• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ever had a detailed horoscope drawn for yourself?

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
To be technical, I mean a natal chart as may be obvious.

I have and went "Wowers!" when I read the description of my primary personality characteristics that it identified. Bingo, and again, BINGO!

In fact, I re-read the interp every now and again and am awestruck all over again at how very precisely most of it describes my strengths and weaknesses.

Anyone else had a similar experience...or a quite different one?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I've done my own chart, and some for friends. It was part of a process of learning to do astrology.

The thing is, if you're just reading the blurbs and saying, "Wow, that's bang on," you're not doing astrology. You learn more by doing.

Marble

Rolling Marble
I would love to have a detailed vedic horoscope of myself, it is just that I cannot find a trustworthy astrologer. :(

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I vaguely recall the story of Randy collecting birth dates and times from a college class and, later, passing out individual horoscopes. Apparently there was a cacophony of "Wowers ... Bingo ... and again BINGO!" A vote by the class showed that the participants saw an unmistakable and uncanny accuracy. Rand then had each member of the class swap his or her paper with a neighbor of the same sex. Except for the bio in the heading block, everything was identical. Wowers! ;)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

I have and went "Wowers!" when I read the description of my primary personality characteristics that it identified. Bingo, and again, BINGO!

In fact, I re-read the interp every now and again and am awestruck all over again at how very precisely most of it describes my strengths and weaknesses.

Why on Earth, would anyone in their right mind, want a horoscope drawn up?
The mind reels... :thud::faint:

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
I vaguely recall the story of Randy collecting birth dates and times from a college class and, later, passing out individual horoscopes. Apparently there was a cacophony of "Wowers ... Bingo ... and again BINGO!" A vote by the class showed that the participants saw an unmistakable and uncanny accuracy. Rand then had each member of the class swap his or her paper with a neighbor of the same sex. Except for the bio in the heading block, everything was identical. Wowers! ;)

That sounds like a deliberate setup to me which I'd not expect of Randi, but you never know.

I've had software that does individual charts, and it was cheapo enough that there weren't a lot of variations in the descriptions about each person's characteristics for whom I ran a chart. It ran a general explanation that plugged in the sun sign name but then summarized the person's specific characteristics briefly. I spotchecked them here and there, and what was said that was personal was consistent with what the various planets in house, etc. indicate.

My ex-husband and I had the chart I mentioned in the OP done for each of us from the ARE, the Edgar Cayce organization. He was a Libra; I'm a Scorpio, and the two were dramatically different, so I suppose you'd say, "How do you know that this outfit didn't have a few different ones and simply made sure each of you got a different one?" Again, the characteristics identified were consistent with the astrology textbook I had for the specific positions in the sky at that location and time.

Last edited:

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
I've done my own chart, and some for friends. It was part of a process of learning to do astrology.

The thing is, if you're just reading the blurbs and saying, "Wow, that's bang on," you're not doing astrology. You learn more by doing.

I'm sure you do, but I'm not terrific at math, so trying to draw up a chart by hand is somewhat daunting to me.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

A good reading can be spot on, but it takes years to even get close. I have been doing it on and off for about twenty years and I still find it humbling. A good astrologer has to have the communication skills of the best psychologist or counselor, the math skills of an engineer, and the patience of an archaeologist. Needless to say most people do not have all of these traits! I mostly got out of it due to the fact that it takes an inordinate amount of time to honestly process these charts -- although it takes no time now to generate calculations due to computers; the interpretations still take a rather exhaustive process. I still know the math and whatnot to do it by hand and generally have if it is the first times I've used a program, and still own ephemerides, and tables of houses. I'll warn against accepting any interpretations from computers though -- they generally aren't aware of classical 'omens' in charts.

The last few times I have done any astrology I've mostly been focused on horary which is a completely different beast and is more concerned about current happenings. Many deem this practice worthless, but they simply haven't the skill to pull it off -- in my case most of the time I do not consider the issue important enough for the time to read the chart. :D I tend to leave minor issues to chance, and only get down to it in important circumstances.

Few people anymore have the patience to learn the craft right and as frivolous as it seems at first after years of study you are still learning. Horary is even more complicated with a lot of special cases. This and tarot are probably the most underrated things, so deceivingly basic but so unbelievable useful. I typically find tarot easier for daily things personally, and astrology for births/big undertakings.

Last edited: