• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does any religion specifically comdenm interfaith marriages?

Theweirdtophat

I personally don't mind if I had a girlfriend that was a different religion from me, as long as we didn't try to convert each other. I wouldn't mind going to church with her and I would like for her to join me in a druidic grove. Pagan religions from what I know don't really talk about the subject much so I guess they are cool with it. Abrahamic faiths I hear are sometimes a little strict but each denomination is different and some are more lenient than others. I have known Christian and Jews getting married, Jews and Muslims getting married and Muslims and Christians getting married so I guess some groups are ok with it.

I heard Buddhism doesn't mind it as much but I heard Hinduism and Zoroastrianism tends to be a little strict about it. I'm not sure about Taoism or Shinto though. Just wondering what your thoughts on this and wondered if you know any religions or denominations within religions that condemn this.

I still find it strange that even though there's still some religious conflict, there are others that are find with interfaith marriages. I mean, if two people in love from completely different religions get married, then there's no reason why others can't get along.

Sees

Dragonslayer
One thing is that people belonging, or professing to belong, to a specific religion, doesn't automatically make it so that they know all the info or that they follow it to any specific extent or degree.

Sometimes it's not an "absolutely may not marry outside of the religious community" but you can't/shouldn't marry an atheist, polytheist, etc.

The traditions where family makes a big part of the traditions with family ritual, celebration, etc. it wouldn't make the best of sense to marry aperson who thinks your traditions are absolutely wrong, evil, etc. So even in very free and open pagan traditions it could be troublesome though nobody outside the two folks involved has a say in the matter.

Theweirdtophat

It can be, but of course some are more lenient about it than others. It can all be troublesome, even interracial relationships can be troublesome depending the family, traditions, ect. I think if you're raising kids it can be a problem because there's the dilemma of how you would want to raise the kid. A Druid, a Christian, ect. But some parents won't bother and just let the kid choose, which they really should do anyway. And of course not all married couples have kids.

I heard Zoroastrians would ban you from their temples if you married someone outside of your religion but I wasn't sure though. but some may frown upon it even though it's not strictly forbidden. But then it shouldn't matter what others think anyway as long as you and your spouse are happy.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
There was much furore about my marriage to a Pagan, back in the day. It seemed to be fueled somewhat by my intention to become a pastor (at the time) and on some level I can see where the concern came from. But at the same time, I think that sorting people into little bins of identification is more of a "human thing" than a "God thing". I don't recall Jesus ever referring to anyone primarily by their faith label; I don't think those are the terms prophets usually see people by. And since the prophets write the holy books, how could there really be such a proscription in any faith?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
It's frowned on in Judaism, with all but the most liberal movements refusing to perform ceremonies for interfaith marriages.

As Jews, we're commanded to keep a Jewish home and to raise our children as Jews. While that isn't completely impossible in a mixed-faith household, it is extremely difficult and unlikely to happen.

NulliuSINverba

I mean, if two people in love from completely different religions get married, then there's no reason why others can't get along.

"When the LORD your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations--the Hittites, Girga****es, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites, seven nations larger and stronger than you--and when the LORD your God has delivered them over to you and you have defeated them, then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy. Do not intermarry with them. Do not give your daughters to their sons or take their daughters for your sons ..." ~ Deuteronomy 7:1-3

"Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?" ~ 2 Corinthians 6:14

"... hold not to the ties of marriage of unbelieving women ..." ~ The Qur'an (Surah 060.010)

"... our Religious Scriptures disapprove the marriage of Zoroastrians with members of other communities and faith and consider it to be a transgression of the tenets of the religion." ~ cited from zoroastrianism.com

Actually, if your goal was to prevent people from getting along, could you have devised a more effective method than religion?

"A plague o' both your houses! They have made worms' meat of me." ~ William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet (Act 3, Scene 1)

Theweirdtophat

I'll check out the books as sometimes quotes are taken out of context and misinterpreted. I know Jews Christians and Muslims have married each other. I'm guessing some denominations are more lenient than others. There's different branches of Zoroastrianism from what I've heard as well.

I never said that my "goal" I'm just saying it shouldn't matter. I mean I still see people in religious conflict and I see two people of different religions not just getting along, but getting married. Really almost all of the religions have the same goal anyway, which is peace on you and to others. Some religions, if you look at history sometimes have more in common than one would think.

I just don't know why any religion would be against interfaith. I mean real love goes beyond anything, even religion.

Blackmarch

W'rkncacntr
I personally don't mind if I had a girlfriend that was a different religion from me, as long as we didn't try to convert each other. I wouldn't mind going to church with her and I would like for her to join me in a druidic grove. Pagan religions from what I know don't really talk about the subject much so I guess they are cool with it. Abrahamic faiths I hear are sometimes a little strict but each denomination is different and some are more lenient than others. I have known Christian and Jews getting married, Jews and Muslims getting married and Muslims and Christians getting married so I guess some groups are ok with it.

I heard Buddhism doesn't mind it as much but I heard Hinduism and Zoroastrianism tends to be a little strict about it. I'm not sure about Taoism or Shinto though. Just wondering what your thoughts on this and wondered if you know any religions or denominations within religions that condemn this.

I still find it strange that even though there's still some religious conflict, there are others that are find with interfaith marriages. I mean, if two people in love from completely different religions get married, then there's no reason why others can't get along.
There probably is some, somewhere, that makes it an absolute sin. Generally in Christian sphere it's advised against but not an all out sin.
There were certainly Israelites in the bible who got married to people of other religions.
in the LDS sphere it would mean that unless the one who isn't LDS converts and is faithful, that the marriage will only last for mortal life.

Having 2 different religions in a marriage is definitely going to add challenge and complexity to it (which is probably why it's advised against).

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It's frowned on in Judaism, with all but the most liberal movements refusing to perform ceremonies for interfaith marriages.

As Jews, we're commanded to keep a Jewish home and to raise our children as Jews. While that isn't completely impossible in a mixed-faith household, it is extremely difficult and unlikely to happen.
You know that I'm a "Jew by choice", and I agree with you, but not 100%. It can be done, but no doubt there's many things that potentially could go wrong.

I converted about 20 years ago, and we attend both my wife's Christian and my Jewish services on a regular basis, and we've not had a single problem with this or with our "children" (they're all in their 40's). Our oldest daughter and her kids converted to Judaism about seven years ago, our youngest daughter and her family are Catholic, and our son is secular but his wife's Christian.

We never argue religion, and often attend teach other's special services. Our grandkids have picked up on this openness and, again, no arguing.

To me, there's almost always pros and cons in what we may do, so I do believe there's some pros and some cons to both mixed marriages and also try to force people to marry within. IMO, marrying within is what I'd recommend, but if one falls in love with someone from another faith, there's no way I'd tell them that they shouldn't unless something serious surfaces that gives indication that a problem(s) is likely.

Reactions: gsa

Treks

Sikhs in the UK protest over mixed marriages

I've been to a couple of mixed faith weddings in the Gurdwara. It's funny to watch non-Indian non-Sikhs trying to sit on the floor in dresses because no one told them what to wear...

SahmKohm

As I recall Islam permits their men to marry Jews and Christians but their women are prohibited from doing this.