• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Empathy is not for Everyone

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Why should you put yourself through arduous torture of missing someone, thinking of someone, caring for someone, loving them, and gain nothing in return? Especially when possibly there is someone out there who will.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
As Quag said, this is not quite empathy we're talking about.

Sounds more like love. I don't think there is a 'should'. Love is natural and so this will happen. Love is bound to cause us some pain if the thing we love escapes us. But on the flip side, we'd be empty shells without love.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Doesn't sound like empathy. Sounds like love.

I try never to expect anything from loving someone. Takes all the fun out of it.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I agree, that is not empathy. I don't think we can really help whom we love and who we miss, even if the person you miss doesn't care.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I wouldn`t even say it sounds like love, I would say it sounds like attachment more than anything. (though I am not denying that they do tend to come together 99% of the time, but you seem to be describing the atachment part only)

Love, true love, in my opinion, is it`s own reward. Doing something for someone makes you HAPPY in itself, because you see that person happy because of what you did. (given that you LOVE this person)

The way I see it, Love is simply good for you. Loving others is the best way of loving yourself, and loving yourself is the best way of loving others.

IMHO.

Kerr

Why should you put yourself through arduous torture of missing someone, thinking of someone, caring for someone, loving them, and gain nothing in return? Especially when possibly there is someone out there who will.
I just like caring for someone who doesnt care about me more then I like not caring about someone :p. Its not empathy, though. Or love. Its just caring and I like to care.

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
Empathy is feeling or understanding another person's emotions. Some people have that "gift" or ability whether they want it or not. It can be very useful and enlightening when understood and controlled.
But as other have said, Sum seems to be talking about love or attachment.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah! Why bother caring about people when you can be an anti-social psychopath instead!

Hah, sorry, but that's the first thing that popped into my mind when I read the thread title and then the OP. I jest, but there's a grain of seriousness there. At any rate, demanding something in return from other people is... well, it's not my way of doing things. By Honor's Code, give assistance and kindness to those who need it. No strings attached.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Yeah! Why bother caring about people when you can be an anti-social psychopath instead!

Not exactly what I was saying but alright :D

Hah, sorry, but that's the first thing that popped into my mind when I read the thread title and then the OP. I jest, but there's a grain of seriousness there. At any rate, demanding something in return from other people is... well, it's not my way of doing things. By Honor's Code, give assistance and kindness to those who need it. No strings attached.

Nobody really needs it, but I think there are some who deserve it more than others.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
One could put oneself through those things because they realize they don't "gain nothing in return." What they gain is: miss someone, think of someone, care for someone, love someone.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
'Tis my Code, not yours. You're under no obligation to follow it or agree with it. :D

Nerthus

Wanderlust

I have, many times, put myself through all of this, and I very much doubt they did the same. It's part of life, however, and although at the time I wished I didn't feel that way - it wasn't really something I could control.

As the old saying goes - it is better to have loved and lost, then never to have loved at all - at least experiencing these feelings show that I can. With the bad, there is also good, and I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on the good.

Psychotherapists tend to get what is called "compassion fatigue." Empathy can certainly be painful when the person you are being empathetic to has or is going through a lot. It can take a huge toll on your mind and body.

idav

Being
Premium Member
With the knowledge that you have, is it so easy to forget the suffering you know happens? Even if their suffering is all in their head it is still real suffering. Even the torture we might put ourselves through in a dream, the pain seems real.