• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone here knit?

Bishka

Veteran Member
I'm looking for someone who knows how to knit or crochet, knitting is preferable, but crocheting will also work!!

Thanks!!

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Me too. Although, I'm not that good with Fair Isle Knitting. :areyoucra

I was thinking of starting a Knitting Bee here, and that we can meet online once a month or so to go over projects, ask questions, and help each other out. We can show off our work when it's all done, too. :)

Peace,
Mystic

Booko

Deviled Hen
I used to knit all the time before I moved south and knitting became mostly irrelevant. :(

I crochet a little, but I've don't a lot of needlepoint and some counted cross-stitch and Swedish weaving.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I do.

Are you looking to start?

Sort of, right now I'm focusing on crocheting because that's all I can do, I'd love to learn to knit, but I actually have a special request.

Would anybody be able to make this Garden Path Shawl for me? I'd be willing to pay you for your time and supplies, I know I will not be good enough to do that for years, and I was wondering if someone could do that for me? PM me if you'd like to or tell me here.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Hmmm. I'll hunt around for my needles and a suitable test yarn and try the pattern before I commit to anything. It's very beautiful shawl... the rest of my lace-type knitting has turned out beautifully but was on a much smaller scale, and I want to make sure before I give a definite yes or no.

If you want to start knitting I'd more more than happy to help you out however I can! :)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I would do it if I weren't already working on two projects at the moment. I'm knitting a "garden throw" blanket, and I'm crocheting a layette for an expecting couple.

Peace,
Mystic

Bishka

Veteran Member
If you want to start knitting I'd more more than happy to help you out however I can! :)

I do not know ever how to start, I would like to get my crocheting up to par before I take on knitting though. I need to perfect that, then work on knitting!!!

Thank you though, you can, like I said, I'll be more then willing to pay you for you time and efforts!!

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I do not know ever how to start, I would like to get my crocheting up to par before I take on knitting though. I need to perfect that, then work on knitting!!!

Thank you though, you can, like I said, I'll be more then willing to pay you for you time and efforts!!

Crocheting helps a lot with knitting, surprisingly. My grandmother taught me to crochet when I was a very little girl and then I taught myself to knit a few years ago. There are lots of good websites for learning to knit that have videos of the basic stitches and such. A good book for knitting after you've got the basics is Knitting in Plain English by Maggie Righetti.

I find the best way is to just get some circular needles in different sizes, lots of cheap yarn, and just practice, practice, pratice, and experiment. :D I say circular needles because anything you can do on straight needles you can do on circular needles and all the things you can do on circs you can't do on straight. It saves money and space and comes with the added bonus that you can't drop one of the needles. :D One of my worst knitting experiences was wandering around all the seats behind me on a greyhound bus asking the people if they could lift their feet up and look for a tiny little stick. In the dark. On a bumpy road.

Dear, if you just chip in for just the yarn I'd be more than happy to make it, I already have the needles and other such I need. Knitting is enjoyable enough on it's own. :) I'll work a section of that pattern in the next few days, finish it up (with the soaking/pinning), and take a picture and see what you think before I would start on the whole thing.

Do you want it done in the yarn listed for the pattern or a suitable sub yarn? I'm just going to find the closest thing I have to that yarn listed for that in an animal fiber ( I don't know if I have alpaca, but I have a lot of wool in the same weight and that will work just for a test) and see how it turns out.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Dear, if you just chip in for just the yarn I'd be more than happy to make it, I already have the needles and other such I need. Knitting is enjoyable enough on it's own. :) I'll work a section of that pattern in the next few days, finish it up (with the soaking/pinning), and take a picture and see what you think before I would start on the whole thing.

Do you want it done in the yarn listed for the pattern or a suitable sub yarn? I'm just going to find the closest thing I have to that yarn listed for that in an animal fiber ( I don't know if I have alpaca, but I have a lot of wool in the same weight and that will work just for a test) and see how it turns out.

Umm....whatever you think would be best, I don't want it purple though, I am not a purple fan. :cover: Black, Dark Blue, Dark Red or White. :)

I don't know the difference between yarns!! :eek::cover:

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Umm....whatever you think would be best, I don't want it purple though, I am not a purple fan. :cover: Black, Dark Blue, Dark Red or White. :)

I don't know the difference between yarns!! :eek::cover:

Okay, I'm gonna shoot you a PM. :D We can talk yarn and the pattern there.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I used to Crochet But only with homespun Yarn.
I can spin and weave too.
Crochet is mostly very easy in wool.
Just too fiddly in fine cotton:eek:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Which do y'all think is easier, knitting or crocheting?

Crocheting is by far much easier. But I like the look of knit.

Lace patterns only requires some practice, as Maesi hinted at. Once you get into the habit of doing YO (yarn-over) on the right side of the work, and then not dropping any stitches on the wrong side of the work, it's a piece of cake.

Cable stitches are some of my favorite pieces to produce.

I remember when I made my first bobble. :cover:

Peace,
Mystic