• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Engagement Rings rooted from Paganism

Was it not stated in the bible that we should not be influenced by pagans because they are people who are far from God.however as I conducted a study engagement rings as a symbol of love actually rooted from paganism. Should we stop using when it was already universally used?

Me Myself

Back to my username
Was it not stated in the bible that we should not be influenced by pagans because they are people who are far from God.however as I conducted a study engagement rings as a symbol of love actually rooted from paganism. Should we stop using when it was already universally used?

Could you be more specific?

Renji

Ring symbolizes the union of 2 couples who love each other. The love that will be only ended through death (That's why it's circular in shape. It symbolizes love that lasts a lifetime). I don't know how the use of engagement ring become "pagan". Perhaps you could expound your point.

Me Myself

Back to my username
If we are going by that BTW, the catholic priests do the Jnana mudra(hinduist famous hand signal) with their hands when they are making eucharisty.

Also, to join hands together existed in Hinduism from way before I believe. (might be wrong though)

Renji

If we are going by that BTW, the catholic priests do the Jnana mudra(hinduist famous hand signal) with their hands when they are making eucharisty.

Also, to join hands together existed in Hinduism from way before I believe. (might be wrong though)

Not sure of what you are talking about:p

not nom

uhm, no.

mudra.jpg

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
In looking for info, I happened across this:

The tradition of giving a ring for marriage engagement originated from Judaism that was originally a golden nose ring (Chayei Sarah 24:22) given by Eliezer of Damascus to Rebecca,[when?][10] with Saadiah Gaon also citing as a possible source of the practice in the phrase in Nehemiah 7:46 be’nei tabbaot (children of the rings). There, law required it as a money equivalent, shaveh kessef that the bride could own from the first moment of the marriage contract; in Jewish law the bride has to know only that the ring is valued at a minimum of a pe’rutah, a symbolic low-valued coin, the actual value of the contract written in the Ketubah.

=also=

The origin of European engagement in marriage practice is found in the Jewish law (Torah), first exemplified by Abraham, and outlined in the last Talmudic tractate of the Nashim (Women) order, where marriage consists of two separate acts, called erusin (or kiddushin, meaning sanctification), which is the betrothal ceremony, and nissu'in or chupah,[1] the actual ceremony for the marriage. Erusin changes the couple's interpersonal status, while nissu'in brings about the legal consequences of the change of status. (However, in the Talmud and other sources of Jewish law there is also a process, called shidduchin, corresponding to what today is called engagement. Marrying without such an agreement is considered immoral.[2])
This was later adopted in Ancient Greece as the gamos and engeysis rituals, although unlike in Judaism the contract made in front of witness was only verbal.[3] The giving of a ring was eventually borrowed from Judaism by Roman marriage law, with the fiancé presenting it after swearing the oath of marriage intent, and presenting of the gifts at the engagement party.[4]

Now, the 1st entry isn't written well there at points, but it might have been from Judaism. However, the Hebrews were exposed to pagan cultures too so, who knows! But it might have been!

not nom

In looking for info, I happened across this:

Now, the 1st entry isn't written well there at points, but it might have been from Judaism. However, the Hebrews were exposed to pagan cultures too so, who knows! But it might have been!

oh, interesting!

Shermana

Heretic

This is basically true, the idea of the diamond ring was not even a big thing until the 20th century, and the betrothal ring was a Roman concept.

The wedding ring in pagan history - lesson from rome

Doesn't mesh well with Abrahamic beliefs, but people love their blood diamonds and traditions.

Shermana

Heretic
Last edited:

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
</TITLE> <META HTTP-EQUIV="content-type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859- 1"> <TITLE>Shellfish dangers

The Dangers of Shellfish | eHow.com

Eating shellfish is downright dangerous, #1 cause of foodborne paralysis. Even when cooked well. More dangerous than almost any other food type.

And polyester is itchy and almost hurts to even touch.
Heehee, oh stop

How much mercury and sewage were the ancients pumping into the sea? I'm just making an ironic jab at other Biblical restrictions that people don't follow.

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
polyester is made of wool and linen? :p

No, it's a mixture of multiple substances and chemicals.

The initial commandment is a bit obscure, it could be meaning only linen and wool mixtures as to avoid copying Priest garments, or it could be referring to ANY mixture, using linen and wool as an example. Either way, I can only bear 100% cotton or canvas or the like. I simply hate Polyester and any mixture of it. That includes Acrylic.

Edit: Leviticus 19:19 appears to imply ANY kind of mixture of material.

Young's literal:
My statutes ye do keep: thy cattle thou dost not cause to gender with diverse kinds; thy field thou dost not sow with diverse kinds, and a garment of diverse kinds, shaatnez, doth not go up upon thee.
It appears to not actually mention only Wool and Linen, so the Rabbis who rule that you only need to worry about Wool and Linen may not be reading their Torahs very well.

Last edited:

not nom

Young's literal:It appears to not actually mention only Wool and Linen, so the Rabbis who rule that you only need to worry about Wool and Linen may not be reading their Torahs very well.

?

Shatnez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"a garment of diverse kinds, shaatnez, doth not go up upon thee."

now, I'm no expert, I'm just googling ^^ but if shatneez *does* mean wool and linen, then the above sentence is just that padded bible style? like "go there at 5 o clock, even 2 hours after 3 o clock you should go there", if you know what I mean.

but even if it includes all: yes, polyester sucks, but polyester is hardly the only combination of fabrics. besides, you shouldn't do it because it makes sense, but because god says so, right?