• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Family v. Your S/O

Alceste

Vagabond
My family and friends didn't like my ex-fiance and he turned out to be a huge douche. I should have paid closer attention to their impressions. Could have saved myself four years.

The opinion of my friends carries more weight than my family, though. My friends are pretty sharp. My family is OK, but certain members are kind of hostile to outsiders and my father is literally insane.

Wherenextcolumbus

I love my mum and sisters and niece, we are very close and their opinion would effect me, I would feel bad if they didn't like my partner, but it also depends on the reason.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I had been in a 5 year long relationship where I picked my s/o over my family. I missed my family. Wouldn't do that again.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hypothetically speaking, say your family/ close friends didn't like your girlfriend/boyfriend would you still stay with them or leave them alone? Would you risk your relationship with your family for something that can be long term?

I don't need anybody to like my girlfriend/partner; i need to like her, that's it. Everybody else is welcome to like or not like her on their own terms. Some people are totally irrelevant, too. The only people i'd care about at all are my parents, my sister, and, to a lesser degree, my closest and best friends (which are very few). Not in the sense that i'd need any of them to like her, but that i'd be happy if they do. If they don't, too bad, but that's that.

Now, even though i respect my best friends intellect much more than i do my family, my family cares much more about who i end up with than my friends do. As such, they are more important in this regard. Generally, intellectually, or in terms of helping me assess my choice, no opinion would really be very important to me other than my own. I'll listen to those close to me of course, and even those less close if they really want me to know what they think, but in the end, it'll all be of very little importance. Which mostly has to do with the fact that it requires a lot for me to choose who i want to be with in the first place, so it'd be extremely unlikely for any of those people to tell me something i don't already know.

My choice will almost certainly be based on very strong reasons, and as such, anybody having a problem with it in the form of "not liking" her, and to the point of risking my relationship with them, will become of little importance to me. I'd always choose my partner/girlfriend. That said, all of those close to me are cool, and it's extremely unlikely that such a situation would present itself to me. Most importantly of all, it's because we care about each other, and know what are our boundaries.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Hypothetically speaking, say your family/ close friends didn't like your girlfriend/boyfriend would you still stay with them or leave them alone? Would you risk your relationship with your family for something that can be long term?

realistically I put my wife before any other person, group, family...
My wife comes first.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

I'd take into serious consideration what my family/friends were saying. Sometimes other people see someone more clearly than we ourselves do. But I would retain the final judgment for myself, and if I decided my significant other was the person for me, that's what I would go with.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Well, we've actually had this situation. Both of us. As much as I love my family, I chose my partner and sharing my life with him... It was more important to stick to him, if I thought he was the right person for me. I might have not got another person like that.

Some people in my family didn't trust him at first (understandable in the begining - we met on the net), then thought I was making a huge mistake to go live in the UK, that it's not going to work out. Some asked him why he wasn't with a girl from the UK. I was told that I should stay and would find someone in Canada. Turns out they were wrong. Fortunately, my parents love him and were supportive.

His mother objected when he said he was going to propose to me. She still is critical of me... Though I wouldn't go as far as saying she hates me but disapproves.

We both made the choice to go against our family, because we felt we went through enough to know it was going to work. We've been together for about 7 years total (part of that was long distance) and part of that married for 3 1/2. I feel I'm going to be with him for the rest of my life.

Last edited: