• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone consider themselves a 'polydeist'?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Polydeism (from Greek πολύς ( 'poly' ), meaning 'many', and Latin deus meaning God) is a polytheistic form of Deism encompassing the belief that the universe was the collective creation of multiple Gods, each of whom created a piece of the universe and then ceased to interact with the universe. This concept addresses an apparent contradiction in Deism – that a monotheistic God created the universe, but now expresses no apparent interest in it – by supposing that if the universe is the construct of many gods, none of them would have an interest in the universe as a whole. Polydeism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't necessarily hold with the line I bolded because I believe the deities, buddhas, bodhisattvas and other divinities are manifestations and controllers of elements of existence. I think they do interact with us and the universe in their specialty areas, but 'God' (Brahman, Tao, Adi-Buddha) does not. That is simply what everything emanates from. Everything that exists has to have some kind of foundation, substrate or base.

I find myself drawn to protector, strength and wisdom, and righteous warrior deities: I wear a Mjolnir pendant and a Hanuman pendant on silver chains, because Thor and Hanuman represent strength (I'm a gym rat); I revere Saraswati for knowledge and the arts (I like to learn things and I like to think I play guitar :D); I revere Guan yu and Xuan wu, Taoist deities because they are righteous warriors (I wish I had become a cop or a US Marine); Narasimha protects the faithful.

If you do consider yourself a polydeist (probably a longshot that anyone does :p), what deity or deities are you drawn to? Just a thought experiment I composted on a boring afternoon earlier at work today.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
I don't necessarily hold with the line I bolded because I believe the deities, buddhas, bodhisattvas and other divinities are manifestations and controllers of elements of existence. I think they do interact with us and the universe in their specialty areas, but 'God' (Brahman, Tao, Adi-Buddha) does not. That is simply what everything emanates from. Everything that exists has to have some kind of foundation, substrate or base.

I find myself drawn to protector, strength and wisdom, and righteous warrior deities: I wear a Mjolnir pendant and a Hanuman pendant on silver chains, because Thor and Hanuman represent strength (I'm a gym rat); I revere Saraswati for knowledge and the arts (I like to learn things and I like to think I play guitar :D); I revere Guan yu and Xuan wu, Taoist deities because they are righteous warriors (I wish I had become a cop or a US Marine); Narasimha protects the faithful.

If you do consider yourself a polydeist (probably a longshot that anyone does :p), what deity or deities are you drawn to? Just a thought experiment I composted on a boring afternoon earlier at work today.

I equate Truth with God, and just as there can only be one whole Truth, there can only be one God. If, somehow, things started out with polygods, they would all naturally accrete into one, or one would eventually dominate and absorb the rest.