• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Love Subvert Society's Norms?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Does love subvert society's norms? Is love dangerous to the established social order or to the mainstream morality? Why or why not?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Depends. Arguably, the norm is arranged marriage for political and financial alliance, and this whole "marriage for love" thing is a radical upset.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Depends. Arguably, the norm is arranged marriage for political and financial alliance, and this whole "marriage for love" thing is a radical upset.

I think you're on to something there. I recall reading some time ago that the Catholic Church opposed romantic love at first because it reckoned romantic love was subversive.

Nessa Nenharma

Goddess of my Domain
Does love subvert society's norms? Is love dangerous to the established social order or to the mainstream morality? Why or why not?

I believe that sustained love is dangerous to the established social order. In a society where divorce is high and couples counseling is prevelant, yes, sustained love is dangerous. Too many people are going with the socail norm and not allowing themselves to love, live, and be loved. It's all about 'how much can I get in alimony?, what will this cost me in child support?, or what things do I have joint ownership of?'

I think more people need to subvert society's norms on a lot of things, and the main one is love, sex, relationship, whatever you want to lable it as.

:bb:

Nessa