• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think God wanted Adam to stay in Eden?

Do you think God wanted Adam to stay in Eden?

• Total voters

gnostic

The Lost One
Do you think God wanted Adam to stay in Eden? Do you think God really didn't want them to eat the fruit? Do you think it was unavoidable?

Ronald

What is, or will ever be hidden from God?
Because he has the end in his view, some think he wanted Adam to sin, but it it is not so!
The outcome would have been different, but Gan Eden will be the end result, just a different road traveled. Circle of God.

Shalom

gnostic

The Lost One
I don't believe the Creation story to be real, thus a myth or allegory.

But viewing this from perspective of how it was written in the narrative, I have come to the conclusion that God wanted them to leave the garden in order to populate the world, and they can't do this while living in Eden, and in order to do this, they must learn how to toil, working for their food.

Therefore, I believe that this deity put the fruit there, in the middle of the Garden, where he knew they would eat the fruit, regardless of what warning he gave them about eating it.

If God had being really serious about not wanting them to sin or to eat the fruit, he would not have put the tree there.

Ronald

I don't believe the Creation story to be real, thus a myth or allegory.

But viewing this from perspective of how it was written in the narrative, I have come to the conclusion that God wanted them to leave the garden in order to populate the world, and they can't do this while living in Eden, and in order to do this, they must learn how to toil, working for their food.

Therefore, I believe that this deity put the fruit there, in the middle of the Garden, where he knew they would eat the fruit, regardless of what warning he gave them about eating it.

If God had being really serious about not wanting them to sin or to eat the fruit, he would not have put the tree there.
Adam and his offspring would have extended the borders of Gan Eden and the world would have been populated by 'obedient children'. That is his will! And it will be so in the end. I have no doubt!!!
That is why the tree of life was there also.

Shalom

Popeyesays

Eden is allegory, for sure. B ut God is not allegory, even though we use allegory all the time to try to understand God.

Regards,
Scott

Melancholy

異端者
I wanted to vote that Eden was an allegory, but God was not.
I'd have to agree with you Gnostic that God wanted them to have children and to do so they had to eat the fruit for his plan to succeed.

gnostic

The Lost One
ronald said:
That is why the tree of life was there also.

The problem here is that if all Adam's children lived forever, after eating the fruit from the Tree of Life, is that eventually, the population would exceeded to breaking point, run out of food, and eventually starved, because they don't know how to toil for food. The Tree of Life can't continuously feed the growing population, Ronald.

ronald said:
Adam and his offspring would have extended the borders of Gan Eden and the world would have been populated by 'obedient children'. That is his will! And it will be so in the end. I have no doubt!!!

Sorry, but if this is true, then there would be no literate people, thus no bible. No bible would mean possibly no Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, David, Solomon and no Jesus.

Do you seriously think the world would be a better place? Maybe. But I am doubtful that changing history could improve or make the world a better place.

Ronald

The problem here is that if all Adam's children lived forever, after eating the fruit from the Tree of Life, is that eventually, the population would exceeded to breaking point, run out of food, and eventually starved, because they don't know how to toil for food. The Tree of Life can't continuously feed the growing population, Ronald.
Limiting Y H V H ! Read the final chapter!

gnostic said:
Sorry, but if this is true, then there would be no literate people, thus no bible. No bible would mean possibly no Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, David, Solomon and no Jesus.
The word of the Lord came to Abraham. Adam the illiterate baby, names all the animal kingdom. Illiterate, I think not!
gnostic said:
Do you seriously think the world would be a better place? Maybe. But I am doubtful that changing history could improve or make the world a better place.
Read the final chapter. Remember you are looking at a fallen world not the world that could have been and will be again. Oh, yes, I believe things would have been so fantastic neither you nor I can fanthom how great.

You need new eyes. To see the world according to Y H V H -!

Shalom

tomspug

Absorbant
Actually, my theory isn't on the list of choices. The way I see it, if Adam and Eve had been obedient, God probably would have eventually taught them knowledge of good and evil in his own time. I also believe that God intended them to eventually leave the garden by His own will and procreate.

gnostic

The Lost One
The 2nd last question "It was part of God's plan." should have been split in 2:

• It was part of God's plan for them to stay in Eden.
  • It was part of God's plan for them to leave Eden.

gnostic

The Lost One
ronald said:
The word of the Lord came to Abraham. Adam the illiterate baby, names all the animal kingdom. Illiterate, I think not!
I mean "illiterate" as not being able to read and write.

At no point in the Genesis which demonstrated that anyone could read and write. And knowing the names of animals don't mean that they could read and write.

Smoke

Done here.
I think the tree, like the tree of life, was there for God's own use. Adam and Eve were supposed to tend the garden and not ask questions. The serpent came along and liberated them, and then everybody had to suffer God's wrath. Re-writers came along later and took God's side.

I didn't check that the story is an allegory, because although I don't think it's factual, I do think it was meant to be taken as factual.

Ringer

Jar of Clay
I think the whole reason for the Tree to be in Eden was because God wanted to test them. Adam and Eve were both like God in that they were without sin. However, this nature was never confirmed. For all we know, if Adam and Eve have passed the test, the tree could have been banished and no other scenario would have been presented to Adam and Eve to cause a fall.

I don't follow why people say that the fall was necessary so that they could know good and evil. They would have known good and evil, just not their version of it. In essence, when they ate the fruit of the tree, they were calling God a liar and put their ways above God's. Was this a surprise to God? Of course not. I'm a trinitarian so I think of the scenario going something like:

God the Father: Wow! I think we did a pretty good job don't you think?

God the Son: Yep

GtF: They have everything they could ask for. Perfect fellowship with God, all their needs are met and anything their hearts desire will be theirs. But, we never actually confirmed that men will truely desire to be obedient. I've been cooking up a little scenario......you know what's going to happen don't you?

GtS: Yep

GtF: And you know what I'm going to ask of you once this plays out?

GtS: Yep

GtF: I will present you as a perfect sacrifice, like a lamb to the slaughter. Your life will be what the world has never seen before and never will since. People will despise you, they will hate you, and they will crucify you. But through it all, the world will know that because of my love for them, I was willing to send my only Son so that they could be presented blameless and be with Me for eternity. How does that sound?

GtS: Besides the whole crucifixtion part, it doesn't sound too bad.

GtF: True, you will experience pain and even death, just like those before and after you. But what greater love is there than he that would lay down his life down for a friend? You will be the exact representation of me and through you the world will know my love.

GtS: You're right. I don't see any other way.

GtF: Alright then...lets rock and roll.

Ronald

I think the whole reason for the Tree to be in Eden was because God wanted to test them. Adam and Eve were both like God in that they were without sin. However, this nature was never confirmed. For all we know, if Adam and Eve have passed the test, the tree could have been banished and no other scenario would have been presented to Adam and Eve to cause a fall.

I don't follow why people say that the fall was necessary so that they could know good and evil. They would have known good and evil, just not their version of it. In essence, when they ate the fruit of the tree, they were calling God a liar and put their ways above God's. Was this a surprise to God? Of course not. I'm a trinitarian so I think of the scenario going something like:
What you describe there is the 'evil twins'.

My God when he has finished all that he had done 'He said it is good.'

Man had two choices. He chose wrong, then the savior was needed, had he chosen right all would be 'good' to this day! When the renewal occurs it will be as if it had the right choice had been made. Y H V H is ONE! He sent his 'word' as flesh to redeem man from sin. The only begotten son. The trinity is saying God, you're a liar.

God is not a man that he should lie! There is only one 'Eternal', that is the one "Holy God, Y H V H -!

Shalom

Ronald

I mean "illiterate" as not being able to read and write.

At no point in the Genesis which demonstrated that anyone could read and write. And knowing the names of animals don't mean that they could read and write.
What ever are you saying? God was illiterate? When his spirit was breathed into Adam he was perfect, just like the God he was created in the image of! Adam lacked nothing, just because the bible did not say that Adam could read and write, you assume he could not. The bible didn't say in no uncertain terms that the inhabitants were to bring a first fruits offering either, but we find the two sons of Adam bringing the first fruits! Get a life! :yes:

Shalom

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Is God's hand too short?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Actually, my theory isn't on the list of choices. The way I see it, if Adam and Eve had been obedient, God probably would have eventually taught them knowledge of good and evil in his own time. I also believe that God intended them to eventually leave the garden by His own will and procreate.
It's fun just thinking up stuff, isn't it?