• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Think Ghosts Are Real?

Alien

I Fly Space.
If you believe it, then it's true to you. People who see ghosts are people that believe ghosts exist. I personally don't, and wish all the ghosts that are out there would come slap me some high fives because...I know there's no such thing. I've never seen one and find the thought of it hilarious. This might upset a lot of people but the truth is, I don't believe in ghosts, so I will never see or cross paths with one.

I've been to religious functions where people have become "possessed" and I stand above them and think to myself..."look at this fool embarrassing them self". No spirit will ever posses me or affect me in any way, because I don't believe spirits exist. I've dared people to put spells on me, voodoo, whatever it was and guess what, it has never worked. I knew it wouldn't though. :cool:

My point is this: The things people experience are relative to what they believe in. If you go looking for something, chances are you'll find it...but not necessarily because it's really there, but because you associated it with your beliefs and put it there.

:: puts in Ghostbusters DVD ::

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I think the phenomenon is real. I have an unsurprisingly weird take on what causes it, though.

Anyway, I agree that your disbelief renders you immune (for the most part), though not for the same reasons. I believe consciousness is a primal element of our reality, capable of shaping it. If your disbelief is strong enough, even a legitimate haunting won't be able to affect you. More mundanely, even if a "ghost" did affect you, you'd find a way to rationalize it that conformed to your disbelief. (For example, if a "ghost" actually did move your keys, you'd just tell yourself you forgot where you put them.)

Alien

I Fly Space.
I think the phenomenon is real. I have an unsurprisingly weird take on what causes it, though.

Anyway, I agree that your disbelief renders you immune (for the most part), though not for the same reasons. I believe consciousness is a primal element of our reality, capable of shaping it. If your disbelief is strong enough, even a legitimate haunting won't be able to affect you. More mundanely, even if a "ghost" did affect you, you'd find a way to rationalize it that conformed to your disbelief. (For example, if a "ghost" actually did move your keys, you'd just tell yourself you forgot where you put them.)

Yea thats true. I usually throw my keys on my kitchen table when I get home from work. Might explain why sometimes I find them on my bathroom floor.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
You probably wont get a lot of possitive feedback on this thread because you seemed to have already mocked and cast judgment on people who genuinely believe they have encountered spirits (ghost) .

And "seeing a ghost" and beign "possessed" are two seperate things anyway..

Love

Dallas

xkatz

I have had only a few experiences that could be explained by ghost or ghost-like entities, but they also could be easily explained by science as well. Therefore, I am unsure about ghost.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Yea thats true. I usually throw my keys on my kitchen table when I get home from work. Might explain why sometimes I find them on my bathroom floor.
:)

The reverse is true as well. The person who believes in hauntings a) subconsciously empowers them, and b) is likely to misattribute misplacing the keys to "the spirits."

Alien

I Fly Space.
You probably wont get a lot of possitive feedback on this thread because you seemed to have already mocked and cast judgment on people who genuinely believe they have encountered spirits (ghost) .

And "seeing a ghost" and beign "possessed" are two seperate things anyway..

Love

Dallas

I'm aware, that's why I separated the two thoughts. I wasn't really looking for positive feedback, just conversation. I always cast judgment on people..it's what I do. I'm judging you right now for misspelling words.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I'm aware, that's why I separated the two thoughts. I wasn't really looking for positive feedback, just conversation. I always cast judgment on people..it's what I do. I'm judging you right now for misspelling words.
Well, it's your right, but if you're looking for lively discussion, it's also counterproductive.

Few people with dissenting views will bother voicing them if you've already called them stupid. I'm just ornery. ;)

Alien

I Fly Space.
Well, it's your right, but if you're looking for lively discussion, it's also counterproductive.

Few people with dissenting views will bother voicing them if you've already called them stupid. I'm just ornery. ;)

I'm at work right now. This is already far from productive seeing that I should be focusing on the task at hand. The reason I usually voice my dissenting views first is because I like to crush my opposition before they have a chance to speak. :: Flexes Arms ::

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I'm at work right now. This is already far from productive seeing that I should be focusing on the task at hand. The reason I usually voice my dissenting views first is because I like to crush my opposition before they have a chance to speak. :: Flexes Arms ::
:rolleyes:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

Judge away..I spelled well enough for you to comprehend and in return admit you are judging people and its "what you do".

I hope all goes well in your search for conversation.

Love

Dallas

Comicaze247

See the previous line
I honestly have no idea. But as there have been multiple reports of seeing ghosts and having experiences with ghosts, I can't deny that there's something going on.

One of my theories on it is that when something very intense events happen in a place (like a brutal murder), some energy from the emotions of the people involved linger, and therefore, can be felt by people who wander into these places years later.

Another one of my theories is that there are just some spirits who adamantly refuse to return their energy to the universal spirit, and therefore linger.

Note: these are all based on my own personal beliefs.

dogsgod

Considering the laws of physics, and what is required to see things and to be seen, or what is required to move objects, or produce sounds, ghosts are not adequate explanations for the experiences that people have. Some seemingly irrational events can't always be readily explained and people can't seem to be satisfied with leaving the dots unconnected, so we sometimes jump to conclusions in order to provide ourselves with an answer.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
When we die...do we become ghosts?...or spirits?

If neither then there is no after life?