• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eurovision. Why was Russia banned from Eurovision but not Israel?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
Why was Russia banned from Eurovision but not Israel?

Russia was banned because of the war in Ukraine.
Israel should have been banned because of the genocide in Gaza

it makes no sense they banned Russia but not Israel. double standards

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Russia was banned because of the war in Ukraine.
Israel should have been banned because of the genocide in Gaza

it makes no sense they banned Russia but not Israel. double standards
The last 2 words explain why.

HonestJoe

Whether you agree of not, Russia is generally perceived as the singular aggressor in Ukraine, and that involved the ongoing war between two Eurovision nations. While I'm totally against the manner in which Israeli has acted in Gaza, they are responding to a terrorist attack and Palestine isn't involved in Eurovision itself. From a colder practical point of view, Eurovision wasn't going to face much backlash from banning Russia, but certainly would if they hadn't. With Israel, they were pretty much dammed if they do and dammed if they don't (like all the other organisations struggling with the same kind of questions). I'm not convinced there was an easy right answer in either case but they are different.

The other question banning Israel would raise is where is the line? If being formally accused of genocide is sufficient, there could well be all sorts of issues with other nations that could be raised. And what happens next year if the conflict is over but the genocide ruling is still pending? What if, several years down the line, they've somehow achieved peace (we can dream) but Israel is then found guilty of genocide?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I have never understood why Israel is in any Euro competition. Does geography not count anymore?
Israel's unhuman horrific taste in music should be enough for a justified ban.

You have been duly warned. Watch video at one's own risk of irreparably damaging one's own mental health and sanity.. . .

rocala

Israel's unhuman horrific taste in music should be enough for a justified ban.
I agree. I lived there for a little while, and as Marlon Brando said "the horror, the horror." My closest brush with insanity was on a bus. The driver was playing a lengthy creation where a woman, apparently in the throes of ecstasy chanted superstar over and over. She would stop to breath occasionally and somebody did a few jangly notes on a piano.

When I got back to London, I made the mistake of telling my friends about it. Having only two words in the lyrics, they managed to learn it and it became their drinking song for use at the end of long pub crawl sessions. Needless to say, I did not join in.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Israel is a political ally to most of Europe. Russia is probably the biggest external threat. Who gets to participate in things and who doesn't is determined by the will of people with political power.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I have never understood why Israel is in any Euro competition. Does geography not count anymore?

The "Euro" refers to the contest's organizer (the European Broadcast Union).

An analogy: the NFL champions win the Vince Lombardi trophy. People who aren't named Vince Lombardi are still allowed to win.