• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Death End it All?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I have always proposed that total annihilation or solipsism are the only two possible outcomes after death. Either we turn into fertilizer or our consciousness becomes our own universe as I do not see the likelihood of consciousness mingling with another consciousness beyond this point.

ardee2x

At last, something Religion and Science can agree on. Energy (the soul), cannot be destroyed, only transformed.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So if it's possible that a magical pink unicorn exists....

If possibility is the only reason you can come up with then I see no reason to say 'yay' either

Now...now...now....
You threw extreme imagination into a reasoning discussion.

I might think of you having horns and a tail.
Might be attractive.....but.....

As for the next life AS a possibility....yeah.
and with 7billion POSSIBLE examples.....yeah.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
At last, something Religion and Science can agree on. Energy (the soul), cannot be destroyed, only transformed.

And then the flipside....
I believe the peace of heaven is guarded.
Not everyone enters.

I saw it written somewhere....
Fear not anyone who would harm the flesh. Fear instead He who is able to rend the soul.

As assembly, we can be disassembled.
We are not our own handiwork.
We are not what sustains us.
The chemistry will fail....a certainty.
The soul is up for grabs when we die.

Do you anticipate Someone waiting?
Or the total chaos of 7billion souls having crossed over....
and no One in charge?

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Now...now...now....
You threw extreme imagination into a reasoning discussion.

Just through out an example of something that could exist. I could of used something else if I wanted to

As for the next life AS a possibility....yeah.
and with 7billion POSSIBLE examples.....yeah.

It's also possible that there is no next life...

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Just through out an example of something that could exist. I could of used something else if I wanted to

It's also possible that there is no next life...

Well let's try the word...'likelihood'.....
maybe that will work for you?

7billion 'possible' crossovers and the likelihood is 'none at all'?

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Well let's try the word...'likelihood'.....
maybe that will work for you?

7billion 'possible' crossovers and the likelihood is 'none at all'?

No, but I don't think it's particularly likely

Thief

Rogue Theologian
No, but I don't think it's particularly likely

That I can deal with.
Many seek the path....few find it.
I've read it is narrow.

I do suspect the peace of heaven is guarded.
Perhaps the angels DO draw sword quickly....as quickly as we stand from the dust.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
Yes those who are afraid of death will cling to anything that may give them hope, possibility being one of those.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I can see it going either way, actually. A fear of death – or rather, fear of[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]the unknown beyond it – can easily drive some to cling to the hope that[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]there's *nothing* beyond it.

-
[/FONT]

FranklinMichaelV.3

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I can see it going either way, actually. A fear of death – or rather, fear of[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]the unknown beyond it – can easily drive some to cling to the hope that[/FONT]

-
[/FONT]

I don't know considering that almost every religion has some form of an afterlife or continuation in one sense or another. If it was so easy those probably wouldn't be a part of them I think.

Knight of Albion

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I can see it going either way, actually. A fear of death – or rather, fear of[/FONT]

-
[/FONT]

It is commonly reported among people who have experienced a NDE that they completely lose their fear of death, and their experience helps and inspires them to order their lives and be better, kinder people.
(This applies to atheists who underwent NDEs too....)

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student

-
[/FONT]
Yes, this is a good point.

Fear of death has been used for millennia as a means of controlling people with that fear. It can motivate humans to commit all kinds of inhuman behavior in order to avoid it. What are we afraid of? What makes a person capable of committing atrocities upon other humans in order to avoid being killed themselves?

The fact is, it is not natural for humans to WANT to die. If we can understand why that is, despite the fact that ageing, sickness and death is all the human race have ever experienced, then we will begin to see why something inevitable is so dreaded and why the youth, beauty and health industries flourish in the vain attempts to forestall it.

Of all the life forms on this planet, only man has the ability to contemplate his own demise and to comprehend what it means in real life experience. We alone grieve to an extent that emotionally cripples us for a long time.....sometimes for many years.

The animal kingdom, by and large accepts death as a natural part of their existence. Humans fight to live, but animals do not seem to have a comprehension of their own death. Even those who prey on other creatures do not fully comprehend death, but see the death of other animals as perpetuating their own existence. Instinct drives this self preservation, not conscious planning.

For those who accept the Bible's account of creation, even if they accept the stated hope of an afterlife of peace and happiness beyond death...it is still not something that is anticipated with joy. Why, if we believe that our loved ones have gone on to a better life, do we still grieve so deeply?

Our natural response to death should tell us that it was never meant to happen. We were never designed to accept death or the loss of loved ones because God originally designed us to go on living indefinitely.

If an act of disobedience had not introduced death into the lives of humans, then our lives would have been lived perpetually in the paradise conditions where God first placed humankind.

Myths surrounding what happens after death abound in all cultures, but as far as the Bible is concerned, death is just that. It is not another kind of life, but the end of our present existence.
The Bible speaks of resurrection (a return to human life in the flesh) for the majority of us, not spirit life in another plane of existence. It is this myth of continued existence in an unknown place (maybe in eternal suffering) that causes people to fear death.

If you have the Bible's view, there is nothing to fear. Death is nothing more terrifying than going to sleep. (John 11:11-14) The process of dying can involve suffering, but in death itself there is no consciousness. (Eccl 9:5, 10) Jesus has promised to restore people to life once the earth has been cleansed of all wickedness. (John 5:28, 29; 2 Pet 3:13)
Both the "righteous and the unrighteous" are promised a return to life, not just to heaven (in the case of a limited number of chosen ones) but to never ending life here on earth for the majority of us, as God first purposed in the beginning.

This life was meant to be the one we lived forever. That life was interrupted by rebellion, but it was always God's purpose in sending Jesus Christ, to bring us back to what we lost in Eden. (Rev 21:3-5)

There is nothing to fear in death. The worst that can happen is that God will not bring us back to life. Everlasting death is the opposite of everlasting life....the Bible (as opposed to the musings of human imagination) indicates nothing more complicated than that. :)