• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Extra Sensory Perception

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
In another work I am suggesting that we took an evolutionary leap and developed a sense to read our own thoughts.

The Conscience or Super ego.

If we can read our own thoughts why couldn't we read someone else's. Thoughts are electrical patterns. The patterns are different but there should be enough similarities that we could figure them out.

Twins seem to have the ability to read each others thoughts wouldn't there patterns be very similar.

Lastly if we read the thoughts we have to deliver what we read to the main hub. Might we then be able to project our thoughts.

What do you think.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
In another work I am suggesting that we took an evolutionary leap and developed a sense to read our own thoughts.

The Conscience or Super ego.

If we can read our own thoughts why couldn't we read someone else's. Thoughts are electrical patterns. The patterns are different but there should be enough similarities that we could figure them out.

Twins seem to have the ability to read each others thoughts wouldn't there patterns be very similar.

Lastly if we read the thoughts we have to deliver what we read to the main hub. Might we then be able to project our thoughts.

What do you think.
We can read or interpret our own thoughts since the processes that create thoughts are occurring in our own brains, and there's nothing linking disparate brains together like some psychic intranet. Thoughts or "mind" is a bit more than electrical patterns, they're intrinsically linked (and a product of) the nervous system: neurons, glial cells, axons, etc. There's no evidence these processes can extend beyond our craniums.

I've read some twin studies and they are far from convincing demonstrations of telepathy or any kind of mental connection- save for the obvious genetic and environmental similarities which would lead twins to have similar personalities and behaviors.

"Lastly if we read the thoughts we have to deliver what we read to the main hub. Might we then be able to project our thoughts."

Not sure what you meant here.....
:confused:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
What did we do with our own thoughts prior to this evolutionary leap?

We speak and store our own thoughts. But we have sensor that picks up thoughts as a third party and gives them back to us as ego or conscience even though we don't ask for them.

This evolutionary leap is what makes us different from the animals. They have thoughts and store them to access them when they need them but they don't have the automatic feedback system or the ego or conscience.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
We can read or interpret our own thoughts since the processes that create thoughts are occurring in our own brains, and there's nothing linking disparate brains together like some psychic intranet. Thoughts or "mind" is a bit more than electrical patterns, they're intrinsically linked (and a product of) the nervous system: neurons, glial cells, axons, etc. There's no evidence these processes can extend beyond our craniums.

I've read some twin studies and they are far from convincing demonstrations of telepathy or any kind of mental connection- save for the obvious genetic and environmental similarities which would lead twins to have similar personalities and behaviors.
":confused:

Thanks for the input but I believe science is looking working parts and not the formula. It also has taken the stance that this is impossible, so sets of experiments to disprove instead of trying to improve. My example would be when think of electricity I Think of E = R I. But I was pondering static electricty. It didn't register with the formula The E in static electricty is incredibly high 10,000's of volts I know the resistance is high as well but there is no current why. There is no storage of the electrons all are released at once so in static electricty there is really no current it is momentary. This what science is doing with the mind concentrating on the electrons and have no real idea of what the electrons are doing.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
We speak and store our own thoughts. But we have sensor that picks up thoughts as a third party and gives them back to us as ego or conscience even though we don't ask for them.

This evolutionary leap is what makes us different from the animals. They have thoughts and store them to access them when they need them but they don't have the automatic feedback system or the ego or conscience.
This reminds me of Julian Jayne's concept of bicameralism. Is he an influence?
bobhikes said:
Thanks for the input but I believe science is looking working parts and not the formula. It also has taken the stance that this is impossible, so sets of experiments to disprove instead of trying to improve. My example would be when think of electricity I Think of E = R I. But I was pondering static electricty. It didn't register with the formula The E in static electricty is incredibly high 10,000's of volts I know the resistance is high as well but there is no current why. There is no storage of the electrons all are released at once so in static electricty there is really no current it is momentary. This what science is doing with the mind concentrating on the electrons and have no real idea of what the electrons are doing.

Perhaps I'm still a bit hazy on what you're saying here, but science is simply a method of investigating the universe- it's an examination of the working parts and formulas. Are you arguing that science inherently decrees ESP as "impossible"? Yet it doesn't, as long as evidence is offered and scientifically valid tests are confirmed. But in the case of ESP, there's been nothing even remotely substantial presented.

And I'm not sure I follow your Ohm's Law vs. static electricity distinction either (I'm no physicist, so it may just be my ignorance)- I thought Faraday demonstrated the similarity of triboelectric effects.

As for ESP, well, I'd love to see some convincing studies but it looks to be destined for the rubbish heap along with N-Rays and orgone energy.