• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Atheism Have A Dogma?

Runt

I don't think it necessarily has a dogma. I think it just appears to because most people who are atheists are atheists because they have thoroughly embraced logic and reason, and therefore also reject anything that does NOT fit logic and reason. Based on that one premise, all their arguments will pretty much follow the same pattern, giving the appearance of an atheist dogma.

The only time atheism seems to take on an honest-to-God dogma is when atheists become convinced that not only are they right, but their way of looking at the world is the ONLY WAY THE WORLD SHOULD BE VIEWED and therefore it is their duty to force everyone to look at things the atheist way. Every 'religion' (atheism, paganism, taoism, buddhism, christianity, islam, etc) believes that it is "more right" than other religions, but these religions only become annoying when they start trying to push their views on others, rather than allowing everyone to forge a spiritual path alone (and yes, atheists do have spirituality, just not spirituality that is supernatural in nature.)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The CHRISTIAN APOLOGETICS & RESEARCH MINISTRY (CARM) offers the following Terms and Definitions:
  • Atheism - the lack of belief in a god and/or the belief that there is no god.
  • Dogma - a generally held set of formulated beliefs.
This suggests that atheists are minimally defined as those who see no compelling evidence warranting belief in God(s) which, in turn, suggests a "set of formulated beliefs" concerning the probative value of those considerations proposed by theists as evidence of Diety.

The problem, of course, is that such a definition of dogma is not too helpful. Using it, all groups identifiable on the basis of beliefs "have a dogma" by virtue of being identifiable.

Many of the atheists on this forum are not just atheists--they are also skeptics. Still, you can't say atheists have a "dogma" because Master Vigil is technically an atheist...and he believes in spirits and so forth. I do not.

Pah

Uber all member
I beleive that dogma is a product of organization - an organization with authority and formal members. While that is possible for an atheistic view, it occurs so infrequently in relation to the number of atheists that it might be wrong to say we have a dogma.

Some might - most don't

pah

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
pah said:
I beleive that dogma is a product of organization - an organization with authority and formal members.
I suspect that just the opposite is the case - the Communist Manifesto preceeded the Politburo.

Pah

Uber all member
Deut. 32.8 said:
I suspect that just the opposite is the case - the Communist Manifesto preceeded the Politburo.

You could be right dependant on the amount of principle and policy committed to the manifesto. I generally think of a manifesto as an intention.

The Communist Manifesto was published for the Communist League, an organization of German emigre workers throughout Europe.

-pah-

Master Vigil

It is true, some athiests may see my spirituality to be compared to athiesm. I wouldn't say I'm an athiest though, for I believe the Tao created all things. Christians may think I'm going to hell, but I'm not exactly an athiest. I just don't believe in the christian idea of god or anything in the bible at all. But I do believe there to be more than science has to offer. I do believe in spirits and paranormal things. All that separates me from being an athiest however would probably just be definitions. And thats the cool part. I believe all beliefs are the same, they just don't use the same words.

Pah

Uber all member
Master Vigil said:
It is true, some athiests may see my spirituality to be compared to athiesm. I wouldn't say I'm an athiest though, for I believe the Tao created all things. Christians may think I'm going to hell, but I'm not exactly an athiest. I just don't believe in the christian idea of god or anything in the bible at all. But I do believe there to be more than science has to offer. I do believe in spirits and paranormal things. All that separates me from being an athiest however would probably just be definitions. And thats the cool part. I believe all beliefs are the same, they just don't use the same words.

I can not compare you to an atheist for you seem to recognize something, perhaps a life force, outside of yourself. At least from my perspective, I feel I am independant of that. I exist because I exist.

I feel no kinship to other living things except for those in the animal kingdom - differing in the degree of sentience and the other capabilities of the mind. I differ in the physical in strength and form, as well. I am an evolutionary product without real concern of origins.

I ascribe to concepts of society, i.e., law custom, and morality, and the promise of science to continue to investigate questions which currently have no solid explanation. There is no dismay when science has no answer and will perhaps never have one.

In short, I do not think I even have spirituality to accompany the creatainty of my absence of faith.. I am what I am. And, you are what you are and that gives us each an identity.

-pah-

Well, atheism is generally the disbeleif in God....God is generally defined as an intelligent, all powerful, sentient being. If you don't believe in that general definition of God, I'd say you are technically an atheist as well as a Taoist.