
So why now spend every last moment, trying to wake people up, as my struggle was nearly impossible to live with and still is; unless can find a way to approach the world without getting killed for being me…..

lombas

Society of Brethren
There is nearly no Quaker presence in Flanders. That's why I try attend Anglican, Roman Catholic or Protestant services from time to time.

The "map of religions" in Europe isn't so diverse as in the US, I think.

We shouldn't be too dogmatic about these things. The days of the Contra-reformation and the Wars of Religion (read: Denomination) have long gone.

Lemon

The shy lurker
Well, I've never met another pagan in real-life if that tells you anything. I live in a small town, right in the middle of corn fields and cows. It's a bit conservative in my corner of Ohio, so I try to keep my beliefs a secret.

Nanda

Polyanna
I live in a pretty liberal area, so it's not so bad. I occassionally get some flack - mainly for choosing to call myself an atheist, instead of simply not believing in god or saying I believe in god, but doing whatever the heck I want anyway.

(Ex. Being a member of the LDS Church in Alabama, being a Pagan in Nebraska, being a Quaker in England)

Being a Quaker in England? The Quaker movement has its origins in the 1650s in England. There is a friends meeting house a short walk from where I live.

The Seeker

Once upon a time....
I live outside of Cincinnati which is pretty conservative and haven't told anybody about my religious beliefs (or lack thereof). I definitely feel more out of place here than in Maryland where I was born and raised.

Ciscokid

Kind of at times. I live in PA, so I live in the bible belt. I was shocked the other day to see a van in front of me that had pagan bumper stickers all over it. I was so happy to see a pagan, they're like 5 leaf clovers around these parts.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Sometimes, to be honest, it depends on the time of year. Most all of my college friends are some flavor of pagan, and when school's in session they're only an hour away. But during the vacations the closest one (besides GC) is still almost 4 hours away.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Well, I've never met another pagan in real-life if that tells you anything. I live in a small town, right in the middle of corn fields and cows. It's a bit conservative in my corner of Ohio, so I try to keep my beliefs a secret.

I've only met one person from Ohio and that while I was in the Navy. She insisted that she had never met nor even been around a gay person because they didn't have them in Ohio!:spit: I guess you don't have a lot of things in Ohio. :biglaugh:

I live in Iowa and though I am surrounded (quite literally) by Christian churches I don't feel TOO out of place. There are some of us (pagans) here and people seem to be pretty tolerant for the most part.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I live near San Diego in Southern California, I don't feel too much out of place. There are always churches no matter where we move to. Where I live is a pretty disperse group, we get all different walks of life (for lack of a better term at present) and there are a lot of different religions. But then again, I tend to look through rose colored glasses (that is what my husband says)

Caina

Apostate Heretic
In Washington its pretty open to whatever. Growing up was a bit harder as my own family wouldnt accept me being anti-religion. Very out of place being the only one in church who wants to get unbaptized:)