• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faith is empty, yet it is mine.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Everyday I see the face of God. As Lord Krishna; as Lord Shiva; as Sri Devi; as Lord Narasimha. They look back at me in the form of statues and icons.

It is said that these images are homes to the essence and spirit of the Gods when we sing to them. When we perform puja. When we chant and offer food. They come to us while we praise and honor them.

Yet, all I see are images. I don't feel their presence while I've done any devotion. I haven't even done devotion in weeks. Maybe months. It is my duty to uphold dharma and to worship them, but often I don't see them as God. All I see are empty pictures. In turn I feel an emptiness when I am in their presence for worship.

"Just pray more" I am told. "Chant more and be among devotees." "When you go to India it will be real and not just mere information". "Just have more faith"

The faith is there, but where are the warm fuzzies which I'm told comes naturally with worshiping Krishna, the all attractive one? Where is the power I'm supposed to feel when I see the powerful Durga on her tiger destroying Mahishasura? To whom am I supposed to surrender my sins and karma?

Faith is something that's said to be a gift. Something which brings hope and comfort, but where is it? Can it be bought and sold on clearance? The faith is there, but all I can ever feel is an empowering sense of dread and sadness. Nothing will get better. Nothing changes. I see the thread around my body and the shikha on my head and I feel disappointment and dissatisfaction for myself. "These feelings of uselessness are your karma and what you have brought with you" I hear my reflection say back to me.

Honestly, my life would probably be better if I just gave it all up and went back to non-belief. At least then things were simpler. No duties, no regulations, no pesky sins to think about, and no gods to watch over and judge.

Yet, I can't.

While I'm unhappy now, I was just as unhappy then. Believing that there is nothing out in the vastness of the universe was just as terrifying as what I feel now. The struggles of faith are strong, but it is something that I just can't give up. I would rather believe that I'm doing a bad job at spirituality with the possibility of another try after death, than disappearing into a cold void of non-existence.

Belief in a divine presence is something that I inherently have. Even if it isn't always kind or good to me. I can't give up believing that there is something out there. Even if it causes stress and dread, it's better than the alternative.

Nothingness.

Darkness.

A void.

Therefore, I will continue to look at my statues and icons. Singing and offering them light, incense, and food. Continuing to look into their empty, beautiful eyes.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Sorry for this depressive stream of consciousness post. Just the annual dark night for me.

Honestly, it will most likely pass on it's own time, but it's been very strong the past few weeks.

Comment if you wish. Or not, your choice.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Your not the mind body organism that you believe you are, so stop worrying about it and its stories, you are in fact pure Consciousness, the mind will continue to drag you down to its level, so always catch it out.

Kirran

Premium Member
It's hard to be living your life in the world, doing your hobbies and so forth, while also trying to go deep in bhakti. I feel where you're at with this.

"When you go to India" - nope, it's much the same!

It's just about immersing yourself really, sacrificing a lot to go deeper into God and be operating in that sphere in your mind. I'm not sure that there's an easy way around it.

But you're in the best hands, and are totally being looked after.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
The statues and idols used are not the only way to worship. In fact they are the "training wheels" something tangible so that the human mind (because it likes patterns as opposed to "empty voids") can use as a starting point to meditate upon. We don't need them all the time, we don't need to do rituals to connect with the supreme. We don't even need to do it to keep our faith.
It's all familial tradition, all things we do because it's robotic actions we've been taught to mimic Just try to focus on whatever form you think God takes, focus on your emotions towards that image. Do not get bogged down by ritual, it is but taught actions.