• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elevator speech

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
From talking with a dozen or so different UU members, I have a feeling that no two members have the same "Elevator speech". When someone asks you what a Unitarian Universalist is, what do you say?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
From talking with a dozen or so different UU members, I have a feeling that no two members have the same "Elevator speech". When someone asks you what a Unitarian Universalist is, what do you say?
Unitarian Universalism is a liberal religious tradition, rooted in Judaism and Christianity, heavily influenced by the Eastern traditions via Transcendentalism, that now embraces the truths of many faith traditions while recognizing that none have a monopoly (or even got it all right, including ourselves). We do not all agree on the nature of God (or if there even is one), but we are united in our faith in the inherent worth of humanity, and the need for human action to pursue social justice.

Last edited:

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Elevator speech, take two:
Unitarian Universalism is a religion based on the inherent worth of every person and our interdependency to one another. Because of that, we emphasize relationship over creed. We encourage people to bring their own experience of truth to add to our chorus; we welcome people as their whole, complex selves; and we work for a world that is more just, so that the comfort and joy we find within our own walls can be spread in ever widening circles.

Trey of Diamonds

Like Lilithu, I have more than one. My favorite is the one I use at work.

We're the old hippies who get together to drink coffe during the day and have a few beers at night all the while discussing what we think about religion and spirituality.

Out of all that the only comment I ever get is "You drink beer at church?" with an occasional reference to old hippies and flashbacks as well. If the person I'm talking to is more serious about wanting to know about UU I'll go into more detail and that does happen on occasion.

J Bryson

Same here...I was punk wannabe back in the day.

I say "We believe that everyone is responsible for his or her own spiritual development, and that it's best to concentrate on taking care of each other, and making the world the best place possible". I usually get a smile from that, along with some variation of "Well, that sounds fine!"

SoCalUni

If I am asked I just tell them that we respect everyone's right to make their own choices, we expect our members to bring differences with them and contribute to our diversity that our acceptance does not stop at the doors of our congregation but is extended to all and that the most important principle is a kind, loving and respectful relationship with all members of humanity.
:D

J Bryson

If I am asked I just tell them that we respect everyone's right to make their own choices, we expect our members to bring differences with them and contribute to our diversity that our acceptance does not stop at the doors of our congregation but is extended to all and that the most important principle is a kind, loving and respectful relationship with all members of humanity.
:D

Well, sure...but can you say that five times fast?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Recent elevator "speech" I gave to someone at work. I don't usually talk about religion at work, but had mentioned something about going to church on Sundays while we were trying to plan a lunch for a few of us. My co-worker was shocked that I went to church and wanted to know what kind of church allowed me in the door! Anyway, this was the gist of it:

Unitarian Universalism is a liberal religion that is open and welcoming to all people and does not take a stance on matters of faith (i.e. whether there is a god, afterlife, etc.), but rather allows for personal revelation and belief. We are a community of many different people who all have the same goal: to make the world a more peaceful and just place for all.

Trey of Diamonds

My co-worker was shocked that I went to church and wanted to know what kind of church allowed me in the door!

You know, I get that a lot too. But usually its from Baptists family and friends who know me well. :D When I tell them I teach Sunday School they take a couple steps back and look up, sure that bolts of lightening are sure to follow. Sometime I swear there's nothing more fun than scaring Baptists. :cool:

spectrm

A Geek, Transcended
I actually haven't attended service - I've been feeling a bit spiritually disconnected...hence the joining of a community forum.

I haven't practiced my 'elevator speech' much...no elevator speech has every convinced me of a religion, and I usually find the occasions where the 'elevator speech' is necessary to be cases where we'd be found guilty of proselytizing. But occasionally, I've had to give a brief run-down. So, my speech and a brief anecdote.

"It's a group of people who were dissatisfied with the exclusionary practices of some other faiths and so formed a congregation for self and communal betterment for all those who want to contribute instead of only those with a creed." - which usually gets the response of 'a religion without a creed?'...yes...I mostly know catholics.

But a brief anecdote:
My father-in-law was surprised at me (his atheist son-in-law) attending a church (and even at that, I usually refer to it not as 'going to church' but 'attending congregation'). When he asked:
HIM: "Why would you go to church if you don't believe in god? Isn't the point of church to observe and praise a higher power?"
ME: "Well, I do observe and praise a 'higher power'." - yes, I made the 'bunny-ears'
HIM: "Then how are you atheist and believe in a divine authority?"
ME: "I'm not. I don't believe there's an authority or jurisdiction. I believe god is greater, but not superior".
HIM: "Isn't that the same thing?"
ME: "Well...only if you believe that your car is superior to your car's engine."
HIM: "Isn't it?"
ME: "Well...a car wouldn't be much of anything without an engine, would it?"
HIM: "So now the engine is superior to the car? Are you saying you're superior to god?"

Does this seem like a complete *WHOOSH* - right over his head?

It apparently got him thinking, anyways. He picked up a few Walt Whitman books that day at Borders.

Tinkerbell

New to UU
I know this thread is a few months old but I'm bringing it back to life because I think reading these is helpful in finding ways to describe what UU is to my friends and family (I gave up on coworkers years ago LOL). Right now I just tell people that it's a place where all beliefs are accepted and everyone comes together in fellowship of the human spirit. I guess that's right but I'm so new to all of this... and I've read SO much... I have to do it in one sentence or I'll lose myself in it. LOL!