• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you go to hell if you commit suicide?

kadzbiz

Yes, unless you were mentally ill when you did it.

Aren't they all at the time anyway? And before you mention people like suicide bombers, they're not thinking right at the time either. No rational thinking person without problems would commit suicide. Would they?

vandervalley

Aren't they all at the time anyway? And before you mention people like suicide bombers, they're not thinking right at the time either. No rational thinking person without problems would commit suicide. Would they?

well people who sacrifice themselves so that others can live are not suicidal, right?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
No...
First do you believe in Hell?
Not all Christians Do... I don't
However in most cases suicide is a waste of opportunity.
We were put into this world for a purpose, we don't all ever find out what it is.
But every ones lives are interlinked, and if you know it or not, there is a purpose.

There are extreme cases where suicide is the best option available... but they are very rare... a better option is always to seek help for what is troubling you.
Most problems can either be solved, or go away by them selves as situations change.

It used to be thought Suicide was a mortal sin, to day that attitude is rare. It is no more a sin than despair is a sin.
If God did not exist, The concept of sin could not exist. God in his wisdom works through people. If help is needed it will come from God through people, but help needs to be asked for.

Ronald

YES! But hell is the Grave, we all tend to end up in hell.
The truth is we can not know for sure!
In my bible the only unpardonable sin is the blasphemes the Holy Spirit! Lu 12:10
So IMHO only if your dying words are a blaspheming of the Holy Spirit!
The rest of the damning scriptures are out of context!
Sauls Armor Bearer fell upon his sword.
I am afraid it is an intimadation factor to convince those who for whatever reason that they will burn forever in hell! A manmade condition. Don't take your own life, unless you will die at the hands of unholy people! Who knows what good things you will do if you continue to endure unto the end.

Baruch Ha’ba B’Shem Adonai
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD!

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I dont think anyone can tell us truthfully unless they've actually committed suicide and gone to heaven.... sadly, I have a feeling that if someone accomplishes this mighty feat, that they wont be able to come back and tell us about it :p

may

Do you go to hell if you commit suicide?................... my answer to that question is............................ what do you think hell is?

athanasius

In the Catholic understanding the answer could be yes or no. Ultimately only God can judge a persons soul we can't. But we can look a the probable causes and see if there is materially any possibilities. Again only God can judge, we can't. It all depends on whether or not the person doing this act had free consent of his will and actions. Murder is Mortal sin and can cause you to fall from grace, the sanctifying grace in your soul that is needed to get to heaven. But for you to be culpable of committing mortal sin 3 things must be present. 1) Grave matter(murder is grave matter) 2)Adequate knowledge(Unlike a 2 year old who accidentally drinks poison) and 3) Free consent of the will.

In the case of the victim of Suicide, if all 3 of these are met then yes that person would end up in hell. However, if a person has severe depression and his will is impeded by something, then it is possible that the person may not end up in hell. His intention and soul and heart only Gods Knows for sure and we trust this to the mercy of God who is the only one who can judge the soul.

i hope that helps.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
In the Catholic understanding the answer could be yes or no. Ultimately only God can judge a persons soul we can't. But we can look a the probable causes and see if there is materially any possibilities. Again only God can judge, we can't. It all depends on whether or not the person doing this act had free consent of his will and actions. Murder is Mortal sin and can cause you to fall from grace, the sanctifying grace in your soul that is needed to get to heaven. But for you to be culpable of committing mortal sin 3 things must be present. 1) Grave matter(murder is grave matter) 2)Adequate knowledge(Unlike a 2 year old who accidentally drinks poison) and 3) Free consent of the will.

In the case of the victim of Suicide, if all 3 of these are met then yes that person would end up in hell. However, if a person has severe depression and his will is impeded by something, then it is possible that the person may not end up in hell. His intention and soul and heart only Gods Knows for sure and we trust this to the mercy of God who is the only one who can judge the soul.

i hope that helps.

Hear hear! :)

logician

I don't believe in a god or a place of eternal torment. Commiting suicide, or terminating your own existence, however, is already the worst thing you can do to yourself, no additional torment required.

cardero

Citizen Mod
When a spiritual entity chooses a physical existence it must also choose it’s method of death (exit). So if everyone commits to this physical experience, everyone commits suicide.