• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Support Obama's Call To Deny Purchasing A Firearm To Someone On The No-Fly List

Do you support denying people on the No-Fly list the abililty to purchase a firearm

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

esmith

Veteran Member
Very simple question, with a simple answer, but with complex legality issues.
What is the justification for your answer.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Yes, if this person is already under suspicion, I'd rather there be extra precaution involved in this person.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
idk probably should . the whole Kennedy thing is misnomer

esmith

Veteran Member
I vote No for a very simple reason. It is not legal. To be denied the right to purchase a firearm one of the below conditions must be met.
  • Has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year
  • Is a fugitive from justice
  • Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance
  • Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or committed to a mental institution
  • Is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States or who has been admitted to the United States under a non-immigrant visa
  • Has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions
  • Having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced U.S. citizenship
  • Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner
  • Has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
  • Is under indictment for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year
It is easy to get onto the No-fly list and difficulty to get off, it can take up to years. One nationally known reporter was placed on it after he purchased a one-way ticket to Turkey. Additional individuals with problems with the list.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/07/politics/no-fly-mistakes-cat-stevens-ted-kennedy-john-lewis/

One reporters personal story
http://www.npr.org/2014/09/28/352290026/how-a-journalist-ended-up-on-a-terror-watch-list

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
idk probably should . the whole Kennedy thing is misnomer
I agree with the first part, but don't know what to make of the second part.
I do know that I would immediately suspend anyone (with pay, pending investigation) on the "No Fly List" from the DHS, CIA or FBI etc....

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I voted No. Mainly because I think it nonsensical pandering.

If a teenager in south Chicago can easily get one to defend his drug turf, pretending that international criminals will be inconvenienced is stupid.
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I would say yes, but the no-fly list has had too many people on it who shouldn't be on it. If they fix the process, yes, but until then, no.
If a teenager in south Chicago can easily get one to defend his drug turf, pretending that international criminals will be inconvenienced is stupid.
At least we wouldn't be saying "Welcome to America, where even if we suspect you are related to a terrorist organization you can walk into a gun shop and legally acquire everything you'll need to shoot and kill people."

Nous

Premium Member
What exactly did the President "call for"? He doesn't have a habit of "calling for" unconstitutional laws, does he?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Even though I wanted to vote "yes", I had to vote "no" since the no-fly list is mostly not based on criminal or mental illness convictions/verification.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Even though I wanted to vote "yes", I had to vote "no" since the no-fly list is mostly not based on criminal or mental illness convictions/verification.
I would have preferred an other, because it sounds great, in theory, but there have been a ton of problems with the no-fly list since day one.

averageJOE

zombie
I vote No for a very simple reason. It is not legal. To be denied the right to purchase a firearm one of the below conditions must be met.
  • Has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year
  • Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or committed to a mental institution
  • Is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States or who has been admitted to the United States under a non-immigrant visa
  • Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner
  • Is under indictment for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year
It is easy to get onto the No-fly list and difficulty to get off, it can take up to years. One nationally known reporter was placed on it after he purchased a one-way ticket to Turkey. Additional individuals with problems with the list.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/07/politics/no-fly-mistakes-cat-stevens-ted-kennedy-john-lewis/

http://www.npr.org/2014/09/28/352290026/how-a-journalist-ended-up-on-a-terror-watch-list
You would be OK to sit on the same plane as a person who was on the No-Fly list?

Tumah

Veteran Member

I kind of feel that for the safety of the nation as a whole, its ok to inconvenience the individual.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
At least we wouldn't be saying "Welcome to America, where even if we suspect you are related to a terrorist organization you can walk into a gun shop and legally acquire everything you'll need to shoot and kill people."
I'm opposed to laws that are not enforceable, but only intended to "send a message".
The gun rights advocates need to understand that, along with drug dealers, despondent teens, and psychopaths, terrorists also are going to have easy access to weapons.
Tom

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What is the justification for your answer.
That's a tough one. On one hand, you don't want a firearm with someone that the govt deems potentially dangerous enough to keep them from boarding a plane.

On the other hand, if a person is not convicted of any crime or wrongdoing shouldn't be denied their 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms.
That would require a case by case assessment of the individual. Blanket rules shouldn't apply in this context.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I kind of feel that for the safety of the nation as a whole, its ok to inconvenience the individual.
The real issue is the 2nd Amendment to our constitution. The Government cannot take away anyone's right to firearms without some kind of due process. We've got to figure out how we can get around that before anything can be done.

Tumah

Veteran Member
The real issue is the 2nd Amendment to our constitution. The Government cannot take away anyone's right to firearms without some kind of due process. We've got to figure out how we can get around that before anything can be done.
1. So why not formulate a process.
2. If a Constitutionary Amendment is putting lives at risk, I think lives should take precedence.