• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does your dialect match where you live?

Ablaze

Buddham Saranam Gacchami
Minneapolis/St. Paul - spot-on - I spent the first 22 years of my life in the Twin Cities, never having left the upper Midwest in that time.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I seem so be placed somewhere between Nevada and California (particularly Reno, Modesto and Salinas). Of course I have never even set foot in the entire USA yet. :p

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
Cool survey, it got where I am from originally, I guess I still speak that way !

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The irony is that here in the Detroit area I've been told so many times that I have a foreign-sounding accent, but the irony is that I do have a Yooper twang that's Midwestern with a Scandinavian twist.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It does not work with English English It named no towns and showed only one main map.
the deepest red was in New York The least like were north and central parts of the country.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Not in the slightest! I am told I speak like an angry Englishman which may just be true. My dialect does not match the typical "African American Vernacular of English" which is accustomed to where I live. I often add in words like hath, tis, shall, shan't or doth.

I have very little in common in comparison to where I was raised. The amount of disconnect I have with the community I live in astonishes me often. My language is just another partition of my severing of communal upbringing. Sadly the aging expression "It Takes a City to Raise a Child" does not int he slightest manner apply to me since I took after nobody in my city yet alone family.
To be honest it is sort of onerous to even talk with family members considering that our language presets differ drastically.

Last edited:

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Here's a link to a test of your dialect to see if it matches where you live: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0

I took it and definitely matched the area.

I was born in New Jersey, moved to Florida when I was 11, then to Oregon in my 30's, then to New Orleans in 2000 where I live now. Surprisingly my dialect most matched that of Jackson, Mississippi! That can't be right! The word most associated with my Northeastern upbringing was "sneakers". The word most closely associated with New Orleans was "neutral gound", one of many unique terms we use here:

[youtube]cyR2bZDyOSQ[/youtube]
Unusual New Orleans expressions (from YEAH YOU RITE!) - YouTube

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It was very accurate for me. The three cities were a hundred miles away from me but the red area of the map covered where I'm from.

One problem is that I'm aware of the multiple ways to say things, so I often don't stick to any one particular word for something, so for a few of my answers I tried to pick the one I use most often, or think of first.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
I took the test again, it asked some different questions, and it pegged me correctly as being from the area centered around New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Jackson, Miss.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Hmm, I'm a Saudi Arab and I grew up using American English accent. I kept answering for a long time and the whole map became mostly red. Well except for a very tiny puny little (you get the point) area in blue.

Is it getting shy or something? :)