• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does any supernatural god exist?

Does any supernatural god exist?

• Certainly

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • Certainly not

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Certainly don't know

Votes: 18 43.9%

• Total voters

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Sorry. I read your line as "has the right", not, as you actually wrote, "has it right."

Nevertheless, they don't have it right because it "may turn out to be true", they are right to include it because it's an accurate reflection of how some use the word.
Ok I understand now.

I note your dissent, but if you go down that track, so as to be consistent, should you then question science based on hypotheses being called "science", because only some "may turn out to be true"?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Observation, contemplation, meditation, all help to understand what one is in the context of all that exists.

It does not need to be just a collective, it is the individual who has the responsibility to learn the difference between the manifest and the unmanifest, and then one is able to discern reality as it is, not having to rely on someone else's belief or claim.

Partially, I would express it thus, one deals with duality, involving the measurable 5% of reality, the other deals with non-manifested reality, involving a non-dualistic process such as meditation. Btw, if you have never learned to meditate, the process involves the suspension of thought, having a mind that is still, and it is plain silly to imagine that such non-dual states of mind could be subject to analysis by the dualistic mind approach that applies to daily life and science.

If you find meditation helpful, great... but I think you're fooling yourself if you think it's a reliable path to insights beyond the scope of science.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
If you find meditation helpful, great... but I think you're fooling yourself if you think it's a reliable path to insights beyond the scope of science.
That is the thing, you "think" such and such! Thought about reality is not the same thing as reality itself. In meditation when the mind is still and free from thought, then and only then is reality present absolutely, not a mental conceptualization representing reality.
Having said that, meditation is no substitute for science with respect to understanding the material world, and that is essential.
Wrt science and religion, it is not a case of which one is correct, they both have their place in the life of mankind.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. should you then question science based on hypotheses being called "science", because only some "may turn out to be true"?
A scientific hypothesis is not a flight of fancy like the religious hypotheses about God sand soul, it has some evidence, though not yet proved up to sigma 6 standard.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
A scientific hypothesis is not a flight of fancy like the religious hypotheses about God sand soul, it has some evidence, though not yet proved up to sigma 6 standard.
No one said anything about a religious hypothesis, there is only the universal reality present when the human mind is not thinking about reality, call it what you will, Brahman, Tao, Nirvana, etc..

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I wholly agree to that (whether we are here or not). The problems arise when we search for its properties.
It is omnipresent, it has no form of its own (though everything is a form of it), it does not 'interfere' in the worldly affairs, it does not require worship or submission, it does not give a law to humans or other sentient beings, it does not judge our deeds, does not punish or reward for them. Lastly it does not send humans to convey its messages to humanity. Would you agree to that? ;)

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Because it is omnipresent, it is all that exists. It does no 'interfere' in worldly affairs because it is worldly affairs, It does not require worship but it happens because the ones who are doing the worshipping are yet to realize (become one with) that it is they who is being worshipped.
Concerning laws and judgements, 'karma' is the same immutable principle as 'cause and effect' is in the manifested/material part of it.
Concerning human envoys to humanity, evolutionary levels of humanity wrt understanding the bigger picture of existence is not equal, and thus the lessor evolved may attribute certain powers and honors to the more evolved.