• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone here wear a torc?

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
I was thinking about it and wondered if anyone wore one (torc/torq/torque) or even had one. I've got one and have been thinking about wearing it about a bit.

Mata

Insert Witty Title Here
I don't have one, but I think they're awesome and would like to get one someday! :D

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
Is your understanding about it also that they were originally worn to show ones willingness to be sacrificed if the weather was bad, crops failed, etc? By being strangled (via tongs with the knobs on the end of the torc), stabbed, and tossed into a lake (or bog)? I heard this from someone who seemed to know what they were talking about but now I can't find a references,

Last edited:

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Is your understanding about it also that they were originally worn to show ones willingness to be sacrificed if the weather was bad, crops failed, etc? By being strangled (via tongs with the knobs on the end of the torc), stabbed, and tossed into a lake (or bog). I heard this from someone who seemed to know what they were talking about but now I can't find a references,

I've never heard that. Though, they were a sign of nobility, and ritual regicide wasn't uncommon.

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
Yes I think that was the idea. The symbol denoting nobility indicated both your economic privilege and symbolic responsibility for the collective wealth, fertility, and martial success of your community. Certain families wore them to indicate their power and status over slaves, vassals, etc. However if things weren't going well someone (assumably the druids?) would determine the spirits needed to be placated and offer up one of the noble families as a sacrifice.

But I am uncertain if this is the case and may be repeating some repeated bad information or sketchy archeological speculation. I always liked the idea though. I have to say that I would personally feel much more comfortable about our system of government if say, after the financial crisis, there was a solid cultural demand for the public mass sacrifice of a certain number of the responsible bankers, officials, and financiers. They would be quickly replaced. Everyone who benefits from the situation or system in power should lose hard if they mess it up for everyone else. This I think would adequately symbolize the life-and-death power we have all allowed money and capitalist values to have over our lives, and hopefully serve as a motivation for personal responsibility. I'm sure this kind of system would see abuse too its just nice to think about.

Last edited:

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
I know that this is an old thread, but oh well. I do wear a torc almost daily. I finally got one when I went to a renaissance festival in Central Ohio. From my understanding they represent Freeman status, not that you were willing to be sacrificed.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I can't find anywhere.
All the ones I've seen have been, well, expensive. Was yours? Or alright? :)

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
i use to have one of brass i would where it when trying to connect to an arch type of a Celtic warrior

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
I can't find anywhere.
All the ones I've seen have been, well, expensive. Was yours? Or alright? :)

It was hand-made out of braided wire. It was only 40 dollars. Brass and copper I think.
http://avikingsdream.com/index.html This is their website. I don't see any torcs on it though.

WanderLust

Inquisitive One
Jeez, these things are expensive. Out of curiosity, how would you get it around your neck? They look like solid pieces and if they're meant to fit somewhat tight to the neck, how do you even get it on?