• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Educational statues

How much about history have you learned from statues in your hometown?

• Total voters
In discussions about the merits of keeping controversial statues, some people have argued that they serve an educational purpose that makes them worthwhile beyond any artistic or historical merits. It sort of sounds like it makes sense, but are they really a useful learning mechanism?

This made me think about what I had learned from the existence of statues that were around me when I was growing up, and came to the conclusion that it was basically nothing. This is despite living in one of the most statue-dense cities in the world.

So I was wondering what other people's experiences were of learning from statues in their hometown in terms of either the statue itself, being told about the statue or being motivated to learn by a statue. What knowledge that you would not have otherwise been exposed to did you acquire?

179px-David_Hume_statue%2C_Edinburgh.JPG

This statue actually made me less knowledgeable. For years I thought this "Hume" chap wearing a toga was one of these single-named Greek blokes like Plato or Aristotle until I was in my late teens :oops:

There is also a statue for Sir Walter Scott, not just a statue, but one covered by a 200 foot tall gothic monument. What I learned from this, he wrote books and used to be quite popular.

A 150 foot tall column has a chap called Robert Dundas on the top, had no idea who he was, other than being some generic toff, until people started to talk about cancelling him.

EH2_GB_S019-001.jpg

Adam Smith statue? I learned there was a person called Adam Smith who previously lived and did something of note.

There's a statue of George IV, one of the the most useless kings in history. Although you wouldn't know this from the statue of course.

There's some religious philanthropist dude whose name I forget, and a statue of Alexander Fleming, which I just found out is actually James Young Simpson and I had misremembered it. There are dozens more.

In fact, looking online at a list of statues, in very prominent places, that I had seen hundreds of times, I realised I didn't even know who many of them were supposed to be.

I think the only statues I have learned anything at all from are one of a dog who sat on his master's grave for years, and Wojcek the soldier bear who was a bear that was friends with some Polish soldiers.

Maybe that's the key, Kids like bears and dog, but aren't massively interested in learning about the lives of Duggald Stewart, James Clark Stewart or Walter Montagu Douglas Scott, 5th Duke of Buccleuch. So if you want them to learn about history, get rid of all the humans and replace them with Granville the Civil War Gibbon or Chester the Confederate Cat :D

What have you learned from statues in your hometown (not from things you saw on your holidays)?

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Bugger all. I only know of there being one statue in my city. If it has a plaque I've not looked at it. I know who the statue is of and I can't imagine the plaque would say anything other than "job title" and dates of birth and death.

Erebus

Nothing. I barely notice statues at all to be honest and I don't think I've ever felt the urge to learn more about who they represent.

I've long thought that the people who argue in favour of keeping controversial statues up would be better off arguing for the preservation of art rather than the preservation of history. The act of removing a statue may well inspire people to learn more about history than the statue itself ever did.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
If we think that in Spain, there is the highest monument to Christopher Columbus in the world...well...
It is very educational. The Spanish are incredibly proud of that monument, and the monuments dedicated to that historical character, in general.
But they do get mystified whenever they hear of the umpteenth removal of CC's statues in the United States.

Statues often portray despicable characters. It is a fact. And the reasons can be countless. But they still are educational because they have a significant historical and artistic value.

I can mention my own experience. I grew up in Sicily. In Sicily there are statues of mythological figures in almost every fountain. They are statues from Greek or Roman mythology.

I recall this: the rape of Proserpina: it is educational because it is mythology. Even if it portrays a rape scene.

d9ce26f91e5337c26d532684a40e9aef--catania-fontana.jpg

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
If we think that in Spain there is the highest monument to Christopher Columbus in the world...well...
It is very educational. The Spanish are incredibly proud of that monument, and the monuments dedicated to that historical character, in general.
But they do get mystified whenever they hear the umpteenth removal of CC's statues in the United States.

In what sense is it educational?
By that, I mean, what did you actually learn by looking at the statues? If you tell me you wouldn't have heard of Columbus otherwise... oh boy...

Statues often portray despicable characters. It is a fact. And the reasons can be countless. But they still are educational because they have a significant historical and artistic value.

I can mention my own experience. I grew up in Sicily. In Sicily there are statues of mythological figures in almost every fountain. It is marvelous. They are statues from Greek or Roman mythology.

I recall this: the rape of Proserpina: it is educational because it is mythology. Even if it portrays a rape scene.

d9ce26f91e5337c26d532684a40e9aef--catania-fontana.jpg

Erm...

It doesn't look like it is related to rape...

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I've learned some from the war monument, names of ancestor of friends who died for France.

There is also a bust of Guillaume Delfaud. Yes unknown to me too until i investigated. Before the revolution this was a key parish in the in the diocese of Sarlat. Guillaume Delfaud was the archpriest, he was murdered at the time of the revolution. He was canonised in 1926.

delfaud-william.jpg

RestlessSoul

When I was about 15, someone bet me a spring roll from the local Chinese takeaway, that I couldn't climb onto the shoulders of a statue of Lord Palmerston in a park in Southampton. I lost the bet, but I did find out eventually who Lord Palmerston was; something to do with the repeal of the corn laws, and gunboat diplomacy? No idea what he was doing in that park, getting shat on by pigeons and climbed on by teenagers; it's all a bit hazy now tbh.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
In what sense is it educational?
By that, I mean, what did you actually learn by looking at the statues? If you tell me you wouldn't have heard of Columbus otherwise... oh boy...
Because such statues are studied in art history books. They are valuable works of art.

When I was about 15, someone bet me a spring roll from the local Chinese takeaway, that I couldn't climb onto the shoulders of a statue of Lord Palmerston in a park in Southampton. I lost the bet, but I did find out eventually who Lord Palmerston was; something to do with the repeal of the corn laws, and gunboat diplomacy? No idea what he was doing in that park, getting shat on by pigeons and climbed on by teenagers; it's all a bit hazy now tbh.

I know about Lord Palmerston because in The Simpsons Homer and Barney had a fight over who was the better PM out of Lord Palmerston and Pitt the Elder :D

Because such statues are studied in art history books. They are valuable works of art.

While I agree with what you say, I'm differentiating artistic or historical merit from educational merit.

A statue can, in theory, have educational merit without historical or artistic merit, or historical and artistic merit without educational.

Heyo

Veteran Member
In discussions about the merits of keeping controversial statues, some people have argued that they serve an educational purpose that makes them worthwhile beyond any artistic or historical merits. It sort of sounds like it makes sense, but are they really a useful learning mechanism?

This made me think about what I had learned from the existence of statues that were around me when I was growing up, and came to the conclusion that it was basically nothing. This is despite living in one of the most statue-dense cities in the world.

So I was wondering what other people's experiences were of learning from statues in their hometown in terms of either the statue itself, being told about the statue or being motivated to learn by a statue. What knowledge that you would not have otherwise been exposed to did you acquire?

179px-David_Hume_statue%2C_Edinburgh.JPG

This statue actually made me less knowledgeable. For years I thought this "Hume" chap wearing a toga was one of these single-named Greek blokes like Plato or Aristotle until I was in my late teens :oops:

There is also a statue for Sir Walter Scott, not just a statue, but one covered by a 200 foot tall gothic monument. What I learned from this, he wrote books and used to be quite popular.

A 150 foot tall column has a chap called Robert Dundas on the top, had no idea who he was, other than being some generic toff, until people started to talk about cancelling him.

EH2_GB_S019-001.jpg

Adam Smith statue? I learned there was a person called Adam Smith who previously lived and did something of note.

There's a statue of George IV, one of the the most useless kings in history. Although you wouldn't know this from the statue of course.

There's some religious philanthropist dude whose name I forget, and a statue of Alexander Fleming, which I just found out is actually James Young Simpson and I had misremembered it. There are dozens more.

In fact, looking online at a list of statues, in very prominent places, that I had seen hundreds of times, I realised I didn't even know who many of them were supposed to be.

I think the only statues I have learned anything at all from are one of a dog who sat on his master's grave for years, and Wojcek the soldier bear who was a bear that was friends with some Polish soldiers.

Maybe that's the key, Kids like bears and dog, but aren't massively interested in learning about the lives of Duggald Stewart, James Clark Stewart or Walter Montagu Douglas Scott, 5th Duke of Buccleuch. So if you want them to learn about history, get rid of all the humans and replace them with Granville the Civil War Gibbon or Chester the Confederate Cat :D

What have you learned from statues in your hometown (not from things you saw on your holidays)?
There are no statues in the rural little town I live now but I learned a bit from statues in Bremen where I lived before.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Some statues might have a short description of what the person did or what is being commemorated, so those might have some educational value. Then there are others of people who may have been famous when the statue was built, but later generations might pass by it and think "who is this guy?"

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I grew up in Ottawa, the capital of Canada, and in Toronto, the capital of Ontario. With government so close at hand, I had access to lots of statues, especially around Parliament Hill in Ottawa, and around Queen's Park (the seat of Ontario's legislature).

Explore the statues, monuments and memorials of the Hill – Canada's Parliamentary Precinct - PWGSC

7 monuments of Queen’s Park

I actually spent a considerable amount of time wandering among those monuments, and reading whatever was written on the plaques. Since I can read Latin (to a limited but useful degree), I also love reading inscriptions on monuments and art works in the cathedrals and churches of the places I've visited in England and France. Do I learn everything from them? No, of course not, but I get an introduction and that introduction often enough leads to an interest that leads me to look further into the history of the individuals and events depicted.

Maybe it's not so much that statues teach us things, but that they can spark the interest of those with the desire to learn more for themselves. I like learning things. I'm guessing not everybody does.

pearl

In discussions about the merits of keeping controversial statues, some people have argued that they serve an educational purpose that makes them worthwhile beyond any artistic or historical merits.

Others have made this suggestion which I agree with. As far as history is concerned, don't destroy the statues, remove them to a Museum of History.

Others have made this suggestion which I agree with. As far as history is concerned, don't destroy the statues, remove them to a Museum of History.

I certainly wouldn't advocate destroying anything of significant historical or artistic value, but many statues don't actually meet these.

For example, most of the Confederate ones aren't remotely historic, but are generic and often mass produced 20th C kitsch from as late as the 1960s.

Spending limited budgets to preserve generic tat in perpetuity seems like a terrible way to promote historical understanding.

That's not really the topic of this thread though, just what have people learned from statues.

Have you learnt anything from statues in your hometown that you wouldn't have otherwise known?

Heyo

Veteran Member
What did you learn other than that you can balance a chicken, a cat and a dog on top of a donkey? :D

bremer-stadtmusikanten.jpg
People can make a fuss about the erection of statues more so than about the removal.

deserteur.jpg

This is a small statue, within a community centre, dedicated to "the unknown deserter". Until then I didn't know how many militarists there were and how vehemently they fought to not honour the smarter people.