• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God have a role in natural disasters like the tsunami?

• Yes, God is punishing us.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, God is testing us.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, the earthquake and tsunamis were sent by God, but we don't know what the purpose was.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Although I believe in God, the supernatural had nothing to do with this tragedy.

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • God doesn't exist, and disasters like this are just forces of nature.

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters

SoulTYPE

Hi Maize

Well, I'd say that which he created..earth, plants, life, is still suffering some minor flaw. I do not think he is responsible for the tsunami directly and did not use it to "execute" his "wrath:)

fromthe heart

I can't say my religion says anything on this at all...but in my personal relationship with God I do not believe any of this was His making as punishment...The world was created by Him(MPO), I was made by Him(MPO), if the world takes these little changes and we are in the way(SO TO SPEAK),we just get caught in an occurrance...or if we fall we break a leg...this doesn't make it God's fault...it has to do with the make-up of things. I think long ago when natural disasters happened people did feel that they had offended the gods and this was happening because of that...even though the Bible says about earthquakes and such that doesn't mean God has sent it to punish...it means it happens 'because'. Because the earth shifted, because it rained the earth slid,because pressure built up the volcano erupted...you know...'because'.:)

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
I don't believe in God. But if I did, I would feel that God SHOULD do something to prevent such tragedies. The earthquake caused the flood. A fault in the Earth caused the earthquake. God made the Earth. Therefore, the flood was His fault (no pun intended).

fromthe heart

retrorich said:
I don't believe in God. But if I did, I would feel that God SHOULD do something to prevent such tragedies. The earthquake caused the flood. A fault in the Earth caused the earthquake. God made the Earth. Therefore, the flood was His fault (no pun intended).
I respect your point...but to say that then you'd have to blame those poor people for living in harms way for their own demise. God didn't tell them to live where this could occur. They chose to live there. You want to live in a volcano...you get burned.:)

huajiro

Depending on your religion, "God" doesn't step in until it has something to do with financial matters, otherwise, he is just listening.

robtex

Veteran Member
fromthe heart said:
I respect your point...but to say that then you'd have to blame those poor people for living in harms way for their own demise. God didn't tell them to live where this could occur. They chose to live there. You want to live in a volcano...you get burned.:)
That is an interesting statement. I want to make two statements based on it.

1) That would hold more water (retrorich started it:)) if there was a warning system in place for those kind of distaster via divine intervention.

2) I am willing bet that most people die pretty close to where they were born. Espically in poor cournties where you are born pretty much dicates by and large and where you will live your entire life. I would submit by the culture and economics of that area that very few people move in our out of those enviroments.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
I think the G-d has used this tragedy for His purpose but we may never know why. What we should do is try to help people who are suffering.

LittleNipper

The problem I have with this poll is that it forgets that GOD ALLOWS whatever happens to happen.
That does not mean that GOD is pointing HIS finger and sending forth bolts of lightning to destroy people. Actually, I feel that Satan and his demons are the destructive factor that is missed by this poll. Start by reading the book of Job. The LORD places in Satan's hand the ability to carry out his plan (in this case with a proviso). I feel strongly that SATAN is the destroyer. GOD merely allows Satan his moment. GOD has all eternity.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
LittleNipper said:
The problem I have with this poll is that it forgets that GOD ALLOWS whatever happens to happen.
Agree with this statement, but not with the "it's Satan's fault" statements following. God allows us humans to choose our actions, even if that means that some of us will choose to harm others. God allows nature to follow natural law, even if that means that natural dissasters will harm others. For those who ask "why," just consider the alternative. I mean really consider the repercussions.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Hi Maize,

My God (Religion:My own) doesn't; I believe he 'interferes' very seldom. As I believe in reincarnation, we are all here to 'grow'.

No person/s are 'guilty' for natural disasters; hey, we even help create them -Global warming?:)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Isaiah 45:7 - I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I am HaShem, that doeth all these things.

You have an omiscient and omnipotent God who, from before Genesis, knew of the tsunami and, in fact, created its evil consequences. You can run from the Prolem of Evil, but you can't hide.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
lilithu said:
I mean really consider the repercussions.
The "Probem of Evil" has been "really considered" for quite some time. I would love to hear a good reason for creating natural disaster.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD

Yes. His role is sitting on His holy buttocks doing nothing while disasters occur, then accepting undeserved credit for the few people who survive the disasters (i.e., "Thank God, he's alive!"). :rolleyes: