• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does It Matter?

Super Universe

Defender of God
Lets say you are walking home from work in the big city and you pass an alleyway and see someone laying hurt. You try to help, she's barely breathing, you run for help then return to the woman.

The paramedics come and the police, you leave a statement then go on home.

A few days later the police arrest you for rape and battery of the woman. No one comes to your defense because you are pretty much a loner.

The woman lies in a coma for weeks then passes on while you are tried, convicted, and sentenced to life in prison.

Twenty years later you die in prison and not a single person believed you were innocent.

Here's the question, does it matter that you really did not commit the crime?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I would hope it matters to you. Though it probably doesn't matter to anyone else. The world is full of true stories just like this. Few bother to listen to them though.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
There are two subjective reasons I have for saying yes.

One being, and this is entirely situational [and perhaps out of the realm of the question], history clears you of the crime. Although you can not sit on the fruits of public knowledge while dead, your name and/or ancestors will. Your case could also be used to influence the public into taking a deeper look at convictions. After all, how would this come about without any witness?

The second reason I say yes is a personal one. Inner peace. Knowing you did not commit the crime you are convicted of, and accepting that fact, you can live your life differently than someone struck with guilt. You probably saved this woman's life. How many people in this world live Shakespeare? I have not been placed in such a situation, but I suspect someone who allowed this woman to die has a much harder time finding internal peace.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Do you know what prison life is like?.........
Sitting waiting for 20 years, knowing you didn't do it, would do you loads of harm, it would make you angry, frustrated, trapped and so strike out unless disciplined to let go and serve Oneness instead.....
So would it matter??.......can you imagine you would be thinking, "why did i help them"....so no good for the soul either as you would be walking into more Ego and less Oneness....
Thxz for the question just realized why i keep flipping generally, don't feel like Yeshua died for peoples for a reason, it was murder and people call that sacrifice....witnessing it in a vision again, has made me all that list, for some reason and still trying to work out why....
So Maybe also great, great grand children would also still feel remorse and hurt by the whole thing also, at the injustice…

kadzbiz

Lets say you are walking home from work in the big city and you pass an alleyway and see someone laying hurt. You try to help, she's barely breathing, you run for help then return to the woman. The paramedics come and the police, you leave a statement then go on home. A few days later the police arrest you for rape and battery of the woman. No one comes to your defense because you are pretty much a loner. The woman lies in a coma for weeks then passes on while you are tried, convicted, and sentenced to life in prison. Twenty years later you die in prison and not a single person believed you were innocent. Here's the question, does it matter that you really did not commit the crime?

Does it matter to whom? Me doing the time? Absolutely. Relatives of the victim? Sure, they feel a perpetrator has been dealt with, taken off the street. The cops? Sure, they felt they've done their job well. The courts? Sure, they feel justice has been served.

But how would this happen anyway? What evidence have I been found guilty on? What was my lawyer doing? DNA should've absolved me anyway.

Ozzie

Lets say you are walking home from work in the big city and you pass an alleyway and see someone laying hurt. You try to help, she's barely breathing, you run for help then return to the woman.

A few days later the police arrest you for rape and battery of the woman. No one comes to your defense because you are pretty much a loner.

The woman lies in a coma for weeks then passes on while you are tried, convicted, and sentenced to life in prison.

Twenty years later you die in prison and not a single person believed you were innocent.

This sort of example matters a great deal in arguing against capital punishment. I heard an horrendous story recently coming from the US about a guy wrongly accused of shooting a State Trooper whose head caught on fire whilst in the electric chair. Since then they resort to lethal injection. But what difference does method make to someone wrongly accused?

Ciscokid

I would think only for family and friends. They are the ones that will be impacted.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It matters to every one touched by it.

But especially to you and God.

The Beatitudes cover it very well

Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

Blessed are the poor in spirit, the kingdom of heaven is theirs.

Blessed are the gentle, they shall inherit the land

Blessed are those who morn, they shall be consoled.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for justice. The justice of God shall be theirs.

Blessed are the merciful, mercy shall be shown unto them.

Blessed are the pure of heart, they shall behold their God.

Blessed are those who bring peace, they shall be children of God

Blessed are those who suffer in the cause of right, the kingdom of heaven is theirs.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Do you know what prison life is like?.........
Sitting waiting for 20 years, knowing you didn't do it, would do you loads of harm, it would make you angry, frustrated, trapped and so strike out unless disciplined to let go and serve Oneness instead.....
So would it matter??.......can you imagine you would be thinking, "why did i help them"....so no good for the soul either as you would be walking into more Ego and less Oneness....
Thxz for the question just realized why i keep flipping generally, don't feel like Yeshua died for peoples for a reason, it was murder and people call that sacrifice....witnessing it in a vision again, has made me all that list, for some reason and still trying to work out why....
So Maybe also great, great grand children would also still feel remorse and hurt by the whole thing also, at the injustice…

I never said internal peace is easy. :D

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Yes it does matter because you know you didn't do it and God knows you didn't do it.

Dr. Nosophoros

Well yes, it does to you, no matter what happens. The purpose of institutions is to break you, but if you have done no wrong there is nothing to break.

that would suck but there are many people in prison for crimes they didnt commit -- dna usually will set you free but in the whole realm of things - it doesnt matter either way its just the hand you were dealt

Caina

Apostate Heretic

Nope, those who care about me and that I care about would know the truth. Yes it would be sad, but it wouldnt matter in the scheme of things;)