• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Expect the Sacred

powder21

Always Changing
I thought I would edit this to make myself a little clearer...

Today, during services at my congregation, the question was asked - "What do YOU find sacred?". This got me thinking, because I'm not really sure. I would have to say that what I treasure most is freedom and I guess I could say that I find that sacred. I would like to know what other UU's find sacred, so I thought I would post this thread.

Please share your ideas of what is sacred to you. Thank you.

powder21

Always Changing
Ummm...I posted it here because I wanted to see what other UU's find sacred. But I wouldn't mind reading what others think as well :)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Is this limited to UUs?
Ummm...I posted it here because I wanted to see what other UU's find sacred. But I wouldn't mind reading what others think as well :)
Guitar's Cry thinks like a UU. At least, I find myself often agreeing with him. So I would be interested to read what he thinks as well. :)

Today, during services at my congregation, the question was asked - "What do YOU find sacred?"....Please share your ideas of what is sacred to you. Thank you.
Hmm...., to me EVERYTHING is sacred and NOTHING is sacred. It all depends on the eyes with which one sees things. The universe is sacred so everything is sacred. Yet otoh, even the oldest and most venerated object is trash if it means nothing to you.

So for me the real question is: "what are the things that remind me that everything is sacred?" Those are the things that we generally call "sacred," the markers.

1. I am often reminded of the sacred during moments of surprise. Surprise causes me to sees things in a new light. Surprise doesn't allow me to take things for granted. The times when I am most aware of the interdependent web of existence is when I encounter unexpected moments of beauty, kindness or absurdity. I am extremely grateful for these moments and would call them sacred gifts of the Spirit.

2. I am also reminded of the sacred during ritual. Unlike moments of surprise, these are the opposite of spontaneous. They're specially thought out to hold meaning. Repetition and familiarity makes them even more meaningful, such that it's in your very bones. To me, our flaming chalice, Spirit of Life, and our Seven Principles are sacred.

Hence, I was absolutely aghast when a UU minister suggested that someone take the lit chalice into the bathroom with them when the lights were out. I would never use our chalice as simply a source of light. Even tho, technically, everything including going to the bathroom is sacred, lol. It is because, to me, this destroys the symbolism. Now if one could use the lit chalice to light the bathroom in a way that is still mindful of its sacredness, that would be ok. :angel2:

spiritually inclined

I am not offically a UU, but I agree with the principles and think like UUs.

The sacred is what inspires me to embrace life and my humanity. The main things that do that for me are love, sex, and being with people who are completely open and free with these two things.

James

cityms

As a UU I really prefer to make a differentiation between the mundane or secular, and the sacred. Otherwise one ends up with every act of one's life (lining up at the bank, tying one's shoelaces, tending to take on a pseudo significance - not to say they do not matter). Prayer or meditation for me is sacred, being in a place such as a church is sacred. Unitarians often like to refer to Nature as the manifestation of God, or let us say Spirit (whatever name applies), I put that up for debate.

powder21

Always Changing
Thank you very much for your replies. I was beginning to think nobody was going to answer.