• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God Really Have a Gender/Sex?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
What do you mean by the man is the protector and provider?
He carries the responsibility of family goals how? Like he decides things like if the family will move house? If the family will go on holiday?
The wife supports by packing the luggage? The man books the tickets?
I seriously don't understand...

My understanding of a relationship like this is that the man of the house is ultimately responsible for making the decisions for what is best for the family. When he is considered the provider and the protector, he brings to the home what he feels is best, and he protects the family from whatever outside environmental factors he feels is detrimental to the family. Within that realm, however, it is argued that a woman has the freedom to choose how to apply the decisions that man makes.

Under these conditions, a woman may not have as many freedoms as a man and is subject to his decisions, but it is argued that she is not as vulnerable to the outside harsh world as a man is, and therefore in a way seen as privileged with those protections in place.

Those who advocate these "complimentarian" gender roles typically support their stance with these arguments. They will also introduce biological functions as further evidence for gender roles (a woman lactates, a man has testosterone, etc.).

My experience has shown me there are a number of women and men who are happy to feel as if all their problems are overseen, and they can just let somebody else make the decisions. What I think the traditional gender roles do is tell only half the story, and assume that males overall do not want to fulfill a submissive role in a power-distinct relationship, or that females are not suited to a leadership role, or that males will not be happy if females dominate or become assertive.

I have not found that to be the case across the board. There are too many variables with personality types, religious beliefs and non-beliefs, and cultural dynamics to assume a one-size-fits-all formula for gender in relationships.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
It means the man kills the hyenas and the woman just kills the wildebeests.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
And Simba learns Hakuna Matata and escapes the entire system for a few years.

He did spend a lot of time with that lovely gay couple in the woods. Not sure which of them was supposed to be the 'protector/provider'... oh well, so much for stereotypes :)

Wherenextcolumbus

My understanding of a relationship like this is that the man of the house is ultimately responsible for making the decisions for what is best for the family. When he is considered the provider and the protector, he brings to the home what he feels is best, and he protects the family from whatever outside environmental factors he feels is detrimental to the family. Within that realm, however, it is argued that a woman has the freedom to choose how to apply the decisions that man makes.

Under these conditions, a woman may not have as many freedoms as a man and is subject to his decisions, but it is argued that she is not as vulnerable to the outside harsh world as a man is, and therefore in a way seen as privileged with those protections in place.

Those who advocate these "complimentarian" gender roles typically support their stance with these arguments. They will also introduce biological functions as further evidence for gender roles (a woman lactates, a man has testosterone, etc.).

My experience has shown me there are a number of women and men who are happy to feel as if all their problems are overseen, and they can just let somebody else make the decisions. What I think the traditional gender roles do is tell only half the story, and assume that males overall do not want to fulfill a submissive role in a power-distinct relationship, or that females are not suited to a leadership role, or that males will not be happy if females dominate or become assertive.

I have not found that to be the case across the board. There are too many variables with personality types, religious beliefs and non-beliefs, and cultural dynamics to assume a one-size-fits-all formula for gender in relationships.

Alright, so an example would be the husband says the family can't watch a movie because it is too violent and they have to obey.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
every ship has one captain and one 2nd mate. Every football team has one Captain and one vice captain. Every kitchen has one head chef, Why? Because you can't have two heads.... you need one head making the decisions and one to support them.

None of those are intimate relationships.

If you think its weakness to submit, I'd say you are wrong. It takes a very strong person to submit and women are stronger then men when it comes to submitting. ( that might explain why the nations and their male heads are always at war with each other, but thats another thread entirely )

Submission is not a virtue. What is this, a BDSM discussion? There's other approaches besides dominance and submission. Time to grow up.

I think its a mistake to take the feminist view as the only right view. Their view is that women should take the role of men in society. I think thats wrong and I wont join in with that wrong view.

Feminism says that women and men should have equal rights and equal opportunities. If a woman has proven to be a capable leader, then there's no reason why she shouldn't be giving the opportunity.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Alright, so an example would be the husband says the family can't watch a movie because it is too violent and they have to obey.

Pretty much. It's assumed that they obey because they ought to see the father/husband as the leader and the one who is ultimately responsible for their well-being.

Of course, such a system when not carefully granted to a submissive for having any say in any boundaries of the dominants behavior can easily be exploited in complete favor of the husband/father. Husband at that point without a line drawn by the wife that HE must honor and respect can easily extend his "no" to a violent movie to a "no" to any other of his wife's wishes, including a desire to sleep instead of having sex with him.

What I have found throughout the years I've been at RF is that nobody has ever answered the question of who a dominant husband must answer to if not his wife. Most often, the answer is that he must be accountable to God, but in this lifetime? There isn't any immediate accountability for a husband who can abuse his power for his own gains.

Going back to the OP about God's gender, what I have found is a distinct parallel between that mindset that a husband should not answer to his wife, that she must submit to him and he draws the boundaries for his own behavior, and the mindset that a patriarchal God is not accountable to anybody for his actions and his behavior. Basically, the mindset is "Yes, it's harsh, and it may seem cruel, but he has his reasons, and we need to respect him for it."

Strange. And people buy into that.

Anton LaVey who authored the Satanic Bible once said that "man creates his gods..."

It's clear to see in this thread that this axiom is true. Posters here who believe God exists actually struggle to project human gender/sex and/or gender role onto god.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
What do you mean by the man is the protector and provider?
He carries the responsibility of family goals how? Like he decides things like if the family will move house? If the family will go on holiday?
The wife supports by packing the luggage? The man books the tickets?
I seriously don't understand...

I guess we are looking at things from very different perspectives. The perspective im looking from is that of the roles assigned to men from the bible.

God places responsibility on men for the goings on of the family and the wider community. And because he carries the weightier responsibility before God, ie he is the one held to account, it is only right that he be the one to make the final decisions on things seeing he is the one who had to answer for them.

Wherenextcolumbus

I guess we are looking at things from very different perspectives. The perspective im looking from is that of the roles assigned to men from the bible.

God places responsibility on men for the goings on of the family and the wider community. And because he carries the weightier responsibility before God, ie he is the one held to account, it is only right that he be the one to make the final decisions on things seeing he is the one who had to answer for them.

But why does he have to answer for them? why is he held to account because he is male?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
But why does he have to answer for them? why is he held to account because he is male?

thats like asking why the fridge has to be the appliance to keep the food cold, and why do we have to wash ourselves in the bath or shower, and why must it be the oven that cooks the food.

Its all in the design and function for which the designer purposed it.

Wherenextcolumbus

thats like asking why the fridge has to be the appliance to keep the food cold, and why do we have to wash ourselves in the bath or shower, and why must it be the oven that cooks the food.

Its all in the design and function for which the designer purposed it.

How are males designed to be more accountable?

Edit: it may be obvious to you but it isn't to me. What are the differences between men and women that would make the male more accountable?

Last edited by a moderator:

graalbaum

Triple Sun
It sounds like a stupid question. I've sincerely asked this question to Christians who come up to me in real life, and they insist that God is male and the "Father." And they insist that God can't be a "mother," or female.

I've learned in basic junior high science class that to be male usually you need a Y + X Chromosome. To be a female usually you need a X + X chromosome. The first point is it seems that gender/sex differentiation is associated with biological components we call "chromosomes."

So my question is:

Being that God is a spirit person, or non-physical, or non-biological, does God have chromosomes? How is a spirit being to have a sex or gender? In all sincerity, if we say that God is a man and the father, does that mean he has male genitalia and vestigial nipples? And what good are those for? Conversely, if we say that such and such spirit or deity is a "Goddess," does that mean this Goddess has breasts, mammary glands, a uterus, fallopian tubes, and the rest of the stuff?

How does God have his gender? What gives a spirit thing sex or gender, and why would spirit beings need gender? To reproduce? To have sex? For cosmetic purposes?
God is male, female and neither. Polarity has three forms. In the bible when God I s mentioned it is to signify how God manifests and certain aspects and attributes. The Christian logic that youm mentioned, is just plainn ignorance, mainly due to translation.

Last edited:

graalbaum

Triple Sun

Edit: it may be obvious to you but it isn't to me. What are the differences between men and women that would make the male more accountable?

quickly

men can pee up a wall easier
women scream better
men lose weight easier

graalbaum

Triple Sun
Anton LaVey who authored the Satanic Bible once said that "man creates his gods..."

It's clear to see in this thread that this axiom is true. Posters here who believe God exists actually struggle to project human gender/sex and/or gender role onto god.

its clear to me that you haven't explored this subject at all, that frankly its like a child's understanding of the subject. But then, that is hardly shocking. Anthropomorphisation is but a mere blip in the understanding of thr divine

"Light and Darkness, life and death, right and left, are brothers of one another. They are inseparable. Because of this neither are the good good, nor evil evil, nor is life life, nor death death. For this reason each one will dissolve into its earliest origin. But those who are exalted above the world are indissoluble, eternal.,"

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

They were created to be the caretakers of their families. As the caretaker, they must ensure the wellbeing of their families. If they sit back and do nothing and expect the wife to handle everything, when something goes wrong he is held accountable because the role God assigned him was to be in that position of oversight. And if he fails to provide adequate oversight, he will be held accountable for that failure.

graalbaum

Triple Sun
They were created to be the caretakers of their families. As the caretaker, they must ensure the wellbeing of their families. If they sit back and do nothing and expect the wife to handle everything, when something goes wrong he is held accountable because the role God assigned him was to be in that position of oversight. And if he fails to provide adequate oversight, he will be held accountable for that failure.

you do realize this is no longer the bronze age?(ie biblical times)

Athan

It sounds like a stupid question. I've sincerely asked this question to Christians who come up to me in real life, and they insist that God is male and the "Father." And they insist that God can't be a "mother," or female.

I've learned in basic junior high science class that to be male usually you need a Y + X Chromosome. To be a female usually you need a X + X chromosome. The first point is it seems that gender/sex differentiation is associated with biological components we call "chromosomes."

So my question is:

Being that God is a spirit person, or non-physical, or non-biological, does God have chromosomes? How is a spirit being to have a sex or gender? In all sincerity, if we say that God is a man and the father, does that mean he has male genitalia and vestigial nipples? And what good are those for? Conversely, if we say that such and such spirit or deity is a "Goddess," does that mean this Goddess has breasts, mammary glands, a uterus, fallopian tubes, and the rest of the stuff?

How does God have his gender? What gives a spirit thing sex or gender, and why would spirit beings need gender? To reproduce? To have sex? For cosmetic purposes?
I've had this discussion in other forums as well as a previous thread here. According to LDS Doctrine, God is a perfected being of flesh and bone. A former LDS prophet said "Man is as God once was". It makes sense, as in the Bible it teaches us to become perfect even as the "Father is perfect".