• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God have emotions?

DanishDude

What do you believe and why?

I would like to qoute Alvin Plantinga on this one:
"As the Christian sees things, God does not stand idly by, cooly observing the suffering of His creatures. He enters into and shares our suffering. He endures the anguish of seeing his son, the second person of the Trinity, consigned to the bitterly cruel and shameful death of the cross. Some theologians claim that God cannot suffer. I believe they are wrong. God's capacity for suffering, I believe, is proportional to his greatness; it exceeds our capacity for suffering in the same measure as his capacity for knowledge exceeds ours. Christ was prepared to endure the agonies of hell itself; and God, the Lord of the universe, was prepared to endure the suffering consequent upon his son's humiliation and death. He was prepared to accept this suffering in order to overcome sin, and death, and the evils that afflict our world, and to confer on us a life more glorious than we can imagine. So we don't know why God permits evil; we do know, however, that He was prepared to suffer on our behalf, to accept suffering of which we can form no conception."

Let's start the discussion. Enjoy!

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
What would be the point? Shouldn't God worry about getting things done for a desired outcome in the long run instead of worrying about what people react to his actions in the present?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
What would be the point? Shouldn't God worry about getting things done for a desired outcome in the long run instead of worrying about what people react to his actions in the present?

Yea that's it, in my church they use to tell their children that every time you do something naughty you make Jesus cry, that's disgusting.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
The animating, universal cosmic Force we call God? No. The local Gods that polytheists are familiar with? Yes.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
But wouldn't they just tell you through their own emotion's ?.

Huh? I'm saying that the people who have worked with different deities, spirits and Daimons/Demons will tell you that they are individuals with their own personal likes and dislikes and who exhibit a range of responses.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not going to pretend I get the one-god that the OP is probably referring to, but it would seem to me that such a god-concept would transcend a human thing like emotional states.

For many of my gods, emotional states are just not applicable; or at least not in the fashion of human emotional states. But it depends on the god you're talking about. Some gods are emotional states themselves. Deimos, personified aspect of terror, for example. A Tree Spirit on the other hand, doesn't experience animal emotional states, being it... well... is a plant and not an animal. Other spirits/gods I've had contact with are very human-like with respect to emotional states, though.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Bible describes God as insecure in several places, doesn't it? God is described as jealous. Jealousy is a form of insecurity.
Why, and of whom, would an omnipotent God be jealous?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Huh? I'm saying that the people who have worked with different deities, spirits and Daimons/Demons will tell you that they are individuals with their own personal likes and dislikes and who exhibit a range of responses.

Sorry I just don't have any beliefs in deities and such, but still, do these people who communicate with these deities, spirits and Daimons/Demons, actually communicate, or do they through their own emotions make what they believe happen ?.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Sorry I just don't have any beliefs in deities and such, but still, do these people who communicate with these deities, spirits and Daimons/Demons, actually communicate, or do they through their own emotions make what they believe happen ?.

Yeah, they communicate in various ways.

Sees

Dragonslayer

Experience is the only way to really know for your self.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Experience is the only way to really know for your self.

Yes I see that, but even first hand experience, is still your emotions that you get from that experience, even if you were enlightened, the experience is not what IS, its always secondary.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Yes I see that, but even first hand experience, is still your emotions that you get from that experience, even if you were enlightened, the experience is not what IS, its always secondary.

Right I can't know if I'm talking to a man from Australia or a computer program :D For usable framework I take you as a mystic Aussie regardless of what you truly are.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Right I can't know if I'm talking to a man from Australia or a computer program :D For usable framework I take you as a mystic Aussie regardless of what you truly are.

And what is a mystic, what is your feeling of what a mystic is, is it second hand or your own experience, and if it is your own experience, what emotions do you attach to that experience, can you truly grasp what is beyond the experience ?.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Mystic is broad from one who experiences mystical experiences to one who feels home with existence to one who feels one with All or God or Universe...endless takes.

I only attach awe and wonder to my own mystical experiences. If I feel deep peace and connected to life, earth, friends and family I don't label it or see it as a revelation.